October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck - Page 10 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
RBHeadge PE

October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

I've gotten a few private messages in the last few days. The themes are the same so I'll post the same general advice publicly.

That feeling that many of you are starting to feel right now is called doubt. Welcome to phase four. It's normal. Roughly 15,000 people took the PE exam a few weeks ago. Probably 6,000 of them are feeling doubt right now. Another 6,000 will be feeling it by the end of the month. Relax.

Your employer did not secretly get your test results back; so that's not the reason why they did or did not do <fill in the blank>. Similarly, your state board, and engineering education companies (PE exam prep, and continuous education offerers) don't know anything either. No one has the results back yet. While NCEES has probably scored your scoresheet, they likely haven't given it an official pass/fail grade yet.

• Thanks 1

I think I have (more or less) skipped Phase 2 and am on the cusp of Phase 3, though I'm not feeling it too hard.

Situation Normal?

20 hours ago, Chattaneer said:

Summary of what I've learned:

• All questions are weighted the same when calculating your exam score.
  • Each question is weighted differently when calculating the passing score.
  • Professional Activities and Knowledge Study (PAKS) is used to develop the exam specification, and according to NCEES: “The results of this online survey will be sued to update specifications for the exam, which is used throughout the United States for licensing purposes.”
  • There is a question bank where questions are pulled to produce exam sessions.
  • The passing score weight of each question is is determined during an in-person committee meeting?

All questions don't seem to be the same in difficulty. There are some that takes 30 seconds and other that take 3 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Fisherman504 said:

All questions don't seem to be the same in difficulty. There are some that takes 30 seconds and other that take 3 minutes. 

That's absolutely correct. I don't think anyone implied that all questions are the same difficulty. We talked about how the difficulty of each question is taken into account when calculating the cut score (i.e. the passing score).

But each question is worth the same number of points when grading your exam. It's not like there are some 1 point questions and some 3 point questions. It doesn't matter if you get easy questions or hard questions right. You have to get a certain number correct to pass.

Doubt definitely setting in. Doing my best to not even think about the letters P or E.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aspiringWRE_PE said:

can't tell if trolling or serious... it's too soon!

@RBHeadge PE would never troll you. This are serious business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does anyone have the Excel spread sheet that I have seen posted here, showing the historic data of results released vs days after sitting for the PE in each state?  I've searched and can't seem to find it.

Thanks

2 hours ago, aspiringWRE_PE said:

can't tell if trolling or serious... it's too soon!

Imma sit here all calm 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LyceeFruit said:

Imma sit here all calm 

source.gif

• Haha 5
  • fudgey 1

Thanks friendos!! 😍

• Like 2

I’m in some sort of blissful denial about the expectation for results  for the time being.  It’s not real to me because we don’t have a thread under PE Exam Results. 

My best guess is that Illinois will have results about 3 weeks from today at the earliest, based on previous years. In other news, I just re-calculated my gut-feeling expected score for about the 6th time. 

53 minutes ago, MadamPirate said:

I'm a solid phase 4.

I with you @MadamPirate. I tell myself I'm either dumb or ignorant or both.

1 minute ago, squaretaper PE said:

*anxiety intensifies*

Phase 3 is breaking upon me, like a wave upon the sand. :oldman:

9 minutes ago, Will.I.Am said:

Phase 3 is breaking upon me, like a wave upon the sand. :oldman:

Just curious, do you actually need it for your job? As in, to stamp? Or, just for advancement?

8 minutes ago, squaretaper PE said:

Just curious, do you actually need it for your job? As in, to stamp? Or, just for advancement?

I won't need to stamp anything for probably another 8 or 10 years, but pretty much everyone at my company is expected to get the PE.  It comes with extra money (for you and for the company) and advancement. There's also an expectation that you'll stamp things, eventually, but not until you're one of the senior personnel in your group, which won't be for several years, in my case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Y'all should join me on the calm cloud lol

• Like 4