Received my References!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUniverse

Reaction score
I just recently received my references and I was super excited to get them and now that I do I don't really know where to begin. I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback on which references are more relevant when it comes to the transportation depth. I don't know which one to start looking into to begin tabbing or even what to tab honestly. I start my EET review course on November 1st but I'm hoping I can get a head start by getting somewhat familiar with the references.

Thanks!!

I just recently received my references and I was super excited to get them and now that I do I don't really know where to begin. I was wondering if you guys could provide some feedback on which references are more relevant when it comes to the transportation depth. I don't know which one to start looking into to begin tabbing or even what to tab honestly. I start my EET review course on November 1st but I'm hoping I can get a head start by getting somewhat familiar with the references.

Thanks!!
Definitely the MUTCD, Green Book, and HCM. I would say the HSM and RDG after those. If you’re not familiar with a reference, I would tab the chapters just to get an overview and then dive in further from there. Your review course will be a tremendous help with showing you common areas of the references that are used.

I was lucky I had used the MUTCD extensively but I had to learn the HCM from scratch so don’t be too hard on yourself and try not to go crazy with every crevice of every reference.

Definitely the MUTCD, Green Book, and HCM. I would say the HSM and RDG after those. If you’re not familiar with a reference, I would tab the chapters just to get an overview and then dive in further from there. Your review course will be a tremendous help with showing you common areas of the references that are used.

I was lucky I had used the MUTCD extensively but I had to learn the HCM from scratch so don’t be too hard on yourself and try not to go crazy with every crevice of every reference.
Great advice thank you!

The EET reference binders have suggested 'significant chapters' and 'significant tables' for each of the references. I tabbed the chapter headings and the index for each reference.

If you're good with an index, the chapter divisions and a few tables is probably the most you should tab.

For answering obscure lookup questions, try to determine the key word or phrase in the question, then quickly browse the indices in your references to see if there's a match.

My HCM was divided into separate binders. I kept the table of contents for the overall binder collection tabbed as well, so that I could quickly navigate between binders.

It's a good idea to tab Temporary Traffic Control in the MUTCD, as this topic frequently comes up. Again, tab the first page of your indices in each reference! Many engineers I know seem to forget that an index exists, so it takes them ~10 minutes of guessing to find what I can locate in ~10 seconds.

Back