Cut Scores - OCT 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Lcengingeer

Cut Scores

If you failed, please post your score from diagnostics. Texas, include percentages. Also include the test you took!

Failed for the second time....

44/80 - 24AM, 20PM

Transportation

Edited by Lcengingeer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Failed first attempt

Civil: Construction - 42/80

Breakdown:

AM: 21/40

PM: 21/40

Edited by civilrobot
  • Sad 5

16 minutes ago, civilrobot said:

Failed first attempt

Civil: Construction - 42/80

Breakdown:

AM: 21/40

PM: 21/40

You got this on round 2 @civilrobot. My first attempt was...31/80. Felt like an idiot, but you are so close!

• Like 1

so is the goal to find the highest failing score for each exam? because that would be the cut score?
I'm guessing someone will come along and build a table? @RBHeadge PE

Edited by jean15paul_PE
  • Like 1

I hope you're not looking at me to help with the analysis!

Every exam (AM/PM combo) in every discipline in every administration has a different cut score. If you get a big enough sample size of reported failing scores for a given exam, you can figure out the cut score by finding the threshold where you stop seeing failing scores.

The trouble is that the sample size is often small, and the highest reported failing score may only have n=1, and that number could be something low like (pulling this outta nowhere) 46. Obviously the cut score isn't 47. But people delude themselves into thinking it is.

Now if you see a bunch of (again outta nowhere) 53s in (randomly selected) MDM, then yeah, a 54 seems legit.

• Like 1

No, you do SO MUCH already. I'm not asking for you to add any more to your plate.

But I figured you know what usually happens around here. I may not seem like it, but I'm still pretty new around here :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jean15paul_PE said:

No, you do SO MUCH already. I'm not asking for you to add any more to your plate.

But I figured you know what usually happens around here. I may not seem like it, but I'm still pretty new around here :D

Jean, I've never seen anyone compile a table or chart of cut scores on the Boards. Justin of EngProGuides collects scores but thats typically only from people who have purchased stuff from him so its even smaller sample size

Also, if theres anyone who wants to provide their score to help determine cut scores but doesnt want to share publicly, feel free to PM and i can share anonymously for you (plus offer up my condolences, I've failed 6 times and I'm waiting for results now)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1