TX PE to CA by Comity (Application Question)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z PE

Reaction score
I am applying to become a PE in California through Comity. I have read in the instructions that it is not necessary to provide the Engagement Record and Reference Form with an application by Comity, however it is suggested that I do so. That's pretty ambiguous. 

To be 100% sure I should obviously just fill out the forms and ask my references to sign the forms again. But, this would be the third goddamn time I've had to ask this favor. I worked at a small engineering firm and my references were primarily contract consultants that I worked with on a project or two. Now 4-5 years later it's getting a little ridiculous to keep going back to them and asking them to recall the stuff we worked on. The first time I asked this favor was for my TX PE in 2016 and then I just had to ask again so I could complete the NCEES Multi-State Licensure Verification Form. I started my own consulting company and the only other PE's I've worked with since then are state regulators so it's not an appropriate ask. 

What should I do? Suck it up and fly back to Texas for a few lunches to catch up with these old work colleagues, or risk it and don't include the Engagement Form? 

Anecdotal evidence encouraged!

If the rules don’t explicitly state that you have to submit engagement forms, I would go without.  The curmudgeon in me feels that doing so would defeat the purpose of the most beneficial part of creating a  NCEES record.

I am applying to become a PE in California through Comity. I have read in the instructions that it is not necessary to provide the Engagement Record and Reference Form with an application by Comity, however it is suggested that I do so. That's pretty ambiguous. 

To be 100% sure I should obviously just fill out the forms and ask my references to sign the forms again. But, this would be the third goddamn time I've had to ask this favor. I worked at a small engineering firm and my references were primarily contract consultants that I worked with on a project or two. Now 4-5 years later it's getting a little ridiculous to keep going back to them and asking them to recall the stuff we worked on. The first time I asked this favor was for my TX PE in 2016 and then I just had to ask again so I could complete the NCEES Multi-State Licensure Verification Form. I started my own consulting company and the only other PE's I've worked with since then are state regulators so it's not an appropriate ask. 

What should I do? Suck it up and fly back to Texas for a few lunches to catch up with these old work colleagues, or risk it and don't include the Engagement Form? 

Anecdotal evidence encouraged!
The NCEES Record is designed and was "homogenized" to meet the needs of many engineering licensing boards.  However, due to having to meet the needs of many, there is inevitably some tradeoffs that occur when meeting the licensing requirements of some states.  While California can be considered as having the least stringent criteria for engineering licensure in the USA, there are some aspects that are just not satisfied by the NCEES Record.  (I.e., most states allow unlicensed individuals to serve as professional references - California does not)

This is a very short and simple explanation for why the instructions provide the suggestions that they do. 

Something to consider...would you rather submit the minimum, wait for review, and then be told you need to submit additional information...thereby lengthening the timeline?  Or would you rather take the advice and tips upfront from the board that is tasked with reviewing your application in the hopes that your timeline is shortened?  Your choice.

^^^ Listen to him.  Not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back