December 2019 Survey Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGeologist

Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
Yes I realize it’s early to begin discussing the results of the December survey exam (since results for Nov just came out this week). But how is everyone feeling that has taken it so far? How do you think you did? 

Think I had ~30 that I nailed...10-12 I felt pretty good about...and 8-10 I straight guessed on as I ran outta time...again...

Questions were a lot easier than expected, but they were almost completely different than the types I was expecting based off practice exams. I was lucky enough to have enough time to finish all of the questions minus 2 though. 

I agree. Questions were very different compared to what I saw on practice exams.

Hoping results come out on Monday Jan 6th! 😬

I took Survey on Dec too. It was difficult for me, time flied supper fast and questions were different from question in books. The calculation seem easier but the theory were hard. They asked a lot about contour map, which I didn't focus on much. Hope the results come out soon, so I can register for next quarter.    

Hi everyone,

When you guys took survey this round can you describe how you prepared.... example did you guys use EET or reza book?

I just found out I passed the November surveying exam cycle.  I just studied EET book and the practice exams.  I used the index they provided so I could find pages/references quickly, but the idea is to be able to do most of the problems without having to use the reference.  I mostly used the book for terms and ideas about meridians, photogrammetry, map scales, datums, etc. I've taken it multiple times.  I took the Civil PE Surveying Review Course as well but did not find it very helpful at all. I didn't have a lot of time to study either since I have a family and young kids, so it was mostly evenings and weekends when I could. You just have to be really fast with the stuff you know: triangles, traverses, vertical curves, horizontal curves, leveling, etc.  Learn to recognize the information that is provided that is there to help you and that which is aimed to distract.  You have to be quick enough to recognize the information presented and what, exactly, they are asking for in the problem.  I also had some surveying programs in the HP 35s that I would highly recommend to speed up curve problems and solve trig and triangles fairly quickly.  My other calculator was a TI - graphing calculator which I used to keep track of numbers and convert between degrees and degree, minutes, seconds (DMS) which proved to be extremely time saving since you basically have to do that on just about every problem.  It's really not a fight against the material, since it's not inherently difficult, but it's a race against the clock!  Honestly, if this exam were 30 minutes longer I think a lot more people would pass it on their 1st try.   

Thank you!! Very helpful I can totally see all that is what I need to do. I did decent with EET my first attempt but I can see that I just need to be able to recognize more problems that they ask... this is why I’m taking reza which supposedly everyone raves about his style of teaching which I’ve noticed so far to be great. Hope with this I will be ready next round in January to pass it. 

I took it on Dec. 20 and realized they are pretty different from the practice problems. I mainly studied for the calculations, however, in my real exam, it has tons of conceptual/qualitative problems, which made feel so uncomfortable. I used CPESR and did not find it very helpful. I still hope I did pass it....

Last edited by a moderator:
I used CPESR as well to prepare. I found it semi helpful. I went through the practice exams a few times each until I felt comfortable with time management. But again, the problems were just so different on the actual exam. I hope I did enough to pass. 

I used CPESR as well to prepare. I found it semi helpful. I went through the practice exams a few times each until I felt comfortable with time management. But again, the problems were just so different on the actual exam. I hope I did enough to pass. 
Yeah I was not pleased with the quality of the book provided and the study material from CPESR. Very scattered and not at all well put together. Plus it sounds like it was supposed to be tabbed which it wasn’t. Granted I made my own tabs, but don’t say it has them and then not include them. 
I also agree about the problems being so different. I was expecting traverses/curves/leveling. Instead there was a ton of theory and questions on equipment...

I took it on Dec. 20 and realized they are pretty different from the practice problems. I mainly studied for the calculations, however, in my real exam, it has tons of conceptual/qualitative problems, which made feel so uncomfortable. I used CPESR and did not find it very helpful. I still hope I did pass it....
Agreed. I used CPESR. That class is a joke. 

@Geologist I am sorry to hear that survey is definitely seeming to be more about conceptual questions.When i didnt pass i noticed that too. it seems EET concepts are decent for it and Reza is the best for understanding the problems? everyone has been telling me you need to be good enough to where tabs are not needed like you dont have to look up many things. maybe just tab a few pages of reza

anybody has any ideas about when the December results will be released? I would guess it as Jan.6-8?

Most people will be off this week. They will probably take next week to put the results together and release it on Monday, January 13.

Back