The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Your one stop cooking thread.  Turkey bacon not allowed.  If you can find it at a bakery, it belongs in the Baking thread.

Let 'er rip!

swedish_chef.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dinner last night with my bestie.

Pan fried hake (flour, salt, pepper) topped with a herb-lemon brown butter. Side of local cauliflower pan fried with capers, pine nuts, lemon zest.

IMG_20191010_085249_938.jpg

Few weeks ago I made butternut squash potato leek soup and homemade croutons. There was a satchet of herbs in the pot I forgot to remove before using the immersion blender 😖 so its chunky than it should be because the cheese cloth wrapped itself up into the blade shaft 😖

Taste really good tho

20190926_194207.jpg

Few weeks ago I made butternut squash potato leek soup and homemade croutons. There was a satchet of herbs in the pot I forgot to remove before using the immersion blender 😖 so its chunky than it should be because the cheese cloth wrapped itself up into the blade shaft 😖

Taste really good tho
Recipe for soup?  I do a potato leek soup with scallions and I usually don't add a lot of herbs since I sauté the onions/leeks/scallions/garlic beforehand, so I'm curious since I've never thought to have butternut squash soup (but it sounds delicious).

Last night, we had grilled veggie skewers with a cilantro lime avocado "sauce" and cilantro lime black bean rice. Conveniently, this is also my lunch today (leftover win!). Super delicious! Recipe was from the cookbook Love Real Food by the blogger Cookie and Kate, and is legitimately my favorite cookbook right now.

We got a Lodge 12" dutch oven before our camping adventure last month and only used the lid as a skillet to fry up some eggs and bacon.  Not bad, but I was wanting to practice with some real meals at home before diving in at the campsite.  The Lodge book that came with the oven has a number of recipes and one that stuck in my mind looks awesome.  It uses two whole chickens (cut up), 2 or 4 lbf ribs, onions, vinegar, etc... Takes 3+ hours to make.  Debating whether to try this or something less... big. 

Anyone have successfully done dutch oven recipes using charcoal briquettes?

From a thread the other day, here is my current go-to chili recipe:

• Angus chuck (cubed)
  • Ground beef
  • Bottle of Budweiser
  • Cocoa powder
  • Fresh garlic
  • Onion
  • Tomatoes w/green chilies, e.g. Rotel
  • Beans (at the wife's insistence) 
  • Ancho chili peppers and cajun bell peppers
  • Spices - salt, pepper, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, brown sugar (not much), garlic powder, Hungarian Paprika (sweet, because the wife didn't want it very spicy)
  • Few splashes of balsamic vinegar (forgot this part the other day)
Started by browning/searing the chuck and ground beef, then came in with the onions/garlic/peppers.  Bottle of beer to deglaze, then everybody in the pot, tweaking the seasonings between hours 2-5 depending on how much certain flavors mellowed out.  

I am VERY tempted to give this another go, but try smoking the chuck roast before hand.  I have on good authority that smoked chuck can actually taste better than brisket, and I think it could add an interesting depth of flavor that would play off the anchos and chili powder really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got a Lodge 12" dutch oven before our camping adventure last month and only used the lid as a skillet to fry up some eggs and bacon.  Not bad, but I was wanting to practice with some real meals at home before diving in at the campsite.  The Lodge book that came with the oven has a number of recipes and one that stuck in my mind looks awesome.  It uses two whole chickens (cut up), 2 or 4 lbf ribs, onions, vinegar, etc... Takes 3+ hours to make.  Debating whether to try this or something less... big. 

Give it a go.  There are some charts out there that do a pretty good job of telling you how to control temperature on dutch ovens with amount of charcoal on/under.  I think one of the keys is to use GOOD charcoal if you're worried about temperature control, especially on an extended cook, or it burns up too quick and you'll have to babysit.  Slow cook BBQ is pretty hard to screw up in a dutch oven, so I wouldn't hesitate to try it with chicken and (presumably) country style ribs.

Personally, if you're going to try a camp recipe, I'd make a mini fire in the backyard and try.  Usually my family did something like this in our fire pit during the summer.  We'd do the potatoes/hobo meals in the fire as it warmed up, stick the cast-iron in the fire to pre-warm, and mom would make stuff while we toasted marshmallows and stuff.  Unless you bring charcoal briquettes out when you camp?  I mean, they do heat/hold heat a different way than a normal campfire would. 

Unless you bring charcoal briquettes out when you camp?  I mean, they do heat/hold heat a different way than a normal campfire would. 
That's what we've done so far with just the skillet setup.  It's cheap and predictable.  Logs are an added challenge and if the oven is on the logs when they shift / crumble, dinner spills.  We don't want that.

Back