Wildi vs Wiley Which is better? Book: Electronic Machinese and power electronics - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
SparkyBill

Wildi vs Wiley Which is better? Book: Electronic Machinese and power electronics

Recommended Posts

I have seen many people suggest the Wildi book, I own the Wiley book from college. I was curious if anyone has looked at both books and consider one to be far superior than the other.  Didn't want to buy the Wildi book of most of the information is identical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both and prefer Wildi.  It was an easier read for me.  That's very subjective though.  YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fyrfytr310

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for is for people who have had both. Do you know if any of these books are free download/PDF online? I know NES/NESC isn't but the other ones listed I thought may be. This is direct list from NCEES as the "reference material suggested to bring". 

 

NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017
NESC 2017
NFPA 70E -2018
NFPA 497 -2017
NFPA 499 -2017
NFPA 30B -2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not able to find any of those online.

27 minutes ago, SparkyBill said:

@fyrfytr310

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for is for people who have had both. Do you know if any of these books are free download/PDF online? I know NES/NESC isn't but the other ones listed I thought may be. This is direct list from NCEES as the "reference material suggested to bring". 

 

NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017
NESC 2017
NFPA 70E -2018
NFPA 497 -2017
NFPA 499 -2017
NFPA 30B -2015

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SparkyBill said:

I have seen many people suggest the Wildi book, I own the Wiley book from college. I was curious if anyone has looked at both books and consider one to be far superior than the other.  Didn't want to buy the Wildi book of most of the information is identical. 

What's the full title of the Wiley book? I can check if I have it to compare.  Wildi's book is one of the greatest of all time for motors and transformers in my opinion. The in chapter examples are excellent, and the chapter explanations are very easy to follow compared to others. 

My *only* criticism of Wildi's book is that everything is in metric units. So newton meters for torque. However, that seems par for the course for most engineering books as the vast majority of the world uses the metric system. In the US we use the imperial system so that is what the PE exam tests on.

The nice thing is that your calculator can do all of the metric to imperial conversions for you. On the TI-36X Pro just hit 2nd -> convert (it is the number "8" key). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SparkyBill said:

@fyrfytr310

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for is for people who have had both. Do you know if any of these books are free download/PDF online? I know NES/NESC isn't but the other ones listed I thought may be. This is direct list from NCEES as the "reference material suggested to bring". 

 

NFPA 70 (NEC) 2017
NESC 2017
NFPA 70E -2018
NFPA 497 -2017
NFPA 499 -2017
NFPA 30B -2015

Code books are not free. Sometimes you can find legal copies of older editions but it won't do you much good since they will not be the edition being tested on. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zach Stone, P.E. said:

Code books are not free. Sometimes you can find legal copies of older editions but it won't do you much good since they will not be the edition being tested on. 

 

I knew the first 3 weren't free, but I can't seem to find the other 3 listed on amazon or anywhere where I should buy them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SparkyBill said:

I knew the first 3 weren't free, but I can't seem to find the other 3 listed on amazon or anywhere where I should buy them. 

This page on our main website has links to where you can buy most of the books: https://www.electricalpereview.com/recommended-references-resources-electrical-power-pe-exam/

Personally, I don't recommend spending money on the three hazardous classification books. More on why in the link above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zach Stone, P.E. said:

This page on our main website has links to where you can buy most of the books: https://www.electricalpereview.com/recommended-references-resources-electrical-power-pe-exam/

Personally, I don't recommend spending money on the three hazardous classification books. More on why in the link above. 

Read that entire web page twice, and I can't wait to read it again! So much amazing information in a condensed article!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zach Stone, P.E. Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems (6th Edition) 6th Edition 

 

I see its on your list of books needed. I just didn't know if I should also be reviewing the Wiley book as well. 

Edited by SparkyBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...