Any scientists here done interviews on shows? What's it like? - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
random_soldier1337

Any scientists here done interviews on shows? What's it like?

Absolutely, I often am interviewed by the Orlando Sentinel regarding storm water planning in the south Disney Area.

• Like 1

I've done a few science shows, editorial boards, press conferences, media calls, web shows, etc. The prep work and techniques vary depending on the audience, medium, subject matter, and interviewer. Do you have a specific question about the experience?

I was curious if random individuals ever got your contact and just called you about something silly like their guilt over letting their mother use a mobile phone which may have exacerbated their cancer or something like that.

Also about how to deal with an audience full of hecklers or people otherwise not ready to listen to you about a technology/finding they have been made to believe is bad.

What engineers do you know that get heckled?

2 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

I was curious if random individuals ever got your contact and just called you about something silly like their guilt over letting their mother use a mobile phone which may have exacerbated their cancer or something like that.

A few of those make it past my spam filter everyday. They are never lucid.

2 hours ago, random_soldier1337 said:

Also about how to deal with an audience full of hecklers or people otherwise not ready to listen to you about a technology/finding they have been made to believe is bad.

Depends on the situation. Is it a legally required meeting? Are you the host or guest? Establishing that you sincerely care about their concerns in pretty important, connect with the audience, always be truthful, be concise, repeat messaging.

You should consider "How to Master the Media" by George Merlis for pro-tips.

3 minutes ago, aog said:

What engineers do you know that get heckled?

Literally anyone who is holding a public meeting on a project that is the least bit controversial.

4 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Literally anyone who is holding a public meeting on a project that is the least bit controversial.

I came here to say this. Engineers get heckled all the time at public meetings. 

Absolutely, I often am interviewed by the Orlando Sentinel regarding storm water planning in the south Disney Area.

19520b028d389344bc7ae0dba9c57cc5.jpg

6 hours ago, csb said:

I came here to say this. Engineers get heckled all the time at public meetings. 

Tell me about it!  Whenever they put me out on display at a public hearing, it seems like all I can do is offend and horrify, even people who are in favor of the project! 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

I have been straight-out yelled at by people in a community meeting because of a proposed redevelopment.  That I was just completing soil sampling for.  Whereas the developer, who was sitting right next to me, was boo'd for a soil 5-minutes.

So.  Yeah.  Public meetings are fun but I'd much rather do a conference.

I've been heckled a LOT over the years.  Most recently by the Judge and Jury.  I'll never live that down.

I just want to visit the big top, not to be confused with the big house!

11 hours ago, PE-ness said:

Tell me about it!  Whenever they put me out on display at a public hearing, it seems like all I can do is offend and horrify, even people who are in favor of the project! 

Good to see you back @PE-ness; it's been a few years!

Some folks are too easily offended!

2 hours ago, JayKay0914 said:

I have been straight-out yelled at by people in a community meeting because of a proposed redevelopment.  That I was just completing soil sampling for.  Whereas the developer, who was sitting right next to me, was boo'd for a soil 5-minutes.

Freudian slip? Or going for @ChebyshevII PE style pun?

3 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

I wouldn’t have been quite so sloppy. Stop trying to throw dirt my way.

• Like 1
  • fudgey 1

11 hours ago, PE-ness said:

That sounds really hard. Kudos for sticking up for yourself, though. Hope you have a stroke of good luck next time.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, random_soldier1337 said:

Or maybe even talked to someone who doesn't do science but has an interest in the knowledge? How was your experience?

doesn't "do" science?

46 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Yes and yes.  I am secretly lusting after loamy soils.

Loam makes me lusty, too.

As long as it's not too gritty. Or chafey.

Wow! Harassed, teased, pushed around...I could picture that, but it never occurred to me that an engineer might actually be heckled at work. Makes me want to not work on public projects.

5 minutes ago, aog said:

Wow! Harassed, teased, pushed around...I could picture that, but it never occurred to me that an engineer might actually be heckled at work. Makes me want to not work on public projects.

Private or public, you'll be yelled at.  A majority of the 'yelling' at me was done when I was in private sector.  I only recently began my public sector career, so I'll let you know if I have any other yelling.

You know, thinking about life in general, when has there not been someone losing their mind over anything and everything that I do?

On 10/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, EB NCEES REP said:

doesn't "do" science?

Yeah. These people always keep talking about doing other people, never science, which is most important in life. What does it even mean?