SE Exam Oct 2019 Result

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheik

Structural Engineer
Reaction score
 Hi,

Do you have any idea when we will get to know the results?

The registration for April 2020 begins on dec 9th so may be we will get it on Dec 6th (Friday).

Results will likely drop sometime in the second half of December, very unlikely before the 9th, but well before the registration deadline.

(Also FYI this thread may get nuked, the last one did with no reason given)

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone probably leaked problem info whether intentionally or not.  I can see that being an issue.

Honestly we need a union to negotiate on our behalf....we also need representation during official workshops and meetings...

What should we call it?

Ugh, I'm going to feel like a real ASSFACE if I don't pass Lateral this time around.  Been 3 years since my last try....win or lose, I'm done!  Which is a nice feeling lol.

we need ASSFACE for sure....Our demands should be something like this:

1- We need a voice to represent us: doesnt have to be an examinee but someone we trust....say for example @David Connor, SE

2- We need to know what is happening  during the exam writing workshops

3- We need to see psychiatric assessment of the subject matter experts writing the questions

4- We demand reforms to the way the exam is corrected: if someone scores AAAA in the afternoon that should be an immediate pass

I'd like to see the afternoon be four two hour problems given, yet the the engineer selects 2 only.  If the afternoon is meant to check engineering judgement / process and so forth then they're much likely to see that if a person was working with a material they liked.  And bc of it being two hours there's no reason why NCEES still can't work other material related items into a question,  but in general a question should clearly skew one direction.  So everyone gets to pick their best two materials but write them in such a way that any two questions hits all four major materials.

I'd like to see the afternoon be four two hour problems given, yet the the engineer selects 2 only.  If the afternoon is meant to check engineering judgement / process and so forth then they're much likely to see that if a person was working with a material they liked.  And bc of it being two hours there's no reason why NCEES still can't work other material related items into a question,  but in general a question should clearly skew one direction.  So everyone gets to pick their best two materials but write them in such a way that any two questions hits all four major materials.
That would certainly make things interesting. As someone told me, the exam used to be a "pick the problems you want to solve" format for the afternoon.

What's even more fascinating is that the exam itself requires a level of alacrity in problem solving that is unrealistic. 

1- We need a voice to represent us: doesnt have to be an examinee but someone we trust....say for example @David Connor, SE

2- We need to know what is happening  during the exam writing workshops

3- We need to see psychiatric assessment of the subject matter experts writing the questions

4- We demand reforms to the way the exam is corrected: if someone scores AAAA in the afternoon that should be an immediate pass
I think what you really need is a disinformation campaign here on the forums coupled with a well placed mole in NCEES to advocate for change. Either that or become a lawyer since the pay is better and the bar is easier to pass.

Hi,

Do you have any idea when we will get to know the results?

The registration for April 2020 begins on dec 9th so may be we will get it on Dec 6th (Friday).
Last year the scoring session was a week after Thanksgiving 11/29-12/1. Assuming it's the same this year then the grading will be 12/5-12/7. Results are typically released 7-10 days after the grading session so my money is on mid-December around 12/16.

Ugh, I'm going to feel like a real ASSFACE if I don't pass Lateral this time around.  Been 3 years since my last try....win or lose, I'm done!  Which is a nice feeling lol.
Did you pass Vertical? If so, you still have a good year and a half left to try assuming you didn't nail it this time!

Nobody did. They make those comments every administration due to some idiot listing a problem in its entirety on here a few years ago. NCEES doesn’t like you talking period, though. They want you in a vacuum of ignorance on problem types and methodology despite your entire education being geared toward exams. My best recommendation to all of you is to apply for appointment for your respective boards and fix this ****. The exam should be hard and you shouldn’t know exactly what is on it, but sharing content and even seeing your exam after grading shouldn’t be an issue. Think about this,  as structural engineers, how often do you do something groundbreaking? Practically never. When you do, it ends up going through tons of red tape and a patent process. I honestly think that exposing the types of problems and the potential pitfalls and solutions would make better engineers all the way around. I’ve never agreed with the level of secrecy presented, but like I said, change it from the inside.

ChaosMuppetPe - I like your points.  From folks I've spoken with, 'that are on the inside', there is a mentality with some that the SE should be harder, its almost like the whole "I had to pay my dues thing" and people wanting to protect their status.  Because I'm fairly certain the NCEES solicits information from new and existing SE's on question ideas.  So the irony here is that no matter how much we all grumble about the process and ambiguity and so on, its quite possibly us doing this to ourselves.  Think about this, if you go thorough this process, as is, pass the tests, and get your SE, how would you feel about making it easier for people behind you? Be honest with yourself, you don't have to report on here, but would you really want it to be easier for other people?  That's a tough question if people are actually being honest with themselves.  Do you want it to be easier for people that would be competing for the same jobs, and essentially diluting the pool of existing SE's by increasing the supply, while not changing the demand ... we all know what that would mean, value goes down. 

I believe a compelling argument can be made to the converse, that demand is in fact going up, and supply is remaining static / decreasing, because more states are requiring an SE, and based on the number of folks sitting for the test, divided by the number of states requiring it, you could argue that the average # of new SE's per state is going down.  So there is a really good argument not for necessarily making the test 'easier' per se, but enough with the games.  I met someone this weekend that described to me a very good point, and that was a scenario where there would eventually be a short fall of SE's if enough states require it, and not enough people can pass the test.  That's a scary scenario, and it doesn't have an easy solution. Because I don't think the test should be easier --  I like that the test is challenging, I like that it takes hard work, and that's why the accomplishment will (eventually) mean so much -- but if high quality engineers and judgment is the goal, then NCEES would be more transparent with their results and outputs.  I'm sure we can take 10 people that fail this test, and find 10 different reasons why, and individually each of those people may be very expert at several things and possibly just coming up a bit short in one or two areas -- and it would certainly be nice to get detailed output to that effect so people would know what they need to work on.

IMO how we feel about it should be irrelevant. This is a competency exam and really the only metric that should be considered is how accurately does it test for competency. In its current state I don't think a single incompetent engineer passes, but I do think may competent engineers walk out of there down $1000-$500 (not including the thousands many spend on courses, study books and codes), and with their career delayed by another 6 months.

Would be SE's and their families invest hugely in trying to become licencsed, but all you get after the exam is either a "Pass" or sheet that may basically tell you "You sucked at X subject this time around", see ya in 6 months. This does not seem like an organization who's motto is "advancing licensure for engineers and surveyors" But this is the reality we are stuck with.. so lets suck it up and get through it.

My one rant this time around.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back