October 2019 P.E. ELECTRICAL POWER

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bufalita

Reaction score
Anyone took the test today? I took it in MO. Would love to hear how you guys felt about it to calm my anxiety haha. Did you feel like you nailed it? Which session was harder?

I had to random guess on about 8 total and an additional 5-6 were educated guesses? I simply just didn't know the answer and I wasn't able to find a reference on some or I couldn't find a way to link my equations to a solution.

Confident on some of the math but their baited answers could have led me astray too.

The theory / qualitative questions were what I expected, some I was able to find in my references others I had no clue or it was buried so deep in a book I had I didn't have the time to look at it thoroughly. NFPA showed up more than I expected.

I imagine my score will be close to the cutoff zoneish just from how I felt.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I WAS SURPRISED TOO. I think I random guessed about the same amount you did and probably educated guess another 10 HAHA.  So I really have no clue how I did 

Took the test in MO today too. Was blindsided by a lot of questions asked, to say the least. As mentioned in the above comments, there were a lot of topics I thought were standard and spent a lot of time studying that were completely left off. 

I spent a few-hundred hours studying, and it feels like I studied for the wrong test. (Because I don't what that was...)

I took in TX and I feel the same way. I knew the exam was going to have a lot of theoretical question but I was extremely surprised on so many common types of questions not show up. I studied for about 150 hours and I feel like I wasted past four months studying for something that took me nowhere. I guessed/educated guessed on about 40% of the exam which is not good at all. PM was definitely much harder than AM...at least imo. I can only hope for the best and keep my fingers crossed until December.

So I felt like AM was harder than the PM.

The fact that there was a question referencing one of the obscure NFPA sections, was a joke

I took in TX and I feel the same way. I knew the exam was going to have a lot of theoretical question but I was extremely surprised on so many common types of questions not show up. I studied for about 150 hours and I feel like I wasted past four months studying for something that took me nowhere. I guessed/educated guessed on about 40% of the exam which is not good at all. PM was definitely much harder than AM...at least imo. I can only hope for the best and keep my fingers crossed until December.
I took in CA and I also guessed/educated guessed on about 40%.....I thought I studied a lot, but I felt like I took a totally different PE discipline..oh well.....it is what it is...

Do you guys find the last problem is the exact same as the third to the last in the PM session? Or was I fooled by the problem? That’s not good😧
You were not fooled. That is correct, and I know I got that one right so I hope they count it twice!!!!

Am session was lot of analytical question . Pm session was hard mainly code related question was not comfortable. 

And funny things was same question came twice.

Very uncomfortable exam. Especially in afternoon session.

Did NOT match the exam specs that NCEES provides. And why so much code related?  Multiple problems on NFPA 70E and that’s supposed to test competency as an electrical engineer?  What about the T&D, VR, PF correction etc.  Saw none of it. 

Oh yea... and a repeat question at the end. Frustrating. 

Wonder what the cut cut off will be.  I will certainly be close. 

The duplicate question in the afternoon was bizarre. I bet I checked the wording in that problem 5 times looking for differences. I narrowed it down to two different choices so I either got that one right twice or wrong twice.

Took the test in MO today too. Was blindsided by a lot of questions asked, to say the least. As mentioned in the above comments, there were a lot of topics I thought were standard and spent a lot of time studying that were completely left off. 

I spent a few-hundred hours studying, and it feels like I studied for the wrong test. (Because I don't what that was...)
I think this captures how I felt.  I obviously studied for the wrong test.  If you didn't have a power analysis textbook or the book on motors then you were up the creek.  Albeit even though I had these I still think I was up the creek.

As a reminder, during your exam, you agreed to and signed the following, “Nor will I reveal in whole or in part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, on any internet chat rooms, or otherwise. I understand that failure to comply with this statement could result in invalidation of my exam results, limit my ability to retake the exam, and/or result in other sanctions.”

How did you know that the exam was going to be more theory?  Has there been a shift in recent years?

Dang, you got hit by the NEC. Took it two years ago when the specs called for 10 questions max but was surprised by 12. (NEC was probably my weakest section but I did decently on them). Pf correction was pretty heavy then, there was lighting and lightning... pretty much all the topics on the list.

I loved how it still felt 50% practice and 50% theory in cases. (I didn’t count but felt balanced) If you went to school studying power the theory felt really fresh to understand the concepts / math background etc of things

Back