Cut Scores - Page 4 - OCT 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Lcengingeer

Cut Scores

2 hours ago, That_Guy_ZZ said:

image.png.f5e4685c8198c9481c9b563dc63dfd41.png

Thank you so much. So they buried some of the questions under Hydraulics and Energy / Power Equipment? That is pretty interesting. Thank you so much for doing this and I am 100% sure you will pass on the second try. Remember since it will be a CBT exam NCEES is mainly limited with what is in their reference manual. You can use that to your advantage and now you know what to expect from the exam through experience. I also recommend practicing with a marker and plastic note pad when you solve practice problems, because that is what they will you instead of pencil and paper. That almost got me in the FE Exam. You can do this!

5 hours ago, Sloth_1989 said:

image.thumb.png.1b59cbf540da49aaf5b410fcd239fcfd.png

IMO you did alright in the afternoon. Obviously some areas to work on but 22 out of 40 doesn't seem that bad on the first try. I know I was fried halfway into the PM for WRE. Sort of wished the hour break was optional as it messed with my flow lol. 

Think the big thing to work on is the AM topics. That project planning and Site development topics can be broad in their questions they can ask, so it can be tricky finding enough content IMO. 

Relax this month, enjoy the Holidays and get back at it in January. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:04 PM, jean15paul_PE said:

Sorry about that @Sloth_1989. You'll get it next time. I hope you don't mind me using your score to help explain....

This is what I was trying to describe above. 46/80 = 57.5%  But Texas has defined that as 69%. I'm pretty sure that's based on 70% being the cut score whether the cut score equals 70% or not.

If what you're saying is right, I did 48/80 and I didn't pass ... Looks like i was so close to pass it!!!  

18 minutes ago, TSLT2010 said:

If what you're saying is right, I did 48/80 and I didn't pass ... Looks like i was so close to pass it!!!  

Keep it mind, it's different for every exam. @Sloth_1989 was WRE if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

So is it safe to say that cut score for Construction is "usually" 54-56? So far the highest score for failed candidates I have seen here is 48 (For Construction).

14 minutes ago, 0036SK said:

So is it safe to say that cut score for Construction is "usually" 54-56? So far the highest score for failed candidates I have seen here is 48 (For Construction).

It's probably more like 52-56.

The problem we run into on here is small sample size. There should be about 693, people who failed the Civil: Construction exam, this cycle, and we've heard from like 10 or 12 of them, maybe? If we had a more significant portion of the population, we could make a more confident estimate of the cut score from this administration.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said:

I am sorry you failed but, to what end do you want this information?

This thread isn't exactly to find the cut offs, as each discipline is different.  If you read through comments, you can see people feel a little bit more hopeful to see that others were in the same boat as them, whether it be seeing a similar score, or repeat takers.

Edited by Lcengingeer

18 hours ago, john813 said:

IMO you did alright in the afternoon. Obviously some areas to work on but 22 out of 40 doesn't seem that bad on the first try. I know I was fried halfway into the PM for WRE. Sort of wished the hour break was optional as it messed with my flow lol. 

Think the big thing to work on is the AM topics. That project planning and Site development topics can be broad in their questions they can ask, so it can be tricky finding enough content IMO. 

Relax this month, enjoy the Holidays and get back at it in January. 

Thank you for the analysis. Yes you are right, I was ok during the afternoon sessions.I was surprised that I did not do well in geometrics problems.  But I did struggle in morning topics like Project Planning and Site Development topics.

In the afternoon, I struggled/wasted time on Groundwater and Wells and Closed conduit problems. I was pretty burned out in the last 1-2 hours and could not focus completely. 

I will focus on my weak areas more for the April 2020 exam. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TSLT2010 said:

Cutoff is different for each field. Cutoff for Construction might be different from WRE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth_1989 said:

Cutoff is different for each field. Cutoff for Construction might be different from WRE

yeah!! I knew that but I didn't check the discipline of people talking here lol  😂

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Will.I.Am PE said:

It's probably more like 52-56.

The problem we run into on here is small sample size. There should be about 693, people who failed the Civil: Construction exam, this cycle, and we've heard from like 10 or 12 of them, maybe? If we had a more significant portion of the population, we could make a more confident estimate of the cut score from this administration.

I wish we can have more information to get a better cut score... but yes, you are right, I got 48 (22AM/26PM) and looks like 54-56 is probably a good approximated... I confident that I almost pass.  😪

I've seen at least one (but I think 2) prep courses say to shoot for a 56 as a "safe" cut score number. They don't know either, but that's probably is usually a safe score to target.

So the cut score for WRE is lower (say 49) than that of Construction (say 54) and WRE had a larger over all passing percentage (62% vs 49%), does that sound right?

On 12/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, cnickels13 said:

45/40?

So a 65/80 combined.

Edited by Fisherman504

45 minutes ago, Sophie_C said:

So the cut score for WRE is lower (say 49) than that of Construction (say 54) and WRE had a larger over all passing percentage (62% vs 49%), does that sound right?

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying...

But I do want to say that the cut score and the percentage of test takers who pass are completely independent. The cut score is determined before the test is given, based on the difficulty of each question. It's theoretically possible for every test taker to pass (or for every test taker to fail) if they all exceed (or fall below) the predetermined cut score.

22 hours ago, Sloth_1989 said:

Thank you for the analysis. Yes you are right, I was ok during the afternoon sessions.I was surprised that I did not do well in geometrics problems.  But I did struggle in morning topics like Project Planning and Site Development topics.

In the afternoon, I struggled/wasted time on Groundwater and Wells and Closed conduit problems. I was pretty burned out in the last 1-2 hours and could not focus completely. 

I will focus on my weak areas more for the April 2020 exam. 

It's a grueling exam, no doubt. I was talking to a guy prior to taking the April test and it was his third try for the WRE. Said that what he struggled on the first test he did better on but did worse in a few areas the 2nd go around. Said the content wasn't radically different but enough to question what are your true strengths and weaknesses on a test per test basis. 

Otherwords, definitely study the parts you did "poor" on but make sure you keep up your studying to keep your strengths, strengths. 

Last thing you want to happen is get thrown off on some open channel questions, cause they went heavily theoretical or threw a small twist in the wording there and you didn't brush up enough on that section cause you did well there this time. 

• Like 2

I believe Georgia has a military veterans preference points that if you meet a certain criteria, you may have  have a lower cut score.  Check their website for details.

Any Veterans may look into taking the test in Georgia if they meet the criteria. 

41 minutes ago, UKEE said:

I really do not understand the benefit of discussing “cut scores”. From what I have read on this site it is impossible to determine what the score is and it varies across disciplines. Nobody truly knows but NCEES. Having said that I think you have to attack this exam with the mindset that you are going to get every problem correct! Forget trying to eek out a pass. This is coming from someone who failed once before passing, so I understand your pain and frustration. You got to shake it off and get back to work!

For those who took the exam this administration, it probably does little good, aside from helping some people realize they were probably closer to passing than they thought. Now, that can be a double-edged sword, but it could be encouraging to realize that you were actually pretty close, to passing when you thought you bombed. That being said, I passed on the first try, so I'm not the one to ask.

For me, personally, I appreciate the long-term data. Though we rarely (if ever) get a reliable estimate for any one cut score, the more data we have, the better we can estimate the general range where a cut score might land. Looking at previous years' data gave me a decent (though rough) estimate of where I needed to land to pass, and I walked out of the exam fairly confident that I had eclipsed that by at least 5-10 problems.

... And I'm just a nerd who likes data. :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKEE said:

I really do not understand the benefit of discussing “cut scores”. From what I have read on this site it is impossible to determine what the score is and it varies across disciplines. Nobody truly knows but NCEES. Having said that I think you have to attack this exam with the mindset that you are going to get every problem correct! Forget trying to eek out a pass. This is coming from someone who failed once before passing, so I understand your pain and frustration. You got to shake it off and get back to work!

It really is a point to see how close or far an individual is. We can all agree here that anything above a 57/80 seems to be passing. I've never seen a 57/80 failed.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 6:26 PM, UKEE said:

I believe this can vary by person, but that being said...

I completely disagree.

In my opinion, you absolutely should not have the expectation that you will get every question correct. It is very important in your test taking strategy to be able to let go of difficult questions, or you will get stuck. Here was my philosophy/strategy going into the exam, and I feel it served me well:

1. Anything statics, mechanics of materials, or stress analysis related is my strength. I want to get 100% of those correct.
  2. I'm ok at dynamics and machine design. I should definitely get 100% the easy ones, and should be able to figure out the hard ones. But if something is taking more than 4 or 5 minutes, I'll come back to it later. I want to get all the stuff that is easy for me first.
  3. Material science, scheduling/plant engineering, and statistics/statistical process control are my weaknesses. I'll try to quickly figure out the easy ones if possible, but anything difficult will get put off until the end. Difficult questions in these area are going to be low yield for me, so I will not feel bad about guessing. 

This is how you create a test taking strategy. You need to go in with a plan. You do not need 100% to pass. Now I agree that your goal should be very conservative; I was shooting for 60 - 64 points. (I'm confident that I exceeded this goal.) But if I felt like I HAD TO get that difficult statistical process control question correct, I would have stressed myself out and I probably would have gotten stuck and not finished the exam.

The best analogy I can think of is marathon runners. They don't go all out for the whole race. They pace themselves. They know their strength and weakness. They plan for when they get fatigued and know what their splits should be at each point in the race. They decide in advance how to adjust for for head wind, and they adjust on the fly for running with a group.

"I'm going get every problem correct," is not a plan.
And to be clear, please don't take this as a personal attack. I don't mean it like that. I have no idea what your plan is/was. But I say all this for the benefit of everyone. So everyone can learn how to create an effective test day strategy and to prepare with that in mind.

“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail!”
― Benjamin Franklin

Edited by jean15paul_PE
  • Like 2

2nd Attempt failed: STRUCTURES

AM: 28/40

PM: 20/40

I saw my grade and I was very close to passing this one 😓

I borrowed EET notes from a friend for AM and PM, I also had some test master notes. I am planning to skip the april exam and take a break and retake the exam in October. This time take the On Demand classes of EET AM and PM. 

If anyone has better tips for me please don't hesitate. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, wedyan said:

sorry for that, but just to let you know don't rely on testmasters for the geo. Depth it's not close to be enough, I just failed my second attempt on geo as well....good luck

Definitely deficient for afternoon geotech 

almost all of my coworkers recommended testmasters and my office paid for the class so I took it. Looking back, The people that passed using testmasters were either transportation or construction depths

I wrote them to let them know that the Geotechnical portion of their class did not help me at all on the afternoon portion. 

I found out I have free access to PPI2Pass so I’m using that course to work problems. I’m just going to work as many problems as possible until I retake in April. I’m also considering making my own formula sheets

We are both going to get it next time!

Edited by Aviatrix85