PE Application - CA-Seismic/Survey Exams - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
JClanton

PE Application

Recommended Posts

I have a few random questions about the PE application for California.

First off, I passed the 8-hour national exam in October of 2018. In California they've recently changed the rules so that you're able to take the national exam before you obtain your experience needed to become a PE. However, you must have passed your national exam before you can take the state specific Seismic and Surveying tests, or submit your application. I'll attach the relevant parts of the application to this.

 

Am I supposed to submit my application before I sign up to take the state specific exams?

Within the application, it has an option to mark California Sesimic Principles Exam: $150 and California Engineering Surveying Exam: $150. When I submit my application, will I send money for these two tests at that time? Shouldn't I be paying through the NCEES website? Basically, will I be sending a check for just the $125 application fee, or will I be sending $425 for both tests and the application fee?

Another requirement is to provide a license and/or exam verification. When I look at the NCEES website, it says not to send verified license/exam history until a board has specifically asked for it. Should I wait until they ask for it, or just submit it now and know that they'll receive that and my application separately?

When I took my FE (EIT) exam a few years ago, I had to get finger-printed, and I still have a few live scan forms from that time. Finger-printing is also required for this application. Am I able to just re-submit a form from the FE? Or will I have to get another form signed by getting another live scan?

On the application, it has a box to check for "a complete NCEES Council Record has been ordered". What is this for? In my situation, would I check this box? It doesn't sound like I need to but I'm not entirely sure what this is referring to.

On section 2 of the application, it has a place to list your engagements (a.k.a. references). On the far right, it has a location to list the "branch" of your reference. What is this referring to? 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JClanton said:

I have a few random questions about the PE application for California.

First off, I passed the 8-hour national exam in October of 2018. In California they've recently changed the rules so that you're able to take the national exam before you obtain your experience needed to become a PE. However, you must have passed your national exam before you can take the state specific Seismic and Surveying tests, or submit your application. I'll attach the relevant parts of the application to this.

 

Am I supposed to submit my application before I sign up to take the state specific exams?

Yes, that is the only way you can take the state exams. You will be eligible to take the state specific exams only once your application has been approved by the board. 

Within the application, it has an option to mark California Sesimic Principles Exam: $150 and California Engineering Surveying Exam: $150. When I submit my application, will I send money for these two tests at that time? Shouldn't I be paying through the NCEES website? Basically, will I be sending a check for just the $125 application fee, or will I be sending $425 for both tests and the application fee?

The state specific exams are administered by the BPELSG (Board) and not NCEES. Turn in the application with all 3 checked (application fee and the two exam fees) and include a check/money order worth $425. Make sure you turn in everything else that the application requires (preferably in one mail) to facilitate efficient and fast approval.  

Another requirement is to provide a license and/or exam verification. When I look at the NCEES website, it says not to send verified license/exam history until a board has specifically asked for it. Should I wait until they ask for it, or just submit it now and know that they'll receive that and my application separately?

I'm not sure what you're referring to here exactly. Can you elaborate? If you have passed the national exam, as far as I know, you're done with NCEES. 

When I took my FE (EIT) exam a few years ago, I had to get finger-printed, and I still have a few live scan forms from that time. Finger-printing is also required for this application. Am I able to just re-submit a form from the FE? Or will I have to get another form signed by getting another live scan?

Sorry, no idea. 

On the application, it has a box to check for "a complete NCEES Council Record has been ordered". What is this for? In my situation, would I check this box? It doesn't sound like I need to but I'm not entirely sure what this is referring to.

Not sure myself. I left it unchecked and no one asked me about it. 

On section 2 of the application, it has a place to list your engagements (a.k.a. references). On the far right, it has a location to list the "branch" of your reference. What is this referring to? 

I think branch refers to the civil discipline here. Example: Structural, Transportation, Water, etc. 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

 

Edited by Orca2552_PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orca2552_PE said:

 

A few clarifications in addition to what Orca2552_PE provided:

If you have previously passed any national NCEES exam, yes you should request that a verification form be sent to the California Board.

If you submitted your fingerprints previously with the EIT application to the California Board, you do not need to do it again.

NCEES Record (formally known as Council Record) - If you had one, you would know what it is for.  If you don't, don't worry about it.  Its not required by the California Board.

Branch (or discipline) of engineering - California is one of approximately 10-12 states that licenses engineers by discipline.  Your references must be licensed in the discipline for which you are applying for, or at a minimum, authorized to practice that discipline of engineering where the claimed experience occurred.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, CAPLS said:

A few clarifications in addition to what Orca2552_PE provided:

If you have previously passed any national NCEES exam, yes you should request that a verification form be sent to the California Board.

If you submitted your fingerprints previously with the EIT application to the California Board, you do not need to do it again.

NCEES Record (formally known as Council Record) - If you had one, you would know what it is for.  If you don't, don't worry about it.  Its not required by the California Board.

Branch (or discipline) of engineering - California is one of approximately 10-12 states that licenses engineers by discipline.  Your references must be licensed in the discipline for which you are applying for, or at a minimum, authorized to practice that discipline of engineering where the claimed experience occurred.

What if I accidentally checked the "NCEES Record" box but I don't actully have one? Would it affect my application?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FYLJY said:

What if I accidentally checked the "NCEES Record" box but I don't actully have one? Would it affect my application?

Not really, though I would recommend that you contact the board to let them know this so it doesn't delay their review while they (think) they are waiting on that.  Use the following based on the first letter of your last name to email them.

A-G
BPELSG.Evaluator1@dca.ca.gov
H-O
BPELSG.Evaluator2@dca.ca.gov
P-Z
BPELSG.Evaluator3@dca.ca.gov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CAPLS said:

Not really, though I would recommend that you contact the board to let them know this so it doesn't delay their review while they (think) they are waiting on that.  Use the following based on the first letter of your last name to email them.

A-G
BPELSG.Evaluator1@dca.ca.gov
H-O
BPELSG.Evaluator2@dca.ca.gov
P-Z
BPELSG.Evaluator3@dca.ca.gov

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, CAPLS said:

A few clarifications in addition to what Orca2552_PE provided:

If you have previously passed any national NCEES exam, yes you should request that a verification form be sent to the California Board.

If you submitted your fingerprints previously with the EIT application to the California Board, you do not need to do it again.

NCEES Record (formally known as Council Record) - If you had one, you would know what it is for.  If you don't, don't worry about it.  Its not required by the California Board.

Branch (or discipline) of engineering - California is one of approximately 10-12 states that licenses engineers by discipline.  Your references must be licensed in the discipline for which you are applying for, or at a minimum, authorized to practice that discipline of engineering where the claimed experience occurred.

I've heard that the NCEES record is for showing that you've sent exam/license verification through the NCEES website. Is that not the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JClanton said:

I've heard that the NCEES record is for showing that you've sent exam/license verification through the NCEES website. Is that not the case?

Well, as the NCEES Record process has evolved, the Record does include exam verification as you can see at this link https://ncees.org/records/

But, the Record is far more that just an exam verification and most applicants to licensing boards don't have a Record.  so, there is a seperate exam verification request that is available for just that purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...