Recognizing Employees that Pass

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engr2004

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how to recognize employees that pass.

I know the standard answers... a bonus and recognition in front of the company.  Anyone have any additional ideas?

I was inspired by the idea of a Roman Triumph, where a conquering general would get a celebratory parade in the capital city.

Anyway, just looking for ideas.

I definitely appreciate recognition, but I've personally I've never been a big fan of "ceremonies". Maybe it's just the introvert in me. This is the type of stuff that I would value.

• A bonus, raise, or promotion (obviously)
  • Reimbursement of PE related costs (application and registration fees, prep courses, books, supplies, etc.)
  • Also, covering the ongoing cost of licensure (renewals, CPCs, etc)
  • A nice email to the engineering department
  • A mention during the next staff meeting
  • New business cards / new desk nameplate with "PE" 

Last edited by a moderator:
My company does an incentive (we don't call them bonuses but that's what it is), personalized congratulations messages from the CEO and President and written recognition in our weekly newsletter.

It's not uncommon for one of the higher ups to take the individual, maybe their whole team, out to lunch.

They also cover the cost of the exam itself as well as the days wages.

We have a fixed wage increase of $1/hour for the first PE The company will also pay all costs associated with getting the first PE.  Additional licenses are at the discretion of the supervisor/fivision head.  The company will order new business cards too.  Promotion isn’t guaranteed but you need the PE to get promotions above the junior staff level.

i think this depends on the size of the company, (we’ve got several hundred PEs) and how valuable an individual’s PE is to the company.  At my place essentially all engineers who meet the required experience level have a PE so from that perspective beyond a rite of passage it’s not all that big a deal.

The last two private companies that I worked for have a paid incentive. The amounts were $2,500 for the CM company and $1,500 for the federal consulting company. Each company would pay for classes and materials as well. 

I got a pay bump after I got my license, and congratulations from my coworkers (we’re a small firm so it’s pretty natural to recognize employees). I didn’t get reimbursed for my costs, but it was never a big deal to me anyway.

My company does $2500 raise and pays for the hotel, exam fee, and 200 bucks in material (books, etc.). They also pay for business cards afterwards. And your name is mentioned in the newsletters if you pass.

I got a salary adjustment that didn't correspond to my increased value. The adjustment came with a title change. The new title was a technicality to take away my eligibility for overtime pay. I solved that problem by leaving the company after a year.

My little team at my field office (who had nothing to do with my first paragraph) had a bottle of Dom Perignon waiting at my station at the next weekly update meeting. That was unnecessary but very kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take a day or two off. That would give me time to properly celebrate and really relax, which would be nice after a test like this. 🤷‍♀️

I mean, I got nothing when I passed except maybe a slightly higher raise, but that took a good 6-months to come to fruition?  I was elated the first day I passed, rush of relief of not having to take it again, but, tbh, it's going to feel much bigger to you than the rest of your company.

Back