When did science become vast?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

random_soldier1337

Reaction score
We've reached a point where it seems like you can't be an expert in everything. But it seems from history that there was a time when you could be good at all the latest research subjects. Over what time period did those changes happen and what changes happened for such a shift?

We're not supposed to be an expert in everything.  We know what we know, specialize in one field and may brush others with a broad stroke!

I only know one fella that is licensed in 8 different engineering disciplines in one state, his CEU requirements are off the charts.  Others that have 2-3 license are at least somewhat related to each other or in the same field.

What are you smoking? Better put the weed down son and pick up the latest version of the NCEES Practice Exam!
Like only the dankest of danks, like, my dude. I, like, feel, like, it elevates my engineering skills into like the next dimension, my man.

We're not supposed to be an expert in everything.  We know what we know, specialize in one field and may brush others with a broad stroke!

I only know one fella that is licensed in 8 different engineering disciplines in one state, his CEU requirements are off the charts.  Others that have 2-3 license are at least somewhat related to each other or in the same field.
What's the full form of CEU?

It's still not as vast as my PE-ness!
And your nuts! Squirrels sure have a lot of nuts. I suspected as much but I didn't realize there were so many nuts!

What's the full form of CEU?
CEU = Continuing Education Units. He's talking about the continuing education that PEs have to obtain every year. I've also seen them referred to as CPC (continuing professional compentency), CPD (continuing professional development), PDH (professional development hours). 

Last edited by a moderator:
CEU = Continuing Education Units. He's talking about the continuing education that PEs have to obtain every year. I've also seen them referred to as CPC (continuing professional compentency), CPD (continuing professional development), PDH (professional development hours). 
What do these accomplish?

What do these accomplish?
Yeah. You have to complete a certain number of hours of continuing education and submit a log every time you renew your PE license. You can also be audited, then you have to prove you completed the continuing education that you said you completed.

In states that require continuing education, they allow you to stay licensed.
Do all states not required continuing education?

We've reached a point where it seems like you can't be an expert in everything. But it seems from history that there was a time when you could be good at all the latest research subjects. Over what time period did those changes happen and what changes happened for such a shift?
No one has ever had complete knowledge or even expertise about everything, ever.

Are you complaining about having to take that stupid surveying exam?

Yeah, at least they decoupled the PE exam from applying for licensure (after I'd already taken it, so moot point for me).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah maybe I should ask, what does the individual gain from it? I mean other than being allowed to maintain requirements to remain a PE.

Ah maybe I should ask, what does the individual gain from it? I mean other than being allowed to maintain requirements to remain a PE.
The intent is continued learning and depends on the individual approach.  If you simply want to maintain your PE you can choose whatever PDHs are cheapest/readily available but may be of no value to you.  If, on the other hand, you want to continue learning or reinforce what you already know, you may opt for PDHs to accomplish that.

Back