BPELSG Application Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainjane

Reaction score
Hi all! Wondering if anyone has recently submitted an application to take the California State exams (Seismic and Surveying) and has heard back from the board that they're approved, not approved, etc.?

I submitted my application on June 15th, got an email on July 31st that it's been referred for technical review, and haven't heard anything since.

Once my 60 days had passed, I attempted to call the board to check on the status of my application. Every time I've called (maybe around 3-4 times now, since August 16th or so), I get forwarded to the A-G evaluator, for whom I leave a voicemail. However, I have yet to make contact with him and haven't received any calls or emails from him. 

Is anyone else having this problem? The receptionist/office manager that I've spoken to says I should have heard back by now...

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has recently submitted an application to take the California State exams (Seismic and Surveying) and has heard back from the board that they're approved, not approved, etc.?

I submitted my application on June 15th, got an email on July 31st that it's been referred for technical review, and haven't heard anything since.

Once my 60 days had passed, I attempted to call the board to check on the status of my application. Every time I've called (maybe around 3-4 times now, since August 16th or so), I get forwarded to the A-G evaluator, for whom I leave a voicemail. However, I have yet to make contact with him and haven't received any calls or emails from him. 

Is anyone else having this problem? The receptionist/office manager that I've spoken to says I should have heard back by now...
Just be patient. It depends how many applicants apply at each quarter. It took me about 5-6 months to get approved. You can call the board but I don't think it will speed up your processing.

Based on your last name, look up your evaluator online and email them instead.

It is very hard to get them by phone, but they will usually answer your emails within like 2-3 days. 

Hi, I submitted my application on July 17th and it was delivered on the 19th. I just received an email saying that it was in Technical Review today and am a little worried that it won't be approved before the end of September. I plan on emailing once 60 days has passed (next Monday) but does anybody think I have a chance at still getting approved before the end of September? Given that JClanton submitted a month before me, i'm a bit concerned. Otherwise I would need to wait until January 2020 right?

I'm a bit nervous since I just started a review class and would want to postpone it if it didn't get approved for the October-December 2019 Quarter. 

Based on your last name, look up your evaluator online and email them instead.

It is very hard to get them by phone, but they will usually answer your emails within like 2-3 days. 
Yes, I emailed them before I tried calling actually, right after my 60 days had passed. No response. 

I actually was able to contact my evaluator's boss (maybe?) yesterday afternoon, who told me basically what I already knew. 

Hi, I submitted my application on July 17th and it was delivered on the 19th. I just received an email saying that it was in Technical Review today and am a little worried that it won't be approved before the end of September. I plan on emailing once 60 days has passed (next Monday) but does anybody think I have a chance at still getting approved before the end of September? Given that JClanton submitted a month before me, i'm a bit concerned. Otherwise I would need to wait until January 2020 right?

I'm a bit nervous since I just started a review class and would want to postpone it if it didn't get approved for the October-December 2019 Quarter. 
I will post when I hear back about approval, but from what I've heard, you may want to postpone as it can take at least 2+ months to hear back. If you heard back about technical review yesterday, I would say that being approved within the next 2-3 weeks isn't likely.

It also kind of sucks because the Seismic code being used on the test is changing as of January 2020, which means if you don't get approved for Q4 (Oct-Dec), you'll have to use the updated Seismic code for Q1 in 2020. I'm in the same boat, which is why I haven't purchased any review materials for Seismic yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be patient. It depends how many applicants apply at each quarter. It took me about 5-6 months to get approved. You can call the board but I don't think it will speed up your processing.
5-6 months? Wow! That's quite a process. Is that the time after you submitted your application initially? Or after it was referred for technical review?

Initial

5-6 months? Wow! That's quite a process. Is that the time after you submitted your application initially? Or after it was referred for technical review?
The time after I submitted my application. It took two months after get email regarding technical review.

I am having the same experience with my application: delivered to Board on June 5th, referred to technical review on July 31st, and nothing since. I also tried emailing the evaluator after 60 days passed over a month ago but I never heard back either. It is taking significantly longer to get a response than it did for the majority of my coworkers, so maybe they are dealing with more applicants than normal. I am a little bummed because I thought for sure if I applied early June I would have heard back by now, but it doesn't seem like there is much else to do but wait it out.

I sent my application in late June and it has already been approved. It took right around 60 days.

6/26/19 - Application Sent
6/27/19 - Application Delivered
7/8/19 - Check Cashed
7/25/19 - Application in Technical Review
8/27/19 - Application Approved for Examination

I sent my application in late June and it has already been approved. It took right around 60 days.

6/26/19 - Application Sent
6/27/19 - Application Delivered
7/8/19 - Check Cashed
7/25/19 - Application in Technical Review
8/27/19 - Application Approved for Examination
How odd that it's so quick for some and not for others! I wonder if it may have something to do with last name and how many submit applications to each evaluator...

Or possibly you just have lots of experience and were easy to approve. Lucky you! :)

Has anyone receive an update on their application? Sent mine in on July 18th and still haven't heard anything back yet aside from a response to an email I sent a couple of weeks ago saying my application is in technical review with an engineer on staff.

I sent in my re-application to Guam in July 2019, received an approval letter from Guam in under 10 days.  Received approval via snail mail from the California board on October 1 for Q4 of 2019.  HOWEVER, they put down the wrong ID number and I cannot schedule the exam.  Still waiting to back from the board via email.

EDIT - Figured out the ID number issue on my own and scheduled the exam. Still awaiting response from the board. Will be surprised if I get a formal response before the end of the quarter.

I sent in my re-application to Guam in July 2019, received an approval letter from Guam in under 10 days.  Received approval via snail mail from the California board on October 1 for Q4 of 2019.  HOWEVER, they put down the wrong ID number and I cannot schedule the exam.  Still waiting to back from the board via email.
PM me if you don't hear back promptly

Hi all! I heard back yesterday that my application was approved. So it took a total of 4 months - June 15th to October 15th - to get approved.

Best of luck to anyone who hasn't heard yet!

Hi all! I heard back yesterday that my application was approved. So it took a total of 4 months - June 15th to October 15th - to get approved.

Best of luck to anyone who hasn't heard yet!
That's great news! Congrats. I applied on Aug 23rd, check was cashed Aug 29th and it has crossed the 60 day mark but still haven't heard back from the board. I emailed them today so I hope I get it approved soon. Fingers crossed

That's great news! Congrats. I applied on Aug 23rd, check was cashed Aug 29th and it has crossed the 60 day mark but still haven't heard back from the board. I emailed them today so I hope I get it approved soon. Fingers crossed
I have heard that for some people it takes 5-6 months, some people only 2-3. It's all up to chance, I guess. Good luck!

Just as an update, I submitted my (initial/first time) application on July 17th and it was delivered on the 19th. I received the notification that it was under technical review on September 11th and received the approval yesterday October 29th. So overall for me, it took a little over 3 months (103 days).

Back