Which version of Machinery’s handbook for MDM exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abogos

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have organized my references and personal notes and pretty much most of the questions I worked were covered in my references and I could look them up but I noticed that Machinery’s handbook is recommended by most of the people I talked to and also by PE prep courses like EngPro Guide. There is probably greater detail in that book in case a very detailed question comes up about mechanical components and such. 

Have you used this book on the exam? Do you recommend it 100%? Which version should I get and be fine (Large print, toolbox, etc.)? does edition matter (30th, 29th)? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the 27th edition and I found it helpful but other books also contain similar info. Thinking you will have enough time to seek out info you don't know on a page you have not already tabbed is unlikely unless you get to the end of the exam ahead of schedule or are just extremely good at listing through the book/have photographic memory. If it fits in your milk crate and you feel comfortable with the index, I say bring it. I was lucky enough to borrow my copy so I cannot say when the usefulness drops off with editions in the past vs cost. Good luck in October!

I didn't use Machinery's Handbook. Didn't need it. Between the MERM, Shigley's, and my notes from Dr. Tom's class, I didn't need any other references. But maybe I just got lucky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for your responses. I was thinking to get one and tab it on the most important concepts like gears, bolts, etc and skim through it in case a very detailed question comes up that none of my other references (Shigley, MERM, Dr. Tom)  covers I can refer to the machinery’s handbook, but doesn’t seem like it is really necessary. 

I didn't use Machinery's Handbook. Didn't need it. Between the MERM, Shigley's, and my notes from Dr. Tom's class, I didn't need any other references. But maybe I just got lucky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@jean15paul, how would you say Dr. Tom's course prepared you? I'm feeling confident after doing his fast track course. I find that I can use the notes from his program for most practice problems but I'm worried I am getting a false sense of security. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your responses. I was thinking to get one and tab it on the most important concepts like gears, bolts, etc and skim through it in case a very detailed question comes up that none of my other references (Shigley, MERM, Dr. Tom)  covers I can refer to the machinery’s handbook, but doesn’t seem like it is really necessary. 
A very common downfall for those taking the exam if taking references which they are not familiar with and skimming for answers.  If you have used the Machinery's HDBK in your job then you should take it, if you've never used it before and will purchase for the exam, it probably isn't needed.

@jean15paul, how would you say Dr. Tom's course prepared you? I'm feeling confident after doing his fast track course. I find that I can use the notes from his program for most practice problems but I'm worried I am getting a false sense of security. Any suggestions?
I thought Dr. Tom's course was really good. I definitely learned a lot of stuff I didn't know, and relearned stuff that I forgot. I think it prepared me well for the exam. I actually wrote a full review of the course in the Prep Class / Study Material Review forum if you care to read the long version. Specific to your question (swiped from my review)...

One thing that I would say, the "Dr. Tom Method" makes a big deal about predicting what type of problems are on the exam (mostly based on what's in the NCEES practice exam) and having example problems worked that you can refer to. His philosophy is that it's much faster to follow a solved example problem than it is to figure it out from the formulas or from the theory. While I agree with that in principle, it didn't work out like that for me when I took the exam. Most of the problems were similar to what I studied, but just different enough (slightly more complex), that I did end up having to figure out a lot during the exam. But the class definitely gave me the info and knowledge to figure it out, so I can't really complain.
Full review here: 

A very common downfall for those taking the exam if taking references which they are not familiar with and skimming for answers.  If you have used the Machinery's HDBK in your job then you should take it, if you've never used it before and will purchase for the exam, it probably isn't needed.
I agree with this with one difference. You can definitely purchase books that your aren't familiar with and get familiar with them while you use them in your exam prep. So I would say if it's a book that you're not already familiar with from your job AND you didn't use it in your prep work, then don't bring it.
That being said, I broke that rule and brought TONS of book. But I didn't end up touching them during the exam. 

The machinery's hand book has changed so very little over the years, I often wonder why they bother revising it.

I'm all about buying used reference books, not just for the PE exam, but for work in general. I had a list of books I wanted, and I setup alerts for anytime those books were less than $60. I think I've gotten all of them by now. I was often able to get good books cheap when libraries would sell off their old books.

For instance, on problem 7 of Eng. Pro guide practice exam which is about surface roughness and the related symbols, where would I find information on this if I don’t have the machinery’s handbook? I know I can think of some materials related parameters and find information online and take it in with me but these are very specific topics, like let’s say there is a question on some specific type of adhesive or anything like this, the MERM doesn’t cover everything I believe. There are so many material related topics in manufacturing/machine design, I just want to know what references are sufficient for topics like this on the MDM PE exam. 

For instance, on problem 7 of Eng. Pro guide practice exam which is about surface roughness and the related symbols, where would I find information on this if I don’t have the machinery’s handbook? I know I can think of some materials related parameters and find information online and take it in with me but these are very specific topics, like let’s say there is a question on some specific type of adhesive or anything like this, the MERM doesn’t cover everything I believe. There are so many material related topics in manufacturing/machine design, I just want to know what references are sufficient for topics like this on the MDM PE exam. 
Surface roughness is treated in section 2-4 of the MERM. And note that exactly no one is saying that you should not take the macheinery's handbook as a reference to the exam. In fact I highly recommend you do, given you have familiarity with it.

Let me state it this way: take exactly EVERY reference you think will be helpful that you also have familiarity with.

Surface roughness is treated in section 2-4 of the MERM. And note that exactly no one is saying that you should not take the macheinery's handbook as a reference to the exam. In fact I highly recommend you do, given you have familiarity with it.

Let me state it this way: take exactly EVERY reference you think will be helpful that you also have familiarity with.
I think I will just get the toolbox version. 

Back