Conical washer/spacer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Anyone know if there's an off the shelf item (or name for this type of washer/spacer) that fills the recess of an 82 degree countersink to make the surface flat?  My application requires a flat surface to mount a spacer, whereas it was previously attached via a  3/8-16 flat head socket cap screw.Bracket Countersink.jpg

How much load are you putting on it?  Can you fill it with epoxy and then drill it out?

I did a quick search of Grainger, McMaster Carr and my local Ace hardware. Didn't find anything that would work as described.

Best bet is to fill out in with epoxy and drill as suggested above.

How much load are you putting on it?  Can you fill it with epoxy and then drill it out?
Not a ton.  The bracket holds a sensor in place, and the standoff will be supporting a belt tensioner that's anchored in two other locations.  In compression, we're probably talking low double-digit ft/lbs just to torque the assembly in place.

Why can't the flat spacer rest on the remaining flat surface?
The OD of the spacer is basically the same OD as the cap screw head.  

Searching for conical shim seems to bring up some results.
I did the same, and only found them for very small metric screws, or for lugnuts which are much larger and use a different taper.

I think I'm just going to end up just whacking the head off another screw and boring a hole through it, and let that serve as my washer.

I think I'm just going to end up just whacking the head off another screw and boring a hole through it, and let that serve as my washer.
That is what I would do. If you can start with a hex recess fastener that should give you a nice centering hole for the bore. Also, I would lop the tail end off after boring the hole. My 0.02

Back