PE Exam: Water Resources vs Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom5876

Reaction score
I'm currently debating which PE Exam to take. My options are Water Resources & Environmental or Construction.

I am not very strong in the environmental section of the water resources exam but I am fairly strong in the other parts of the exam. Has anyone taken the WRE exam in a similar situation and if so what study material did you use to prepare for the Environmental Section? 

Also to add I will likely be working in construction but my undergrad was focused mainly on Civil Engineering courses so I would also need a pretty thorough study program to make sure I cover all the material required. ( If anyone did the construction exam and has input/recommendation on how to study it would be appreciated)

If anyone has recommendations for resources I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like construction might be a better fit if that's your long time goal. It might be worth buying a practice exam for both and take them without studying. That might give you a better feel for how much you need to learn for either.

I took the WRE test even though I was quite raw when it came to the Water-Wastewater section of the PM section. 

My career is more drainage design and basic water/waste/lift station design but not touching the treatment of water/wastewater.

I just loaded up on a lot of practice tests to soak in as many questions as I could for those two sections. 

http://engineerboards.com/topic/12061-of-hours-of-study-prep/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-7558925

To be honest, didn't feel to confident on those sections post test, but I felt confident I aced the AM and did well on the Hydraulics/Hydrology sections in the PM. 

Back