Anyone else having problems with NYS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyG

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems getting their license number from NYS?  I called as soon as I found out I passed the PE exam and was told 4-8 weeks.  Well it's 6 weeks and nothing.  So I called again today and they are now telling me I should have gotten an email because I applied many years ago and have a paper file and need to resubmit Form 1.  I started getting annoyed because I never received an email and then she goes on to say that since it's a paper file they don't have my email, that I should have called.  I did call.  No one knows the meaning of customer service anymore.  I find this completely unacceptable on NYS's part.  

Anyone else have this issue?  Did you find a way to move the application along more quickly?

Anyone else having problems getting their license number from NYS?  I called as soon as I found out I passed the PE exam and was told 4-8 weeks.  Well it's 6 weeks and nothing.  So I called again today and they are now telling me I should have gotten an email because I applied many years ago and have a paper file and need to resubmit Form 1.  I started getting annoyed because I never received an email and then she goes on to say that since it's a paper file they don't have my email, that I should have called.  I did call.  No one knows the meaning of customer service anymore.  I find this completely unacceptable on NYS's part.  

Anyone else have this issue?  Did you find a way to move the application along more quickly?
We've been discussing this on another thread, join us!

I also called last week and was told that I need to wait 6-8 weeks. I sent an email yesterday about the status of my Lucense but haven't gotten a response. Been checking the license issued and, like previously said, they issued 1 license per day. Customer service seems to be non existent.

Situation Normal: All F$%^ed Up

These forums are littered with threads complaining about NY's inaction on issuing licensees and processing applications. License by comity has been known to take over a 18 months... at which point they just respond "no".

Situation Normal: All F$%^ed Up

These forums are littered with threads complaining about NY's inaction on issuing licensees and processing applications. License by comity has been known to take over a 18 months... at which point they just respond "no".
Man, one guy says he has been waiting over a year to get his license. Another guy said that he didn't have enough engineering experience. Others complaining about lost paperwork. I'm concerned about reaching out and getting penalized for it.

Man, one guy says he has been waiting over a year to get his license. Another guy said that he didn't have enough engineering experience. Others complaining about lost paperwork. I'm concerned about reaching out and getting penalized for it.
The whole thing doesn't make any sense. If you took and passed the PE in NYS and they approved your application initially then I don't see an issue. Just have to play the waiting game. It seems more risky if you apply to NYS by comity. Longer wait and potential denial.

Why would you be penalized for reaching out?

The whole thing doesn't make any sense. If you took and passed the PE in NYS and they approved your application initially then I don't see an issue. Just have to play the waiting game. It seems more risky if you apply to NYS by comity. Longer wait and potential denial.

Why would you be penalized for reaching out?
That's the impression I'm under. If I'm sitting for the PE in NYS it's because all my paperwork has been checked off.

They said 4-8 weeks, and they have another ~2 weeks remaining, so don't get angry yet. Some people do get their licences processed in that time. If you haven't noticed from the above threads, I tend to post the exact same advice after that the prescribed "wait" period ends.

Probably shouldn't pester them too much in the next couple weeks; calling them only serves to slow the process down for everyone. Of course, if you absolutely need the license now for some imminent financial reason, then maybe you have a reason to make some calls. 

Back