2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akwooly

Has gone PRO
Reaction score
Anyone else following the World Cup?  I never thought I would be this interested in women's soccer but there have been some really good games so far in pool play. USA is out to defend their title!

Caught a few highlights so far. There are ads for it going all over the place here, kinda hard to miss it.

USA  VS. Thailand was on TV at work today. Pretty brutal to watch. (13 - 0 ) USA, for those too lazy to look up. @akwooly. I'll probably loosely follow it.

US will def need to tighten up their game a little bit for some of the better teams (said Roarbark the rec league soccer player), but had some really great moments.

I wasn't able to watch it. 13-0? TD and two FGs, or 2TDs with missed PAT?

sarcasm aside, I presume one of the tiebreakers in the early rounds in goals scored?

Anyone else following the World Cup?  I never thought I would be this interested in women's soccer but there have been some really good games so far in pool play. USA is out to defend their title!
My 11 y/o and i will follow it. 

I wasn't able to watch it. 13-0? TD and two FGs, or 2TDs with missed PAT?

sarcasm aside, I presume one of the tiebreakers in the early rounds in goals scored?
Yeah, this is typical. I believe Germany's Men brutalized American Samoa 10-0 the year they won too. 

I was really impressed with Argentina's draw against Japan earning them their first Women's world cup point.

I've been following it loosely. The timing hasn't been working out great for me this week. I did catch a bit of the England - Scotland game on Sunday, but that's about it.

I'm fairly liberal but sometimes it's a bit extreme.  Here's a good example of that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/opinion/womens-world-cup-2019-usa.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage#commentsContainer

Arguing the US goal scoring and celebration of it was over the top is ridiculous.  You're willingly participating in a competitive sport, in the most significant tournament on the global stage.  All goals are meaningful but particularly those in the WC.  From a tournament standpoint, if the US has to rely on goal difference to move forward, this obviously would be a huge boost.  

I have no issue with the number of goals scored. Goal differential is a part of the system, so they need to score as many as possible.

What some are taking exception to is the fact that they were celebrating goal #13 like it was the game winner.  Honestly, once the score is 4-0, anything above that really doesn't warrant more than a couple high-fives and run back to kick off again. And I would say this regardless of gender. This isn't some "women should have more class than men" ****. This is sportsmanship. More of an "act like you've been there" type of humility, especially from the defending champs.

That being said, I'd probably be celebrating if I was on the field too (but I'm also not a pro).

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to the USA-Chile game in Paris on Father's Day. My 11 year old and 6 year old loved it, as did I. Mrs. Buff was ambivalent about it before going, then once we got there, she was all about it as well. The only thing that I didn't like was that they do not sell alcoholic beverages inside the stadium (no beer, boo!), but I guess that's a good thing, after the shenanigans that I have seen on YouTube at other Eurpoean soccer matches. We are now religiously following the team in the Buff house.

The US came out pretty flat against Spain.  We were fortunate to get those two PKs...I don't think we would have won that match without them.

Wow, congrats USWNT!

What a game. England could have equalized multiple times. But VAR actually worked correctly on taking back that second England goal, and they totally bungled that penalty shot. Regardless, I'm very happy for Naeher for getting that save on such a huge save!

I'm excited for Sunday's match. GO USWNT!

Back