Cut Scores - Page 3 - OCT 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Lcengingeer

Cut Scores

Hello everyone. I failed WRE. 46/80. But my percentage is 69 according to TBPE. Does it mean that cutoff is less than 50 points?? Did I fail by 1 percentage point ?

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
1 hour ago, wedyan said:

but even if you pass you can get just the score% but not diagnostic report

yeah, but the percentage Texas tells you is not a true percent-correct based on your raw score. Texas sprinkles some magic Texas dust in there and grades on a curve.

Well not exactly. I think they define 70% as passing, and normalize the NCEES determined cut score (which changes for each test and for each date administered) to equal 70% ... even if it's not 70%... using mystery math.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cnickels13 said:

45/40?

My bad, typo 😅

I meant "25/40"

Edited by MecEng

1 hour ago, jean15paul_PE said:

yeah, but the percentage Texas tells you is not a true percent-correct based on your raw score. Texas sprinkles some magic Texas dust in there and grades on a curve.

Well not exactly. I think they define 70% as passing, and normalize the NCEES determined cut score (which changes for each test and for each date administered) to equal 70% ... even if it's not 70%... using mystery math.

1 hour ago, Sloth_1989 said:

image.png.8972c4b1c089ee7c317346cbf83e0890.png

1 hour ago, Sloth_1989 said:

Texas WRE First attempt. 46/80. 

Sorry about that @Sloth_1989. You'll get it next time. I hope you don't mind me using your score to help explain....

This is what I was trying to describe above. 46/80 = 57.5%  But Texas has defined that as 69%. I'm pretty sure that's based on 70% being the cut score whether the cut score equals 70% or not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sloth_1989 said:

Hello everyone. I failed WRE. 46/80. But my percentage is 69 according to TBPE. Does it mean that cutoff is less than 50 points?? Did I fail by 1 percentage point ?

This means that you were relatively close to passing, though not necessarily by one percentage point. Texas sets the NCEES cut score equal to "70%", regardless of what the actual percentage is. However, there's no apparent rhyme or reason to where the percentages go outside of "70%". The cut score is still probably in the low 50s, but you were likely closer to passing than many other examinees.

This guy 👇 knows what's up.

44 minutes ago, jean15paul_PE said:

Sorry about that @Sloth_1989. You'll get it next time. I hope you don't mind me using your score to help explain....

This is what I was trying to describe above. 46/80 = 57.5%  But Texas has defined that as 69%. I'm pretty sure that's based on 70% being the cut score whether the cut score equals 70% or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sophie_C said:

The cut score is the same for every State? 

The cut score may different between exam types (I.e. electrical power might have a different cut score than water resources/environmental), but between states there is no variation.

• Like 3

38/80

Civil - Geotech (first time taker)

Used testmasters on-demand course 

Edited by Aviatrix85
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ChebyshevII PE said:

The cut score may different between exam types (I.e. electrical power might have a different cut score than water resources/environmental), but between states there is no variation.

yes thats what i meant.. thanks!

The power exam had a duplicated question. With the fail scores being out of 80, does that mean that they both counted? Not complaining as I passed anyway, plus it was one of the easiest questions on the test, just curious. 

1 hour ago, THRILLHO said:

The power exam had a duplicated question. With the fail scores being out of 80, does that mean that they both counted? Not complaining as I passed anyway, plus it was one of the easiest questions on the test, just curious. 

Strictly speaking, NCEES doesn't throw out questions. According to my understanding, for questions that have issues like this, they assign more than one correct answer. If they discover that two of the answer choices are correct, like for a conceptual question, they'll make either of those choices correct, and you'd get credit for either answer. In this case, I'd imagine that, for the second duplicate question, they assigned any of the four answer choices as being correct. So, as long as you filled in one of the four bubbles, you would have gotten credit for that question.

However, my understanding may be off. @RBHeadge PE can correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Will.I.Am PE said:
3 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Strictly speaking, NCEES doesn't throw out questions. According to my understanding, for questions that have issues like this, they assign more than one correct answer. If they discover that two of the answer choices are correct, like for a conceptual question, they'll make either of those choices correct, and you'd get credit for either answer. In this case, I'd imagine that, for the second duplicate question, they assigned any of the four answer choices as being correct. So, as long as you filled in one of the four bubbles, you would have gotten credit for that question.

However, my understanding may be off. @RBHeadge PE can correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much. We'll probably never know how they resolved it. They either did it as described above, or only gave credit for the actual correct answer for each question.

• Thanks 1

I passed but from a friend who didn't. Civil Transportation 46/80. Not sure on morning/afternoon splits.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, That_Guy_ZZ said:

1st Attempt 

Mechanical Thermal Fluids Systems

35/80 how do I find AM and PM scores. 

Thanks 

If it is not a big deal, could you please post your Diagnostic Report? I thought the exam was unfair regarding the number of questions outside of Thermo Fluids. I am really curious to see how they broke it down on the report. 

Thank you so much. 

Edited by cjcarter

On 12/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Sloth_1989 said:

Texas WRE. Failed First time.

46/80. 

Dont worry about it I had the same my first time

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, Sloth_1989 said:

image.png.8972c4b1c089ee7c317346cbf83e0890.png

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, Sloth_1989 said:

Texas WRE First attempt. 46/80. 

I'm so sorry you didn't pass. You were so close.

I sent my diagnostic report to the EET professor and now I understand why he said I was close. I was like 42/80 is not close... but it's that magic multiplier/ weighted point system that gives you the push for the passing score. I got 0 points for one AM category, but 100 for a different one.

• Like 1

I didn't think this thread would be helpful, but it helps to see that all is not lost. I can create a redemption plan from this information

• Like 4

1 hour ago, civilrobot said:

I'm so sorry you didn't pass. You were so close.

I sent my diagnostic report to the EET professor and now I understand why he said I was close. I was like 42/80 is not close... but it's that magic multiplier/ weighted point system that gives you the push for the passing score. I got 0 points for one AM category, but 100 for a different one.

We got this in April 2020!!! 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, Aviatrix85 said:

38/80

Civil - Geotech (first time taker)

Used testmasters on-demand course 

sorry for that, but just to let you know don't rely on testmasters for the geo. Depth it's not close to be enough, I just failed my second attempt on geo as well....good luck

46/80 - 25AM, 21PM Failed

Transportation

image.png.718af4a50fa78c853ae86550c19b7426.png

I felt like I did better on the Afternoon session. So there's that.... 😂

Edited by TwistedLeague

14 hours ago, cjcarter said:

If it is not a big deal, could you please post your Diagnostic Report? I thought the exam was unfair regarding the number of questions outside of Thermo Fluids. I am really curious to see how they broke it down on the report. 

Thank you so much. 

image.png.f5e4685c8198c9481c9b563dc63dfd41.png