Would any April questions be repeated in October?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hypothetically speaking, let's say I wrote April exam and sat for Oct exam and all the questions were repeated. 1st of all, I won't remember those questions because when you sit for the exam, you are so occupied with doing your test then memorizing the question. So I think it will be of no use to know whether a few questions will be repeated and it will be of no use even if all questions will be repeated.  

There are no shortcuts in this exam. As far as I have read/heard from people every exam is different. You have to be prepared for anything that could be asked

I took the April 2018 exam and then retook the April 2019 exam and passed. One of my shitty superpowers is being able to remember well the problems I get wrong on exams. On the April 2019 exam, I experienced about a dozen repeated questions. Thankfully, I remembered them and knew the right answer this time as instant recall - so maybe that superpower isn't so shitty anymore after all.

In case you're interested, another shitty superpower is nerve wracking anxiety over repeating those questions in my head all while knowing there isn't anything more I can do about it once the exam is handed in.

Somewhere on this board there is someone who has taken one of the disciplines some 12 or 14 times (wow) and they were saying that there are repeated questions.  That said, I would assume that given the finite number of questions NCEES has to generate a test, 12 or 14 cycles would almost, but not certainly, guarantee repeats while with just 2 or 3 cycles, there would be no statistical 'guarantee.'

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken it 6 times. There are similar-ish questions but I don't recall identical problems. 

The point I'm making is even if all the questions were repeated, it would still be of no help. Unless I have those questions in front of me, I practice upon them and then retest. At this point it is all vague memory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back