Stormwater modeling is important but Geotech is Importantor..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
This is in between Denver and Boulder. Curious to what the final conclusion on the cause will be.  Also I placed this into the "glad I didn't work on this one" column...

US 36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be surprised if this doesn't shut down both directions of the highway soon.....

It looks like the collapse is getting worse. I'm surprised they're still letting cars drive on the other side of the road.

Well CDOT does have a US History Major running the department.......

& yeah I realize that individual probably isn't making the important decision but if you saw this person on the news, well just lol...

"A situation like this is not unheard of –, especially for longtime Colorado residents.

The evening of Aug. 2, 1985, two Burlington Northern trains collided head-on beneath a U.S. 36 overpass near the same spot that's collapsing today, igniting a fireball that could be seen for miles and heavily damaging a bridge then carrying 37,000 vehicles a day."

Cripes. That was a stretch to get people to click on an article from last year about a wreck from 35 years ago that WAS TWO TRAINS AND NOT THE SAME THING. 

Lots of news media and social media comments of the "this is what you get with low bid" variety,  I don't chime in but this was a Design Build Contract (best Value Not Low Bid), which was later rolled into a DBFOM (Design Build Finance Operate Maintain) contract.

So the taxpayers shouldn't be paying for any of the repairs (Assuming there isn't an RFI out there where the owner relieved the concessionaire from Global Stability, or made some other decision which transferred risk - but hopefully not)

Lots of news media and social media comments of the "this is what you get with low bid" variety,  I don't chime in but this was a Design Build Contract (best Value Not Low Bid), which was later rolled into a DBFOM (Design Build Finance Operate Maintain) contract.

So the taxpayers shouldn't be paying for any of the repairs (Assuming there isn't an RFI out there where the owner relieved the concessionaire from Global Stability, or made some other decision witch transferred risk - but hopefully not)
But this would be a kind of amazing social media comment. 

yeah I am just a little too close to some people working on this if you catch my drift (don't need to be in the comment section) :D

Cripes. That was a stretch to get people to click on an article from last year about a wreck from 35 years ago that WAS TWO TRAINS AND NOT THE SAME THING.
You do what you have to when you get paid per 1000 clicks.

Back