Cost to practice Engineering survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ky_Su

Reaction score
 @ ND engineers... Wow... what does your Board do with all the money it collects?  

@ Grady Hillhouse...   Really!? TX makes you renew the license every year?   I hope at least they accept electronic payments.

Tennessee and Kentucky added.  I included a note for the $400 annual privilege tax which is being eliminated in 2020.  I just paid mine for 2019.

Note:  When did the Capital of Tennessee move to Memphis?  I was not aware of this.

I corrected the spelling on Montpelier, VT.

I know the cost is 100$ for renewal but I'm not 100% if it's a 2 year cycle or not since I haven't passed and few in my company are licensed in VT (yay consulting). I'm 95% sure it's a 2 year cycle.

I corrected the spelling on Montpelier, VT.

I know the cost is 100$ for renewal but I'm not 100% if it's a 2 year cycle or not since I haven't passed and few in my company are licensed in VT (yay consulting). I'm 95% sure it's a 2 year cycle.
Its a 2 year cycle.

sincerely,

your favorite EB'er

Booo!  someone vandalized the doc on Saturday 5/25 @ 10AM  (either that or someone just really sucked in excel!).  Good thing I was able to restore it to a previously working version.

Why is the cost so expensive in Canada?  Does it also include an "association" fee similar to NSPE? (i.e.  you get more benefits than just to financially support the regulators)

Added California app fee in the notes.

Tennessee and Kentucky added.  I included a note for the $400 annual privilege tax which is being eliminated in 2020.  I just paid mine for 2019.
Alright.  You got me.  What is the 'privilege tax?'

Added California app fee in the notes.

Alright.  You got me.  What is the 'privilege tax?'
The Privilege Tax is a fee of $400 that was required to practice in any of the below occupations that required a license. You paid this annual in addition to the biannual $140 renewal fee.  The State required this awhile back to balance the budget.  The good news is 2019 is the last year PE' s are required to pay the fee.

Professional Privilege Tax

Overview

Professional privilege tax is due June 1 each year for individuals licensed or registered to practice in Tennessee any one of the professions listed in Tenn. Code Ann. §67-4-1702.  Fifteen professions have been removed from the tax beginning June 1, 2020. 

The following professions are required to pay the tax due on June 1, 2019.  If you are registered or licensed to practice in more than one of the following professions, you are only required to pay the $400 tax once per year. 

Accountant

Lobbyis

Agent (Securities)

Optometrist

Architect

Osteopathic

Physician

Attorney

Pharmacist

Audiologist

Physician

Broker-Dealer

Podiatrist

Chiropractor

Psychologist

Dentist

Real Estate Principal Broker

Engineer

Speech Pathologist

Investment

Adviser

Sports Agent

Landscape Architect

Veterinarian

The following professions are required to pay the tax due on June 1, 2020 and thereafter.

Attorney

Agent (Securities)

Broker-Dealer

Investment Adviser

Lobbyist

Osteopathic Physician

Physician

Last edited by a moderator:
So it cost $540/yr to practice in TN.....  Wow....

Why is the cost so expensive in Canada?  Does it also include an "association" fee similar to NSPE? (i.e.  you get more benefits than just to financially support the regulators)
Note that the membership dues in Alberta are not unusual for Canada.  See figure below (costs are in Canadian dollars and do not include taxes) for November 2017 (taken from https://www.apega.ca/assets/graphics/member-dues-canada-eng-geo.png)
member-dues-canada-eng-geo.png

The fees go directly to the regulators, with no other association fees included.  (Note that the provincial/territorial member associations are members of Engineers Canada, which is similar in some senses to NSPE but only the regulators are members of Engineers Canada, not individuals.)

We do get some member benefits (https://www.apega.ca/members/benefits/), but I don't think these explain the cost, given how APEGA describes their mandate.  To wit, [t]he Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) regulates the practices of engineering and geoscience in Alberta on behalf of the Government of Alberta through the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act.  Our main regulatory function is licensing individuals and companies that want to practise engineering and geoscience in Alberta.

I am speculating that part of the reason that member dues are so high in Canada is because the professional associations can charge these prices.  In Canada there is no industrial exemption (with the exception of Ontario), so anyone practicing engineering is required to become licensed.

Hope that was informative.

Back