I Give Up

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Graduated BSME in 2009, tried thermal and fluids 4x and failed. Now giving up my dream on becoming a PE, I do not think I could change anything else on my preparation. Family had fully supported me, wife and kid. Took Dr. Tom Classroom but material did not work for me, way too different from actual exam questions. I have now accepted that PE is not for me. Thanks for all the ideas from this board. All the best to all.

Hate to hear this.  If you are, in fact, truly done, I wish you well in any of your future endeavors.  If you decide to come back to this after some time away, I'm confident a renewed look at the material can get you there.

All the best!

There are other ways to expand your knowledge and your career. Look into getting a Master's degree. I'm finding that some of the people working to obtain their MS in their desired field are mixing in PE prep and doing really well since they are diving into the details in their academic program. You can also look into non-engineer related certificate programs like the PMP and Six Sigma. These may be helpful to you as well. Good luck with your future plans. Don't be so hard on yourself. There are many roads to Rome and what works for one may not work for you. 

Its your decision but I think you can try one last time as I have seen people clearing exam in their 6th or 7th attempt.

I am not from Mechanical field but will genuinely want you to try a new PE prep course like EET etc. for one last time as I have seen the time one feels to give up is the time you should not give up as success might be just one exam away from you but you will never experience it if you quit now.

Just give it a thought!

All the best!!!

Its your decision but I think you can try one last time as I have seen people clearing exam in their 6th or 7th attempt.

I am not from Mechanical field but will genuinely want you to try a new PE prep course like EET etc. for one last time as I have seen the time one feels to give up is the time you should not give up as success might be just one exam away from you but you will never experience it if you quit now.

Just give it a thought!

All the best!!!
Also if you eventually give up, all your past input and family support will all gone...

Most of us here are all reasonable persons, so believe in yourself. Maybe you should only try new prep material. 

Graduated BSME in 2009, tried thermal and fluids 4x and failed. Now giving up my dream on becoming a PE, I do not think I could change anything else on my preparation. Family had fully supported me, wife and kid. Took Dr. Tom Classroom but material did not work for me, way too different from actual exam questions. I have now accepted that PE is not for me. Thanks for all the ideas from this board. All the best to all.
Let the dust settle. If you have an engineering degree, I don't believe there is such a thing as NOT being able to pass. Your approach needs tweaking, from an emotional standpoint or technical. I don't know how the Mechanical PE is structured, but there is always a way. I took Dr. Tom's for civil. Didn't work for me either. But let me say this, when I mastered the material, and this was before I officially passed the exam. I went back to each binder I had previously studied and found that in fact the material was there. And it was just as clear as other current material I was using for the exam when I actually passed it. I'm not saying this is your case, but I'm saying chill out and just float in the water a bit. The answers are in front of you and it may be you just forgot to figure which ones are definitely NOT the right answer. When you do, the odds improve greatly in your favor. Hope this helps and I do not think you should give up. PE in my opinion is the ultimate status for design engineering. If its what you do, you'll get it. 

IMO maybe take just relax in regards to taking the exam this October and shoot for next April. But I wouldn't give up.

Clear your head of all the frustration and stress over the past exams and change up your study habits. 

Is there another class for your field that has good reviews on here, or elsewhere? 

I can't help per say being in another field of engineering, but I took a class where the problems and practice tests they gave out for the PM section had extreme variables or super complex steps. If I had just worked on those problems, I know I wouldn't of passed the exam cause they weren't relevant problems to what was actually on the exam. They made me freak out about finding some obscure equation only found in some book(probably written by the same author) or the steps weren't clear at all how they concluded that you needed to use a certain equation. 

I went through something similar with the PMP. I sat for it twice without really preparing the way I should. I was too stressed out, focused on the pressure to pass rather than relaxing and just studying the information. @john813 makes a good point. It actually served me well to walk away, do something else for a few years and then come back when I was in a different mental space. My motivation was different and I was more mentally mature about the whole thing. I'm sure there's a better way to put this, but I felt like the time away fixed me and sharpened my perspective. It might work for you too @Failed_Thermal&Fluids_4x

I went through something similar with the PMP. I sat for it twice without really preparing the way I should. I was too stressed out, focused on the pressure to pass rather than relaxing and just studying the information. @john813 makes a good point. It actually served me well to walk away, do something else for a few years and then come back when I was in a different mental space. My motivation was different and I was more mentally mature about the whole thing. I'm sure there's a better way to put this, but I felt like the time away fixed me and sharpened my perspective. It might work for you too @Failed_Thermal&Fluids_4x
I have gone through PMP as well, the course I subscribed had a teacher saying my goal is to help you pass not to study...lol...

Back