Cramming for October 2019 PE Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby-Wan

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! In the past month of PE Power exam prep, I've come across these boards several times. I'm about 75% through  my first review of Graffeo, and trying to put together the rest of my prep materials, so I figured I would register here and see what everyone else is up to. So, howdy from Louisiana!

Howdy and good luck! Keep doing problems over and over again. Don't get too hung up on theory. Getting the questions done in a timely manner is just as important as soaking up knowledge.

Welcome to the boards. I'm also from Louisiana (New Orleans). You taking the exam in New Orleans or Baton Rouge? I've heard the Baton Rouge setup is much nicer.

Don't go to Nola. They crammed 120 plus people in this low ceiling split classroom based room. The desk were stacked so close that if you wanted to get out to use the restroom; you would be moving people books to get out. That's how close it was. 

Baton Rouge got it right. If there are a lot people taking the test, they will put you in another room. 

I took the Oct 2018 PE exam in New Orleans. I didn't find it to be that bad. We were in a large room (pretty high ceilings) at the Pontchartrain Center. Two people shared a 8 foot long table, so each person had half of the table. And there was enough space between the tables to pass. I could imaging that it could get cramped depending on the number of people they tried to squeeze into the room, but we had ample space. 

The issue that I had was that the instructions that came with your admission ticket said no food was allowed to be brought in to the Pontchartrain Center, and that the concession stand would be open. But the concession stand WASN'T open, and the proctors DID allow snacks, but I didn't bring any because I was trying to follow the rules. There was no clock, so you had to bring your own watch (no smartwatches or fitbit). That's crazy to me that there's no clock on the wall.

All that being said, I've still heard that Baton Rouge is a better setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Oct 2018 PE exam in New Orleans. I didn't find it to be that bad. We were in a large room (pretty high ceilings) at the Pontchartrain Center. Two people shared a 8 foot long table, so each person had half of the table. And there was enough space between the tables to pass. I could imaging that it could get cramped depending on the number of people they tried to squeeze into the room, but we had ample space. 

The issue that I had was that the instructions that came with your admission ticket said no food was allowed to be brought in to the Pontchartrain Center, and that the concession stand would be open. But the concession stand WASN'T open, and the proctors DID allow snacks, but I didn't bring any because I was trying to follow the rules. There was no clock, so you had to bring your own watch (no smartwatches or fitbit). That's crazy to me that there's no clock on the wall.

All that being said, I've still heard that Baton Rouge is a better setup.
Oh you were in that other room. There is a room to the right once you go in and that's the smaller rooms. The big gymnasium style room wasn't available that time. 

Howdy and good luck! 

I was where you are a couple years back. The last month.  Such a roller coaster of confidence, doubt, questions, concerns, triumph, and bad days. I wrote up my experience/method here. You may find it useful to read through if you are trying to gather/structure your prep materials/resources. I think it was right around this time that I was google, searching, and trying to close gaps in my knowledge. I found some additional materials and this point and really used my  last few weeks successfully. 

Best of luck!

Back