SCIENCE courses counting as ENGINEERING, any successes?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonecrawfishin

Reaction score
I am already licensed (yay NY! Took the Power exam last fall), though I'm realizing there are some states that don't recognize work experience-based paths to PE licensure. I am Physics BS with Mechanical Engineering MS. Has anybody had success getting any of their more applied SCIENCE courses (example optics and wave motion? biophysics? electromagnetism?) in their PHYSICS department to count as ENGINEERING courses in the NCEES Engineering Education Evaluation? I'm in if they'll accept a few courses from the Physics or Computer Science Departments of a Liberal Arts School, which literally shares a building with the Engineering School... I don't even need to double count courses, I was in school for quite a while and I've taken loads of technical courses. I've only got about 36 credit hours that are definitively "engineering", though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as it turns out NCEES was really helpful in a. confirming that under no circumstances will a physics class in a liberal arts school count towards the "engineering" credit, but b. they confirmed that in order to supplement your courses, you can take classes and they do not have to be through a degree-seeking program of study. For supplementing "engineering" credit, they do have to be courses offered as a part of an ABET/EAC undergrad or graduate program (unlikely that classes in a 2yr tech school would count), you just don't need to get a whole new degree. So, in case anyone finds themselves in my boat, there it is. For now, I'll be avoiding Ohio, NJ, Florida, and probably a few more that don't recognize work experience as a supplement to university education. 

I would have thought this would have been at the discretion of your state board, and not up to NCEES.

Back