Eng Pro Guide Exam 1 (Batteries)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakiTaki

Reaction score
Can someone please help me understand why increasing ambient temperature help increase the output capacity of the battery? What exactly do they mean by output capacity of battery?

image.png

Any battery is an electro-chemical device.  Increasing temperature tends to increase the energy released by the chemical reaction.  As an every-day example, it's why your car battery may work just fine on a 70 degree day and not be able to start the car when it's 30 outside.

Can someone please help me understand why increasing ambient temperature help increase the output capacity of the battery? What exactly do they mean by output capacity of battery?

View attachment 13922
Batteries perform better in higher temperatures except for extreme temperatures.  

Batteries have internal resistance (there are some good YouTube videos on this).  Imagine a 12 volt battery.  The load will not draw a full 12 volts because there is a small voltage drop due to this internal resistance.  12V = Vdrop + V_load.

In slightly warmer environments (not extreme), this resistance is less allowing for more output (volts provided to the load).

Any battery is an electro-chemical device.  Increasing temperature tends to increase the energy released by the chemical reaction.  As an every-day example, it's why your car battery may work just fine on a 70 degree day and not be able to start the car when it's 30 outside.
I didn’t see your answer.  Sorry didn’t mean to give a competing explanation.

I didn’t see your answer.  Sorry didn’t mean to give a competing explanation.
No worries.  I should have added that, for vented lead acid cells, you can find correction factors for temperature vs. battery capacity in IEEE Standard 485 (Sizing) and 450 (Maintenance and Testing).

Back