PE Exam - Moving States

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frustrated Engineer

Project Engineer
Reaction score
I have a question and I'm hoping that someone here has some kind of knowledge of this because the GA Board is not responding to my emails. 

[SIZE=11pt]I have taken the PE exam four (4) times in California and unfortunately have come close to passing, but I still have not passed it. I am planning on moving to Georgia before the next exam. It is my understanding that the State of Georgia requires someone that has failed the exam four times to take twelve (12) credit units of classes at a college before being able to sit for the exam again. My question is; will this apply to me even though I did not take the exam in Georgia? Or will it be a clean slate so to speak and I’ll have four more attempts? (Not that I am planning on four more of course). [/SIZE]

Thanks!

Just fly back to California to take the exam. It will most likely be cheaper, not to mention easier, to take the exam again in CA than it will be to register in another state to take it. I just did the same thing. Took the exam the first time in PA, failed, moved to CO, flew back to PA to take exam again rather than pay to register in another state and go through all that **** paperwork again.

You'll have to go through NCEES Records to get reciprocity, but that's cheaper and easier than registering in a new state to take the exam again.

What @amk78 said, plus ask California if you have to physically take the test in California, or if you can physically sit for the exam in another location. It's my understanding that some states don't require you to actually physically take the test in their state.

Just fly back to California to take the exam. It will most likely be cheaper, not to mention easier, to take the exam again in CA than it will be to register in another state to take it. I just did the same thing. Took the exam the first time in PA, failed, moved to CO, flew back to PA to take exam again rather than pay to register in another state and go through all that **** paperwork again.

You'll have to go through NCEES Records to get reciprocity, but that's cheaper and easier than registering in a new state to take the exam again.

What @amk78 said, plus ask California if you have to physically take the test in California, or if you can physically sit for the exam in another location. It's my understanding that some states don't require you to actually physically take the test in their state.
Thank you for responding so quickly guys! @amk78 I was actually thinking of doing that as well. I could take it as many times as necessary without complication, but considering my track record with exams, it could get pricey lol. The extra paperwork does not sound appealing either.

@RBHeadge PE That's an answer that I actually have gotten from GA. They do make you sit for the exam in their state. If I were to pass the 8 hour in CA, then I would have to pass the seismic and survey and get my PE before I could actually get my PE in GA. That would be fine though because I'm still going to be working for my California company, just remotely from GA.

Do you know if people can take the 8-hour PE exam for CA outside of CA?

(Former GA person). I am 99% sure They only count the 4 times you took it in GA.

But once you have the 4 times they do not let up on the 12 hours even if you pass the exam in another state. I know several people who passed in Alabama after failing 4 times in Ga and Ga won’t give them comity until they take the 12 hours of college courses.

Instead of flying back to CA I’d just apply to take it in Alabama. Way cheaper and it’s not a bad drive.

(Former GA person). I am 99% sure They only count the 4 times you took it in GA.

But once you have the 4 times they do not let up on the 12 hours even if you pass the exam in another state. I know several people who passed in Alabama after failing 4 times in Ga and Ga won’t give them comity until they take the 12 hours of college courses.

Instead of flying back to CA I’d just apply to take it in Alabama. Way cheaper and it’s not a bad drive.
That's not a bad idea to take it in Alabama! I will look into that. I personally think that Georgia's rule about having to retake college courses is ridiculous. I've always been a poor test taker. It's not because I don't know the material so extra college courses will do nothing for me 😕 Waste of money and time. I do want to get a masters at some point so maybe they would count masters classes for that. Thanks!

The Board is all Ga Tech grads who think if you don't pass it on the 1st try you shouldn't ever get a second chance..

The Board is all Ga Tech grads who think if you don't pass it on the 1st try you shouldn't ever get a second chance..
This is very true. As someone who worked in Atlanta, GA, most of the GA Tech grads I worked with believe they're gods gift to this planet... Don't get me wrong, GA Tech is a great school, but the narcissistic attitude that comes along with MOST of their grads is not appealing. 

That's not a bad idea to take it in Alabama! 😕
The commute to the test is easier and you'll definitely be first in the country to know your results.

This is very true. As someone who worked in Atlanta, GA, most of the GA Tech grads I worked with believe they're gods gift to this planet... Don't get me wrong, GA Tech is a great school, but the narcissistic attitude that comes along with MOST of their grads is not appealing. 

Wait, you mean we're not god's gift to this planet? /s

I can't stand the people that act like you're not cut out for engineering if you can't pass an exam on the first try. I do just fine at my job and I just got promoted last year so I think their theories are entirely wrong.

I agree with this completely! I was born and raised in GA so I've met a lot of tech grads. I was accepted into tech, but decided to go to UGA instead because I heard they were a more hands on school (which is better for me) so I went there and it was a good call. 

The commute to the test is easier and you'll definitely be first in the country to know your results.

Wait, you mean we're not god's gift to this planet? /s
@RBHeadge PE I agree and yes they were the first this time around huh? California just couldn't do it in the first day. Maybe it's the time change. Seems like GA takes forever to release results these days so no thank you to that lol

I'm not sure about that either. I wish they would make this kind of stuff more straight forward since it seems to be a normal occurrence. Aint nobody got time for dat!
I got this answer before the last administration as I am an OH resident going for a CA license.  You must take it in CA.

Interesting.  All I know is that I was told to take it in state for power.
The only reason I know this is because there's a guy at my work from Arkansas. He already had a PE there when he moved here and they let him take the seismic and survey exams. For power though, does California make you take extra exams after the 8 hour? That may be why if that's the only exam you take.

The only reason I know this is because there's a guy at my work from Arkansas. He already had a PE there when he moved here and they let him take the seismic and survey exams. For power though, does California make you take extra exams after the 8 hour? That may be why if that's the only exam you take.
I think I've muddied the waters somehow.  

I was referring to an initial license situations.  In that case (mine) one would have to take the exam in CA.  One could comity in to CA if licensed elsewhere but I think we all know that at this point.

For Power, there is no other exam (outside of the take-home law exam).

I know nothing about the craziness you Civil people must endure 😂

Hi,
I am from Texas and in the process of obtaining my license; but I am planning to move to CA within the next couple months. So if I am licensed in Texas, will they allow me to take the survey and seismic exams and be licensed through reciprocity? Do they still need reference letters, transcripts, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back