Small Engineering Firm - Getting more Business

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehparadox1

Reaction score
So I started a small civil engineering firm a couple of months ago.  Have three projects totaling a little over 10k.  My focus has been on small residential homes needing grading plans, E&S plans, and assistance on permitting process. Any ideas on how to get more business? 

@tehparadox1

Introduce yourself to architects in the area. At the last engineering firm I worked at we had a couple of architects that brought us plans they needed engineering on. Sometimes is was residential work, sometimes is was MEP+S work. Just tell them you would appreciate the opportunity to submit bids on any future work they may have. Also, make the assumption they already have an engineer they like to work with, so don't go in there with the attitude of "I can do the work better, for cheaper." Just come off as an engineer that is available if they need an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a nice, simple website with good SEO. Many people looking for residential work will google stuff like: civil engineer in [city name here], residential engineering in [city name here], etc. Try to be some of the top results for these searches. Also get on google maps. This will help your search results, and a lot of people will go to engineers that are close by. Use "Google My Business" to manage your listing.

Here are the top 10 searches, by impressions, that my previous firm appears in (blue is company name):

Capture.PNG

[SIZE=10pt]I think you should actually create the website and make some SEO to expend your business to wider audience. It does not require huge investments you can use a number of SEO tools designed for website promotion. Feel free to check it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I think you should actually create the website and make some SEO to expend your business to wider audience. It does not require huge investments you can use a number of SEO tools designed for website promotion. Feel free to check it.[/SIZE]
Oh, I just found this website word counter that helps a lot in in checking the parameters website. Hope it will be useful for you.

yeah maybe some marketing is need because there are like a million engineering firm in your state !

how much it cost to add an advertising on FB please ?
Even though this is probably a fake account, they brought up a good topic of marketing.

As engineers, we follow a Code of Ethics.

https://www.nspe.org/resources/ethics/code-ethics

Examples of unethical marketing:

https://www.nspe.org/resources/ethics/ethics-resources/board-ethical-review-cases/advertising-engineering-services-2

Back