PE/SE by comity in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wchardin25

Reaction score
I have 10 plus years of qualifying experience in MS. I understand that to be an SE in CA, you have to first have a civil PE in CA. If I apply for a PE license by comity in CA will I still be required to take the CA state specific tests, even if I have passed the national NCEES PE and both parts of the national SE exam. 

I guess my bottom line question is - will CA waive the state specific exam requirements if you have already passed both parts of national 16 hour SE Exam?

I have 10 plus years of qualifying experience in MS. I understand that to be an SE in CA, you have to first have a civil PE in CA. If I apply for a PE license by comity in CA will I still be required to take the CA state specific tests, even if I have passed the national NCEES PE and both parts of the national SE exam. 

I guess my bottom line question is - will CA waive the state specific exam requirements if you have already passed both parts of national 16 hour SE Exam?
Yes, all civil engineer applicants in California must pass the two California Civil exams to qualify for licensure.  If you've passed the current NCEES 16-Hr SE exam and you meet the experience criteria, you can be receive the SE license upon achieving the CE license.

Back