Failed FE Mechanical Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgon18

Reaction score
I recently took the FE Mechanical Exam on November 16th (based on the title of this thread, it didn't go as well as planned). I will say it wasn't really what I expected. I have been studying off and on for a few months (had to reschedule my first exam due to traveling and eventually relocating to a new state for work). I was surprised seeing how poorly I performed on the first part of the exam. I scored fairly average on the 2nd half, which I was also surprised about since I did a lot more guessing throughout these sections. My company reimburses for all classes/study materials I purchase, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $500-1000 on prep courses, unless anyone thinks it's truly worth it. The study materials I possess at the moment are the Lindeburg FE Mechanical Exam practice problems and the NCEES Mechanical Practice Exam. I see people suggesting "Complete more practice exams" but after researching I saw the two I currently have were the most recommended resources. What should be my approach going forward? Also. hypothetically, would I have been in good shape to pass if I would have performed more average on the morning session? Also, I saw people saying to register for the General FE exam. Any thoughts on that? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

FE Diagnostic.PNG

If your company will reimburse you for all study materials / classes, I would definitely recommend signing up for a study course! Why not?! It looks like you have some work to do to get up to passing and a course will help you get more disciplined about studying consistently. 

i thought the FE was changed to be geared more toward your own discipline?

as far as the course issue is concerned, whether taking a course is worthwhile is entirely up to you. are you better at self study vs having a professor?

the answer to that question essentially answers yours.

Back