Any scientists here done interviews on shows? What's it like?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

random_soldier1337

Reaction score
Or maybe even talked to someone who doesn't do science but has an interest in the knowledge? How was your experience?

Absolutely, I often am interviewed by the Orlando Sentinel regarding storm water planning in the south Disney Area.

I've done a few science shows, editorial boards, press conferences, media calls, web shows, etc. The prep work and techniques vary depending on the audience, medium, subject matter, and interviewer. Do you have a specific question about the experience?

I was curious if random individuals ever got your contact and just called you about something silly like their guilt over letting their mother use a mobile phone which may have exacerbated their cancer or something like that.

Also about how to deal with an audience full of hecklers or people otherwise not ready to listen to you about a technology/finding they have been made to believe is bad.

What engineers do you know that get heckled?

I was curious if random individuals ever got your contact and just called you about something silly like their guilt over letting their mother use a mobile phone which may have exacerbated their cancer or something like that.
A few of those make it past my spam filter everyday. They are never lucid.

Also about how to deal with an audience full of hecklers or people otherwise not ready to listen to you about a technology/finding they have been made to believe is bad.
Depends on the situation. Is it a legally required meeting? Are you the host or guest? Establishing that you sincerely care about their concerns in pretty important, connect with the audience, always be truthful, be concise, repeat messaging.

You should consider "How to Master the Media" by George Merlis for pro-tips.

What engineers do you know that get heckled?
Literally anyone who is holding a public meeting on a project that is the least bit controversial.

Absolutely, I often am interviewed by the Orlando Sentinel regarding storm water planning in the south Disney Area.

19520b028d389344bc7ae0dba9c57cc5.jpg

I came here to say this. Engineers get heckled all the time at public meetings. 
Tell me about it!  Whenever they put me out on display at a public hearing, it seems like all I can do is offend and horrify, even people who are in favor of the project! 

Literally anyone who is holding a public meeting on a project that is the least bit controversial.
I have been straight-out yelled at by people in a community meeting because of a proposed redevelopment.  That I was just completing soil sampling for.  Whereas the developer, who was sitting right next to me, was boo'd for a soil 5-minutes.

So.  Yeah.  Public meetings are fun but I'd much rather do a conference.

I've been heckled a LOT over the years.  Most recently by the Judge and Jury.  I'll never live that down.

I just want to visit the big top, not to be confused with the big house!

Tell me about it!  Whenever they put me out on display at a public hearing, it seems like all I can do is offend and horrify, even people who are in favor of the project! 
Good to see you back @PE-ness; it's been a few years!

Some folks are too easily offended!

That sounds really hard. Kudos for sticking up for yourself, though. Hope you have a stroke of good luck next time.

Wow! Harassed, teased, pushed around...I could picture that, but it never occurred to me that an engineer might actually be heckled at work. Makes me want to not work on public projects.

Back