Dont end up like this guy.. - Page 2 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Dleg

Dont end up like this guy..

I think it was very professionally handled. I was quite impressed by the owners/mods/admins/ quick actions.

Well done.

Guest megoo98

interesting that the state board could prevent him from ever sitting for the exam again. i ddin't know that happened!

general info:

The perp's actions were unethical, of course. Violation of the "agreement" however, is a civil matter. A snippet is not copyright infringement.

But the "gotcha" is that the state board should drop him and fine him according to its policies for unethical behavior. This may include permanent or temporary suspension of his ability to re-apply for PE.

^^^^^That is true. I bet he is very sorry about what he did. The point is he deserves whatever they throw at him. He was warned at the test and when he posted here somobody told him. He ignored it and not only posted once, he posted again at other thread, if I understood what really happened. Bottom line: He got what he derserves. He has two options now. Move on or cry his whole life. Its up to him.

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Jun 26 2007, 10:02 AM)

Well I checked into buying www.engineeringboards.com and some company from china already owns it …..

Did they update the newsletter or am I just special? They had the name in there correctly when I read it.

Also, I don't think their description of the board was bad at all...I'd say it was quite accurate:

The post appeared on www.engineerboards.

com, a Web site created by engineers interested

in sharing advice—as well as some war

stories—with others preparing for the FE and

PE exams.

QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Jul 5 2007, 02:46 PM)

Did they update the newsletter or am I just special? They had the name in there correctly when I read it.

Also, I don't think their description of the board was bad at all...I'd say it was quite accurate:

The post appeared on www.engineerboards.

com, a Web site created by engineers interested

in sharing advice—as well as some war

stories—with others preparing for the FE and

PE exams.

They did fix it. RG scared them. He threatened to send F'tard's lawyers if they did not fix the mistake.

Guest EdinNO

Nice! Good to see that they have us in their newsletter. Sorry to see that a guy got burned for it, but like all said, its his fault.

I'm especially glad / hope that this evidence that the NCEES is serious will disuade people from talking about the questions.

Ed

Well, unless a link to that article is posted permanently in the more public forums (esp. the PE Exam forum - maybe under the pinned Forum Rules topic?), I doubt anyone new will ever see it. The only reason I did was because I was in a severe bout of procrastination - I highly doubt I would have read the June 2007 NCEES "Licensure Review" otherwise. This thread will eventually become buried in the past.

Guest Ange_NYPE

I just read the NCEES article and remember the "Question" very well, it was one that contributed to my "P" grade (Civil/Geotech).

In my opinion, it would easily qualify as one of the simplest questions ever asked on a PE exam, and it is amazing to think that this guy may have scarred his professional career for a very long time over something so basic.

Ange_NYPE

QUOTE (Ange_NYPE @ Jul 6 2007, 02:00 AM)

I just read the NCEES article and remember the "Question" very well, it was one that contributed to my "P" grade (Civil/Geotech).

In my opinion, it would easily qualify as one of the simplest questions ever asked on a PE exam, and it is amazing to think that this guy may have scarred his professional career for a very long time over something so basic.

Ange_NYPE

Simple for you. I had absolutely no idea what that answer was.

Guest Ange_NYPE

Without being too specific, even if you did not know the answer during the exam, any strength of materials text book would have an explanation, one that you could look up on your own and avoid any exposure on a public forum.

Ange_NYPE

You're right. I just looked it up on page XX of my Cheng book. How funny. I actually think I got it right.

Integrity is a word that gets thrown around a lot, but I think you've actually got it here!

I'll try not to multiple post this one, but sometimes my trigger finger is itchy.

bump just to help dissuade anyone considering posting something about the exam.

I was on their website updating my NCEES Record stuff when I found this article. It's a good read.

News

Release: 7-9-2009

dmguirt@ncees.org

Puerto Rican court awards damages to NCEES in exam theft case

The U.S. District Court in Puerto Rico has ruled in favor of NCEES in a civil suit involving damages exceeding $1 million. The judgment resulted from the case of a civil engineering licensure candidate who was found with recording and transmitting equipment during the October 2006 administration of the Principles and Practice of Engineering exam in the city of Mayaguez.

The candidate, Bethzaida Cameron Ortiz, was discovered during the afternoon session of the administration after a proctor noticed her unusual behavior. The chief proctor at the exam site confronted Cameron, 44, and discovered that the defendant was concealing a host of recording and transmitting devices within her jacket and handbag, including a wireless audio/video transmitter, a small video camera, a receiver, a pocket video recorder, a device used to connect video cameras to a television or computer, and battery packs.

Working with materials provided by law enforcement, NCEES determined that Cameron had recorded the Civil PE exam and established that Cameron had performed a similar operation with the FE exam, which records show she attempted in October 2005 at the same location. As a result of these exam breaches, NCEES had to remove all compromised material from its exam item banks, resulting in the damages awarded in the civil suit. In estimating damages, NCEES takes into account the time, travel, and work hours required of NCEES staff, psychometric consultants, and subject-matter experts who are involved with the development and review of exam content.

"Like any organization that develops standardized tests, NCEES's most valuable asset is its intellectual property. When someone steals exam content, the effects are the same for us as they would be for a retail store that has its assets stolen," said NCEES Executive Director Jerry Carter.

NCEES develops and enforces stringent policies to protect exam content, including limiting the materials candidates are allowed to bring to the exam site. Before attempting an NCEES exam, each candidate is required to sign a statement affirming that he or she will not copy or reveal any exam material.

Prior to the judgment in the civil suit, Cameron had been convicted of fraud in criminal court as a result of the incident. She is prohibited from attempting any NCEES exam in the future.

"The fact that we are a nonprofit that assists licensing boards means that this event in some way has affected everyone in the engineering and surveying professions and, ultimately, the public," said Carter. "We are pleased that this judgment was reached and we are confident this will serve as a deterrent for anyone who might consider stealing exam content in the future."

About NCEES

NCEES is a national nonprofit organization composed of engineering and surveying licensing boards representing all U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. An accredited standards developer with the American National Standards Institute, NCEES develops, scores, and administers the examinations used for engineering and surveying licensure throughout the United States. NCEES also provides services facilitating professional mobility for licensed engineers and surveyors. Its headquarters is located in Clemson, S.C.

This exam cycle's bump to dissuade posters from violating the agreement.

Anybody know where I can find a copy of that article, the post is from 2007 and it looks like that link has expired, I did a quick google search and couldn't find it anywhere either.

It looks like it is gone like the sands of time...........

It was a pretty good read.

QUOTE (smithrj40 @ Dec 14 2009, 03:57 PM)

Anybody know where I can find a copy of that article, the post is from 2007 and it looks like that link has expired, I did a quick google search and couldn't find it anywhere either.

To summarize, DON'T ASK QUESTIONS THAT WERE ON THE EXAM! There was a user of this site that posted about a specific question on the exam, basically stating the question word for word. The user posted it in several threads. This site is actively monitored by NCEES, and I, for one, would not want to put passing the exam in jeopardy. The user got in MAJOR trouble with NCEES. I don't remember the specifics of the case.

It was available recently, I wonder if the link went dead when they rebooted their site.

Basically what happened was some dope posted nearly verbatim a question off the civil exam, and posted it into several forums. I think he even said something like "I know I shouldn't be doing this but I just need to know the answer..."

Tim@NCEES, as well as other concerned members, notified us. The post was removed, and I believe IP and registration info of the dumbass in question were passed onto to NCEES.

The person's results were nullified, and there may have been other sanctions.

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Dec 15 2009, 11:33 AM)

It was available recently, I wonder if the link went dead when they rebooted their site.

Basically what happened was some dope posted nearly verbatim a question off the civil exam, and posted it into several forums. I think he even said something like "I know I shouldn't be doing this but I just need to know the answer..."

Tim@NCEES, as well as other concerned members, notified us. The post was removed, and I believe IP and registration info of the dumbass in question were passed onto to NCEES.

The person's results were nullified, and there may have been other sanctions.

You forgot about how he got on here and said I had no balls since I removed his posts. biggrin.gif

What I don't get is why the NCEES recycles questions. The questions themselves on the test are not that tricky or unusual. As many times as some people take the test it would seem they possibly have seen a majority of the questions. Would it not be easier to keep the test secure to just write a new test each time? I took a class in college where the teacher used the same test over and over again. He graded it, showed to the students, then took it back up. One semester nearly the entire class scored a hundred. It is impossible to keep an exam secure if you keep using the same questions.

QUOTE (mwchandler21 @ Apr 22 2010, 09:41 PM)

What I don't get is why the NCEES recycles questions. The questions themselves on the test are not that tricky or unusual. As many times as some people take the test it would seem they possibly have seen a majority of the questions. Would it not be easier to keep the test secure to just write a new test each time? I took a class in college where the teacher used the same test over and over again. He graded it, showed to the students, then took it back up. One semester nearly the entire class scored a hundred. It is impossible to keep an exam secure if you keep using the same questions.

Good Lord, it's enough for them to get the tests graded as it is. Developing questions would take even more valuable time, plus they have to recruit volunteers to write the questions and test them out. I believe they have a large pool of questions so the likelihood somebody will take the test enough times to see a majority of them is pretty slim.

Plus, maybe people could just follow the rules.