Wildi vs Wiley Which is better? Book: Electronic Machinese and power electronics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
I have seen many people suggest the Wildi book, I own the Wiley book from college. I was curious if anyone has looked at both books and consider one to be far superior than the other.  Didn't want to buy the Wildi book of most of the information is identical. 

I have both and prefer Wildi.  It was an easier read for me.  That's very subjective though.  YMMV.

@fyrfytr310

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for is for people who have had both. Do you know if any of these books are free download/PDF online? I know NES/NESC isn't but the other ones listed I thought may be. This is direct list from NCEES as the "reference material suggested to bring". 

NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017
NESC 2017
NFPA 70E -2018
NFPA 497 -2017
NFPA 499 -2017
NFPA 30B -2015

I was not able to find any of those online.

@fyrfytr310

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for is for people who have had both. Do you know if any of these books are free download/PDF online? I know NES/NESC isn't but the other ones listed I thought may be. This is direct list from NCEES as the "reference material suggested to bring". 

NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017
NESC 2017
NFPA 70E -2018
NFPA 497 -2017
NFPA 499 -2017
NFPA 30B -2015

I have seen many people suggest the Wildi book, I own the Wiley book from college. I was curious if anyone has looked at both books and consider one to be far superior than the other.  Didn't want to buy the Wildi book of most of the information is identical. 
What's the full title of the Wiley book? I can check if I have it to compare.  Wildi's book is one of the greatest of all time for motors and transformers in my opinion. The in chapter examples are excellent, and the chapter explanations are very easy to follow compared to others. 

My *only* criticism of Wildi's book is that everything is in metric units. So newton meters for torque. However, that seems par for the course for most engineering books as the vast majority of the world uses the metric system. In the US we use the imperial system so that is what the PE exam tests on.

The nice thing is that your calculator can do all of the metric to imperial conversions for you. On the TI-36X Pro just hit 2nd -> convert (it is the number "8" key). 

@fyrfytr310

NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017
NESC 2017
NFPA 70E -2018
NFPA 497 -2017
NFPA 499 -2017
NFPA 30B -2015
Code books are not free. Sometimes you can find legal copies of older editions but it won't do you much good since they will not be the edition being tested on. 

Code books are not free. Sometimes you can find legal copies of older editions but it won't do you much good since they will not be the edition being tested on. 
I knew the first 3 weren't free, but I can't seem to find the other 3 listed on amazon or anywhere where I should buy them. 

@Zach Stone, P.E. Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems (6th Edition) 6th Edition 

I see its on your list of books needed. I just didn't know if I should also be reviewing the Wiley book as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back