What’s next for you?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FromThisSoil

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
My goal was to go back to school, get my degree, pass the FE, and become a PE within 10 years. I am now done with my “10 year plan”, and as happy as I am about it, I feel like I should set a new 10 year plan.

What’s next for you?

My goal was to go back to school, get my degree, pass the FE, and become a PE within 10 years. I am now done with my “10 year plan”, and as happy as I am about it, I feel like I should set a new 10 year plan.

What’s next for you?
Enjoy Life a little bit haha you’ve earned it. You’ve accomplished something great so let yourself breathe a bit!! Then maybe pick up a hobby?

What’s next for you?
Congrats! Coincidentally this is also my 10th year since going back to Community College after dropping out of school.

For me, PMP is next. Maybe MBA if company pays for it. But my main focus is now on family more than career.

One thing to include in your plan for sure is to ensure you come back at least 20 times to troll others.

I still have a couple years to go on the experience train before I can get my license (yay for Alabama decoupling).  I am at my last day with my current company in manufacturing and I am switching over to a large EPC firm, where I will have a lot more mentors and challenges to help me learn.  I am really looking forward to the transition.  So moving tomorrow, new job Monday, and then just enjoying my work and family.  It will be nice to have my evenings back to being chill time.

What’s next for you?
I told myself I would get my PE and then be done... I feel surprisingly discontent though.

Graduating with my Masters in June. For now, just relaxing and enjoying time with my family and friends. Will go for my PMP before year's end. After that, maybe (big maybe) go for my SSBB. Would go for PhD if someone pays for it.

Graduating with my Masters in June. For now, just relaxing and enjoying time with my family and friends. Will go for my PMP before year's end. After that, maybe (big maybe) go for my SSBB. Would go for PhD if someone pays for it.
PMP is likely my next step too.  Congrats on your Masters!

PMP is likely my next step too.  Congrats on your Masters!
Thanks! 

Honestly, a very, VERY small part of me wants to go back and take either the civil or electrical PE exams, dependent on whether I go to a structural or automation/systems career route, respectively. Most of my experience is in electromechanical design and large machine structures.

My wife and I decided that I have 2 more years to finish my heavy duty career prep, so I'm trying to fit in as much as possible before then lol

Thanks! 

Honestly, a very, VERY small part of me wants to go back and take either the civil or electrical PE exams, dependent on whether I go to a structural or automation/systems career route, respectively. Most of my experience is in electromechanical design and large machine structures.

My wife and I decided that I have 2 more years to finish my heavy duty career prep, so I'm trying to fit in as much as possible before then lol
I've thought about taking the Power PE Exam.  I took and passed the TFS exam because that's what I went to school for but I've actually spent the last 4+ years working for an Electrical Substation Engineering OEC contractor.  

I've thought about taking the Power PE Exam.  I took and passed the TFS exam because that's what I went to school for but I've actually spent the last 4+ years working for an Electrical Substation Engineering OEC contractor.  
Yeah, I'd like to do power as well, or electronics (if I'm actually well versed enough to perform; I haven't checked the test scope). Speaking of, getting my Certified Automation Professional (CAP) may be on my list, depending on how the next few months go.

I told myself I would get my PE and then be done... I feel surprisingly discontent though.
This is me.

Congratulations. I’ve considered PhD, but like you said...if someone else pays for it. Current place of work is not going to do that.

This is me.

Congratulations. I’ve considered PhD, but like you said...if someone else pays for it. Current place of work is not going to do that.
I'm in the exact same situation. In that regards, I should also mention that I will probably be looking to work somewhere where my license and degree has more merit...and more benefits lol

For people considering PhD, you work does not have to pay for it. 97% of PhD students are sponsored by the school either through fellowship (the best option), research assistantship (a very good second option) or teaching assistantship (the one I had which gives you a high workload in the PhD program, I think it is good for a Masters) . I was in a PhD program before I left with my Master's. Luckily I realized PhD wasn't for me before I was 4 years deep in research. I didn't pay tuition and was paid a stipend per month (about 1400 dollars)

I would advise you all to apply and try and secure funding from professors or schools. Your work does not need to sponsor you and I doubt if any would when there really isn't a need for it in the workplace. MBA's on the other hand would be nice for them to pay for it as very few people are funded by the school through scholarships.

For people considering PhD, you work does not have to pay for it. 97% of PhD students are sponsored by the school either through fellowship (the best option), research assistantship (a very good second option) or teaching assistantship (the one I had which gives you a high workload in the PhD program, I think it is good for a Masters) . I was in a PhD program before I left with my Master's. Luckily I realized PhD wasn't for me before I was 4 years deep in research. I didn't pay tuition and was paid a stipend per month (about 1400 dollars)

I would advise you all to apply and try and secure funding from professors or schools. Your work does not need to sponsor you and I doubt if any would when there really isn't a need for it in the workplace. MBA's on the other hand would be nice for them to pay for it as very few people are funded by the school through scholarships.
I am assuming 23and1 wants a part time PhD while having a full time job. Hence they would have to get funded by the company. If they are in fact talking about quitting their job and enrolling in a full time PhD option, then they should be able to get RA from the university.

I am assuming 23and1 wants a part time PhD while having a full time job. Hence they would have to get funded by the company. If they are in fact talking about quitting their job and enrolling in a full time PhD option, then they should be able to get RA from the university.
Yeah good point but is there a part time PhD program that makes sense? From my experience, I feel PhD should be fully invested as you are in the labs for long hours. You really should not be doing anything else. That is just an opinion. I may be wrong.

Yeah good point but is there a part time PhD program that makes sense? From my experience, I feel PhD should be fully invested as you are in the labs for long hours. You really should not be doing anything else. That is just an opinion. I may be wrong.
I too did it full time. But I have known people who have done it part time from good universities. Its when you do not want to reduce your paycheck and the research is usually related to your day to day work. 

I too did it full time. But I have known people who have done it part time from good universities. Its when you do not want to reduce your paycheck and the research is usually related to your day to day work. 
Hmm interesting. I didn't know you can do that but if that is the case then it is worth it

Back