SE Exam Buildings vs. Bridges - Structural - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
davab

SE Exam Buildings vs. Bridges

I am in the myNCEES and looking to register for the SE exam this coming May.

I noticed that there are SE Lateral Bridges, SE Lateral Buildings, SE Vertical Bridges, and SE Vertical Buildings.

I have only done building designs so it is a no brainer which tests to choose. But I was curious about the differences between two tests and were these options always available for SE exams in the past?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

morning is always the same for both buildings and bridges (tough on both, but mostly for bridge peeps)

afternoon is completely different questions. they've been separate as far as i've known but who knows further back

• Like 1

The 16 hour SE exam format has always been the same. 

Mornings everyone does the same exam.  40 multiple choice questions - About 10-12 of those questions will cover bridges.  So if you are a "building" engineer you will need to have at least some knowledge of bridge structural engineering.  Check out my book, Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam,  for help with this. :)

The afternoon is essay questions. For us building engineers there are 4 essay questions.  The bridge engineers only have to do 3.

• Like 2

You should choose SE building exams unless you are a bridge engineer. In some other post, one friend said some state only accepts SE building exam passer to apply SE license.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, Stewie said:

You should choose SE building exams unless you are a bridge engineer. In some other post, one friend said some state only accepts SE building exam passer to apply SE license.

Hi, could you let me know which post says this? if that's the case, dose that mean we all should take Bridges? Thanks.

11 hours ago, AndieWoooooooo said:

Hi, could you let me know which post says this? if that's the case, dose that mean we all should take Bridges? Thanks.

I think you would want to take buildings if there is a state out there that only accepts the SE building exam. 

12 hours ago, David Connor, SE said:

I think you would want to take buildings if there is a state out there that only accepts the SE building exam. 

do you know which state it is? Currently I am mainly doing bridge design, so I am not sure if I should take buildings or not? Thanks. 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, AndieWoooooooo said:

Hi, Dear Andie, I forgot which state but I saw someone posted that in this forum.

Oregon only accepts the SE Buildings exam - There may be more out there...

On 1/11/2020 at 8:20 AM, JP87 said:

Thanks. This is very helpful. If you happen to know more states like Oregon, please let me know. Thanks.

On 1/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, JP87 said:

What if ppl already passed SE (bridge), so they can never be licensed as SE in Oregon? Yea, I should just ask Oregon board~