Interview an Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromechris

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am starting my education on civil engineering. I was previously majoring in Computer Science, but took a bigger interest in civil engineering. I've worked in the physical labor work of construction, specifically in the construction of post-tension slabs. I love the fact of being able to have a vision of a certain civil structure, and being able to clearly define the safety aspects of it, and finally building the structure, knowing that it will be safe and stable, and last for a very long time. For one of my classes, I need to interview a civil engineer. I don't personally know any, so I would greatly appreciate if any of you could answer just very few questions in regards to your career as a civil engineer.

How did you become interested in engineering?
What engineering projects have you worked on? Which was your favorite?
What advice do you have for someone interested in engineering?

How did you become interested in engineering? My dad was an engineer, but I started in architecture. I loved my structures classes and solving the problems more than creating them, so I shifted during Grad School. 
What engineering projects have you worked on? Which was your favorite? Schools, Libraries, Correctional Facilities, High End Residences, Religious Facilities, Recreational Facilities. I really love the schools because they directly impact our youth/future and get lots of use, and I also love the private residences because you're helping create someone's home, and they come with some pretty intricate design challenges.
What advice do you have for someone interested in engineering? Keep with it. It's a difficult path, but if you're passionate, just keep on keeping on.

Back