Advice needed for the Seismic Exam in 2020

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water person

Reaction score
Hello! I took the seismic exam in October; unfortunately, I didn't pass. I was wondering how I should approach the exam in 2020. I took Hiner's course for my October 2019 exam and felt pretty confident going into the exam, but didn't feel confident when I came out of the exam. 

My question is, should I buy Hiner's new exam book or EET's? I want to attempt the seismic exam at the end of January and Hiner's new book won't be coming out until early January. 

Is Mansour's Seismic book any good? What about PPI? 

Thank you in advance.

I did the Hiner book but also used EET practice exams. Was really impressed with the quality of it so if it fail i will probably do the EET package. I wouldn’t imagine the new Hiner being that much different from the previous version in terms of material besides code. 

Hello! I took the seismic exam in October; unfortunately, I didn't pass. I was wondering how I should approach the exam in 2020. I took Hiner's course for my October 2019 exam and felt pretty confident going into the exam, but didn't feel confident when I came out of the exam. 

My question is, should I buy Hiner's new exam book or EET's? I want to attempt the seismic exam at the end of January and Hiner's new book won't be coming out until early January. 

Is Mansour's Seismic book any good? What about PPI? 

Thank you in advance.

a big no to the PPI.  i was annoyed enough with the typos and lack of responsiveness to my emails that i went out and got Hiner's course even after paying for PPI.  Note that the codes are changing for 2020 (New CBC).  I took the October 2019 seismic test and it was tough.  

Back