Washington is out!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, my fellow Washingtonians!

Friendly reminder, especially for this state, don't be too quick to add "P.E." after your name just yet. I'm not sure if Washington has changed their process since I took the exam last year, but if it's the same process there is still some time left to go before your application is approved and you get a license number.

The safe bet is to wait until you see your license number in the PE license database before adding those two letters. You can look up your name here: https://professions.dol.wa.gov/s/license-lookup

DANNNGGG way to go! 
Thank you!  I've gotta say -- it's been a hell of a ride to get here.  This year was already shaping up to be the best year of my life -- I *finally* declared defeat on a 2.5-year battle with serious depression (yes, I know the war rages on, but the battle is won for now!), checked off several bucket list items, went to my college best friend's Indian wedding at a luxury resort in Tuscany, and celebrated the day I outlived my dad, who died when I was 1.  Passing this exam was the one thing I was waiting on to seal the deal, and it happened!!!!!  I screamed and sobbed and instantly knew I'd made my dad proud :)

Congrats, my fellow Washingtonians!

Friendly reminder, especially for this state, don't be too quick to add "P.E." after your name just yet. I'm not sure if Washington has changed their process since I took the exam last year, but if it's the same process there is still some time left to go before your application is approved and you get a license number.

The safe bet is to wait until you see your license number in the PE license database before adding those two letters. You can look up your name here: https://professions.dol.wa.gov/s/license-lookup
Hey, thanks for the reminder!!!  I tried looking for the requirements for when I can add it to my name but to no avail, so thanks for the heads up!  Any idea how long it takes to get your license number?  Is it something that happens in days, or should I give it a month or so?

Hey, thanks for the reminder!!!  I tried looking for the requirements for when I can add it to my name but to no avail, so thanks for the heads up!  Any idea how long it takes to get your license number?  Is it something that happens in days, or should I give it a month or so?
The state seems to be pretty good about getting license numbers out. They do say up to 4 weeks, but I got my license# 8 days after I found out I passed. Ymmv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!  I've gotta say -- it's been a hell of a ride to get here.  This year was already shaping up to be the best year of my life -- I *finally* declared defeat on a 2.5-year battle with serious depression (yes, I know the war rages on, but the battle is won for now!), checked off several bucket list items, went to my college best friend's Indian wedding at a luxury resort in Tuscany, and celebrated the day I outlived my dad, who died when I was 1.  Passing this exam was the one thing I was waiting on to seal the deal, and it happened!!!!!  I screamed and sobbed and instantly knew I'd made my dad proud :)
Awww man that's awesome

Also, quick note, you might want to login at the same place the license lookup is. Not sure if it was a data entry on my end or theirs, but somehow only my first name and middle initial was showing up on my account on the new Washington licensing system. Quick email to DOL got them to fix it, but I would have been really annoyed if it delayed my license or I got one with just my first name and middle initial and had to get it corrected. 

Passed Civil Transportation first time. So ready for that license number. I was good and asked our admin to wait until January to order new business cards so I can’t possibly be tempted to open them until I have my number. 

Has anyone recieved thier liscense number yet? I was hoping to see it before Christmas.... but the holiday and new years, I'm just hoping to see it before mid january!

Yea, I've been checking as well. I just started getting worried when my co-worker who passed in april told me he had his liscense number in 8 days. I figured the holidays would delay things, but it is definitely nice to know it's not just me waiting.

Yeah i'm sure they will come through before too long. I didn't think i'd be so antsy waiting for the license # after having gone through all the other madness but I stand corrected haha

When I called to correct my name in the online system they said to give them a month for wall certificates. I was hoping they were exaggerating but I’m no longer expecting it until 2020. 

When I called to correct my name in the online system they said to give them a month for wall certificates. I was hoping they were exaggerating but I’m no longer expecting it until 2020. 
Yes, the wall certificate takes some time. It shouldn’t prevent you from practicing as a P.E. though, assuming your license # appears in the lookup database.

Yes, the wall certificate takes some time. It shouldn’t prevent you from practicing as a P.E. though, assuming your license # appears in the lookup database.
We're still waiting for the license numbers to be assigned :(   I'm not holding my breath for it to happen this week.  I'm waiting to have the raise/promotion conversation with my boss until I get my number, so this is irritating.  Ok, that's enough ranting for Christmas ;)  

Agreed, but they seem to be dragging thier feet in releasing the liscense numbers. I have a couple of projects ready to be submitted that I really wanted to sign/stamp. Oh well... I guess the wait continues.

Agreed, but they seem to be dragging thier feet in releasing the liscense numbers. I have a couple of projects ready to be submitted that I really wanted to sign/stamp. Oh well... I guess the wait continues.
Yeah, while what I asked about was the wall certificate I got the impression that the license numbers wouldn't be much ahead of the wall certificates being mailed. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't appear they have added a single new license since October 29 (no licenses via exam or comity). 

Back