CA LS Exam Technical Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abell8418

Reaction score
I have my Civil license and have submitted an application to take the state LS exam.  I just received an email (8/28/19) that it is in technical review. 

Question 1:  Is there a rule of thumb for how long it should take?  There is no deadline for the LS application as its continuously filed, so i don't know if I will be able to test this October 29th or not.  

Question 2:  If the application is approved, how "soon" does it need to be approved before October 29 so that I could still schedule the test.

I'm wondering if processing the LS application would go quicker than a PE license as there do not seem to be as many test takings for the Surveyors License

@CAPLS, if one is licensed as an LS and has taken the FS and PS in another state, do they need to take the CA surveying exam for the PE?  Also, do civils need to take the seismic if they don't do any structural engineering?  I'm debating whether it is worth my time to seek CA licensure.

@CAPLS, if one is licensed as an LS and has taken the FS and PS in another state, do they need to take the CA surveying exam for the PE?  Also, do civils need to take the seismic if they don't do any structural engineering?  I'm debating whether it is worth my time to seek CA licensure.
All good questions Sapper.  Unfortunately yes, there is currently no provision for a licensed land surveyor that applies for a civil engineer license in California to waive the requirement to pass the Civil Engineering Surveying exam.  Should there be a waiver?  I believe it could be successfully argued that the Board should consider revising the laws for that purpose.  However, any practicing licensed land surveyor should find this exam rather fundamental.

And yes all civil engineer applicants must pass the Civil Seismic Principles exam too as there is no waiver for that.  This exam is in place primarily due to the fact that seismic principles on buildings just is not sufficiently covered in other exams.

anyone hear yet if they are approved to take the exam at the end of October?

Thanks

Any idea when they will?  The test will be coming up quick.
Should be soon.  For the CA PLS exam (for land surveying licensure) which is only offered two days a year, they try and send those notices out about 30 days prior to the actual exam date so approved candidates can schedule with Prometric.

Edit:  If you haven't received notice that your application was approved, you should contact the Board to verify that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back