2012 SEAOC Seismic manual difference to 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabeSE

Reaction score
Can someone who has reviewed both point out to difference between 2 manuals. Obviously the latest is based off 2015 IBC so I shouldn't just be using the formula but checking the equivalent 2015 version.

Are they very different that I should buy 2015 version for the exam?

I work in Texas and will probably not use these books in practice. I only have 2012 that someone let me borrow. I do have vol1 to vol5.

I personally think the most useful one is vol 1. 

For steel 2012 hasn't changed so you're good there.  For bricks I'd say the CMA book from the other thread is light years ahead of the other possible resources... Especially the MDG that thing is only good for dropping on bugs.  For wood the Breyer text book is hands down (imo) the best option there, I'd buy that and a subscription to the chegg website where you can get homework solutions and just grind problems.  Concrete is a toss up between the CRSI Low Rise guide (organized by SDC which is just super useful)... I also like SP(17)-14 Vol 1 and Vol 2 from ACI ... They're functionally equivalent to the old PCA notes books.  Which as an aside I still like PCA notes for ACI-11 as a reference and just print out the ACI 318-11 to ACI-14 provision mapping table and update as required.

Now don't get me wrong I do own the SEAOC books but if I have to make Sophie's choice and cut something from the reference pool it'll be those (sans vol 1).   I think their examples are a bit too in depth and there isn't enough of them.

Good luck with your studies.

thanks T,

Can you comment on my references.. what are the must have that I don't have.. i feel i lack vertical and lateral concrete book for afternoon

I enrolled in PPI2PASS on demand video course for 3 months.

1. SERM - 9th edition

2. SE Building Practice Exam - 5th edition

3.Bridge Problems by Connor

4.Design of Reinforced Masonry - CMACN

5.Design Wood Structures - Breyer 6th ( I only have 6th edition not the latest 7th ed. I don't do Wood design at work. Should I invest in 7th for the exam?)

6.SEAOC Vol 1 to 5 - 12 ed

7.SP17 vol 1 and 2 - ACI

8.NCEES SE Practice Exam

I haven't taken the test yet, let's be clear lol ... Just giving you some ideas.  But your lineup is solid I'd suggest this for concrete --

http://resources.crsi.org/resources/design-and-detailing-of-low-rise-reinforced-concrete-buildings1/

As far as Breyer goes I wouldn't worry too much about the latest version, BUT I'd download the American Wood Council...they have many on their website ... You don't need them all just get one or two of the newer ones covering the Shear walls / Diaphragms.  

PPI course will be helpful.  I'm in the EET course now and it's outstanding so far so I'm sure yours will be good as well.  

I'm a bit of an over preparer so I'll have stuff that I won't bring eventually.  But since I started studying I have learned one thing working problems and doing them over and over is the best practice.  Not necessarily a guide per se.

I have my Hibbler structural analysis book that I use to work problems out of to stay sharp on moment dist, slope deflection, conjugate beam and so on.  Same with Wight (concrete) and Geschwinder / Salmon & Johnson / or whatever steel book you prefer.

There is an ICC book I'd suggest there covers loads and in my opinion is the best companion for ASCE 7, it's called Structural Loads from ICC NCSEA.

Good luck and just keep working problems. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back