I don't understand networking

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

random_soldier1337

Reaction score
I've talked to a few people and I think I get the basic gist that you talk to a bunch of people in your field, some outside, make friends and then you have a 'network' of people with certain skills you can fall back on when you need it and your own ability in that area is insufficient and vice versa when they need you.

However, practically, for some reason, I just can't fathom it. Or maybe I don't want to. I don't know. Maybe it's my background/upbringing. I haven't thought about it too much. All I know is that it's important and the few people I have asked about it, I couldn't fully understand the concept. Like who do I do it with? Why is it really that important? How do I do it? And is it really worth it if I find the person disagreeable in some way?

You’re putting too much thought into it. Your network develops with your career as you meet people. You can reach out and connect on LinkedIn, in other parts of your company or through local organizations. A lot of people you’ll meet once and never see again. Try to leave a good impression and LinkedIn is great to keep up with those.

You never know when your network might come in handy for getting work for your company or especially finding a new job. Even if you don’t like someone, try to make that good impression and let them be able to say good things about you to other professionals/clients.

You’re putting too much thought into it. Your network develops with your career as you meet people. You can reach out and connect on LinkedIn, in other parts of your company or through local organizations. A lot of people you’ll meet once and never see again. Try to leave a good impression and LinkedIn is great to keep up with those.

You never know when your network might come in handy for getting work for your company or especially finding a new job. Even if you don’t like someone, try to make that good impression and let them be able to say good things about you to other professionals/clients.
That's part of the dilemma. As I meet people. Therefore, the more I meet, the bigger my network. That entails socializing when I may not wish to or perhaps I may not be outgoing. Also the other part about seeing someone once and never again. How can any sort of connection form through that?

That's part of the dilemma. As I meet people. Therefore, the more I meet, the bigger my network. That entails socializing when I may not wish to or perhaps I may not be outgoing. Also the other part about seeing someone once and never again. How can any sort of connection form through that?
It’s helpful to socialize when you don’t want to. Obviously you don’t have to but it doesn’t hurt to put yourself out there by saying hi and making a bit of small talk. You’re not going to win them all as some people won’t like you no matter what you do.

Seeing someone once and adding them on LinkedIn can make you look that much better to a potential employer so there’s value in it at least that way. If you’re not good at being outgoing, try to socialize a bit more within your company/office. Having good working relationships around you help you to be a better engineer and subsequently interact at outside meetings or when clients show up.

The importance and power of networking also changes with your career.  For example, as a young engineer it can build contacts at other companies. One of the people you meet, just may work at the company that you have been researching and wanting to apply for a job at because you are unhappy or there is no growth potential at your current job. 

As you become a project manager or higher rank, networking can help you bring in business and get your company more work. It would look good for you if people came directly to you about potential projects as opposed to a random email to the generic contact us email the office has. I work for a amall firm and we do all our work based on word of mouth referrals.  Have a few architects and builders that reccomend us. Worked with a surveyor on a few jobs, they liked our work and now they refer customers to us all the time also.  

Networking also builds your toolbox. You may have a project that involves some work out of your area of expertise.  Instead of rejecting the project, you can handle all the stuff you kniw, and then use a networking contact to have them work on the part you are able to accomplish. In the future they may reach out to you for similar situation. 

I agree with what's been said by @youngmotivatedengineer and @Ranger1316 . Adding a few additional thoughts.

• Networking is not necessary. I have known some great engineers who SUCK at networking. But it can help your career in a pretty major way.

• Networking in a forced or artificial way is usually not as helpful a people think. If you're being fake it's usually obvious.

• People usually think of networking as important because it can help them, so they go into networking situations with a "what can you do for me" perspective. The single best way to build a network is to flip that perspective. Think "what could I do to help this person". That is really what gets you remembered positively and what make people willing to help you when the opportunity arises. It doesn't have to be anything huge, like getting someone a job. But do things like pass along valuable information (especially following up verbal info with an email). Introducing them to someone you know who would be valuable to them. Just take an interest in what they are doing (instead of trying to tell everyone what you're doing). When interacting with people, listening and talking about them is much more impactful than talking about yourself. I know it's old school, but "How to win friends and influence people" is a really good book. I'm sure than many other, which may be more up to date.
For the record. I consider what we're doing right now (chatting and helping each other on this board) to be really good networking. Just of less value because we're generally not using real names, etc.
Networking is just getting to know people. Natural is better than forced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can attest to the fact that you dont have to be great at networking (ie talking to people) to have a successful career.  I suck at it and have somehow managed to do all right.  I hate small talk and dread having to come up with something to talk to a stranger about.  My wife is the polar opposite.  It takes all kinds...

I've talked to a few people and I think I get the basic gist that you talk to a bunch of people in your field, some outside, make friends and then you have a 'network' of people with certain skills you can fall back on when you need it and your own ability in that area is insufficient and vice versa when they need you.

However, practically, for some reason, I just can't fathom it. Or maybe I don't want to. I don't know. Maybe it's my background/upbringing. I haven't thought about it too much. All I know is that it's important and the few people I have asked about it, I couldn't fully understand the concept. Like who do I do it with? Why is it really that important? How do I do it? And is it really worth it if I find the person disagreeable in some way?
Stay in your cubicle, never attend any company or professional associations, its really the best thing for you. 

The most important aspect of networking is something that most engineers should be good at - have something of value to other people in the industry!  Do a good job on the work you are responsible for, and then - subtly - make sure people know that did in fact work on what you did (doesn't do much good to do the design work on an awesome project if no one knows that you were the guy or gal behind the stamp).  Because to me, that's what networking is all about - establishing a reputation. Can't have a good reputation if you don't do good work, or if people don't know you did it. 

Over time the value of networking then becomes apparent - more and more people get to know you for what you are capable of (for better or worse), and you get to know what others are capable of, as well. Then you can start calling on people for advice, they can call on you, suggest new positions, partnerships, nominate you for positions in local chapters, etc. 

Well seems like I am getting highly varying answers from all the various places that I have asked.

Just to be clear, I am not saying I don't talk to anyone who likes to or enjoys speaking to me or that I don't help when asked for. But I really don't feel comfortable going out of my way to go to parties or unnecessarily engage people because all I ever feel is that everybody gets piss drunk or there is simply bland, low level, gossip, respectively or perhaps somewhat overlapping.

I think my time would be better spent honing my core skills. Networking seems more chance based than that and I haven't quite gotten a particularly motivational answer to make me seek a more active role in it than what I have described.

Though, most answers here seem to gravitate more towards that, if not fully. Just clarifying myself.

Depending on your field/what type of job you're in, networking could also just be maintaining a relationship with a vendor or contractor that you never see in person, but who you do good work with.  I've had multiple jobs that, because I've worked on numerous jobs before with that particular person and was semi-competent, I was able to ask a 'favor' (like, 'oh no!  I forgot to put in a bottle order for a job tomorrow, so-and-so, can you please help?') and it would usually happen because of the time and past work that went into the relationship with that specific PM or sub. 

Networking could also just be seeing someone's name a lot at specific events/projects/job sites/etc.  After a while, you feel like you sort-of know that person, maybe you look up to them, and mentioning an event or linkein relationship is a way to expand your network.  Networking becomes more of a slog when you're first started, since it's mostly about getting your name out there, being introduced by co-workers to people they work a lot with, spending a lot of time after-hours having to go to an event that you're not that interested in (but that your company is really interested in getting work out of).  Once you're more established it kinda becomes more fun because you know a few people who are at the events, so you can go over, see if they have anything interesting going on, maybe get invited to a golf outing, maybe hear about a new conference, maybe hear about a new job opening.  The hiring process is still a big networking bash, even if you don't think it, and saying something like, "Oh!  So-and-so!  I knew him when I worked on BLANK with BLANK company, I thought he handled things nicely", will get you a much better response than saying I am extremely skilled in BLANK (unless you're getting specifically hired for a niche project, which doesn't happen to often).

Honing your core skills is great, but networking is what gets you the job to actually apply those core skills (a majority of the time).  If nobody knows who you are, why would they offer you the job?*

*Note, this has been my experiences in consulting, which is always a little more 'networking-based', not matter what work you're doing.

I totally get you, I always feel when there is someone broadcasting a 'great networking opportunity' all sorts of flags pop up in my head subconsciously. For me it has to happen naturally through actual working relationships or through actual good time drinking of suds, not the fake ' heres my business card see you later' type of stuff, though that is more natural to some more outgoing types. But hey, if it works for them

My networking in college made contacts that are now potential clients. My networking during my career made contacts that I could connect other contacts with for filling jobs (and not recruiters), or reach out to when I was wanting a change myself. I do more of a casual type of networking and just connect with people how I can and however feels natural and build on that. I've networked on this site too, met some cool engineers online and also in person from it. I know lots of random people in various places and it's really cool to realize this and how different experiences and opportunities fall into place. But if you don't want to network, you obviously don't have to! I'm not a networking bulldozer at all. I'm also not sure if any of what I said makes sense, because mobile devices. 

Back