Applicants with foreign bachelor degree/ US masters?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Chen

Reaction score
Congrats to those who passed. To those who didn't, just hang on tight, read your report and dig into the sections you could improve. I'm sure you can pass the very next time!

Okay here is my question.

Does anyone have similar education background can provide some experience when applying license? I've certainly searched forum before asking, but I did not find too much useful info. Some threads are from 2010 so I am hoping requirements are changed to the desired direction.

What I found is even if you have a Masters degree from US university, applicants still have to go through degree evaluation? State board website provided some info, but it is only about undergrad school. No words about applicants with Masters/PHD degree at all. I did email the board try to get official guidance, but also want to see people here have any insight. 

I am applying in WI. Anyone else? 

Does anyone have similar education background can provide some experience when applying license? I've certainly searched forum before asking, but I did not find too much useful info. Some threads are from 2010 so I am hoping requirements are changed to the desired direction.
Regardless of having the qualifications of 4+ years experience and a Masters degree, you will have to go through the NCEES degree verification process (This is VA). What i was told by the board is: Verify your foreign BSc or submit 6+ years of experience. It is a fairly annoying process that adds 400+ dollars. Hope this helps. 

Undergrad degree verification by NCEES is necessary. If your foreign institute has ABEEK approved curriculum, then just get an officially sealed English transcript and you are done.

If not, you will have to go through real "verification" process, which involves providing a list of courses you took and what are those. The course list must be in English and approved by your institute. So you will have to find someone in your school registrar office on that.

Regardless of having the qualifications of 4+ years experience and a Masters degree, you will have to go through the NCEES degree verification process (This is VA). What i was told by the board is: Verify your foreign BSc or submit 6+ years of experience. It is a fairly annoying process that adds 400+ dollars. Hope this helps. 
^^this

What I found is even if you have a Masters degree from US university, applicants still have to go through degree evaluation?
You dont necessarily have to get the evaluation but then you have to provide more experience. In Illinois it is 8yrs without verification and 4 with.

Congrats to those who passed. To those who didn't, just hang on tight, read your report and dig into the sections you could improve. I'm sure you can pass the very next time!

Okay here is my question.

What I found is even if you have a Masters degree from US university, applicants still have to go through degree evaluation? State board website provided some info, but it is only about undergrad school. No words about applicants with Masters/PHD degree at all. I did email the board try to get official guidance, but also want to see people here have any insight. 

I am applying in WI. Anyone else? 
I am in the same boat as you. I am applying in WI as well. I have read on the DSPS website that a degree evaluation is necessary for a foreign bachelors degree through NCEES. I am currently in the process of getting that done. Let me know what you find out. 

I am in the same boat as you. I am applying in WI as well. I have read on the DSPS website that a degree evaluation is necessary for a foreign bachelors degree through NCEES. I am currently in the process of getting that done. Let me know what you find out. 
they replied my email. see below.

"Yes, all foreign education needs to be verified through NCEES. Since it is required to have a Bachelors degree, they liaison will need to see that is has been verified through NCEES." 

I think I'll start the process soon. How far did you go?

^^this

You dont necessarily have to get the evaluation but then you have to provide more experience. In Illinois it is 8yrs without verification and 4 with.

I am actually based in Chicago, but since IL board is the most strict on experiences requirement (8yrs. seriously?) so I decide to get license in WI first and wait for that 8th year to come. Otherwise I might be out of school for too long before even taking the exam.

Undergrad degree verification by NCEES is necessary. If your foreign institute has ABEEK approved curriculum, then just get an officially sealed English transcript and you are done.

If not, you will have to go through real "verification" process, which involves providing a list of courses you took and what are those. The course list must be in English and approved by your institute. So you will have to find someone in your school registrar office on that.
Yes. that seems to be the only route. Thank you for the input?

Have you done that too? Wondering how long it took you. I know it has to be couple months for sure though.

Yes. that seems to be the only route. Thank you for the input?

Have you done that too? Wondering how long it took you. I know it has to be couple months for sure though.
Yes, I have.

1. Find your transcript and dust off. List all courses there to a table using Excel etc. I included year, semester, course name, number of credits, description for columns

2. Add description for each course with best of your knowledge. I often Goolgled to find syllabi of same or similar courses

3. Talk to someone in your foreign institute to find out who could verify your course listing. It could be your department and/or registrar. In my case, it was registrar office

4. Ask them to

- check your course listing and confirm

- fill out the form NCEES provides

- include a copy of sealed official English transcript

- and then send all together to NCEES

5. Pay fee and/or provide envelop for them to send oversea

In my case, it took about a month with multiple calls and email communications. You will have to push them because they rarely care (if at all) because it is not their priority.

Good luck.

I am actually based in Chicago, but since IL board is the most strict on experiences requirement (8yrs. seriously?) so I decide to get license in WI first and wait for that 8th year to come. Otherwise I might be out of school for too long before even taking the exam.
good idea. When you decide to transfer to IL, do check their science class requirements. That is usually an issue for foreign applicants

Yes, I have.

1. Find your transcript and dust off. List all courses there to a table using Excel etc. I included year, semester, course name, number of credits, description for columns

2. Add description for each course with best of your knowledge. I often Goolgled to find syllabi of same or similar courses

3. Talk to someone in your foreign institute to find out who could verify your course listing. It could be your department and/or registrar. In my case, it was registrar office

4. Ask them to

- check your course listing and confirm

- fill out the form NCEES provides

- include a copy of sealed official English transcript

- and then send all together to NCEES

5. Pay fee and/or provide envelop for them to send oversea

In my case, it took about a month with multiple calls and email communications. You will have to push them because they rarely care (if at all) because it is not their priority.

Good luck.

This is very helpful! Thank you so much!

And one month is incredible short to me. I'm prepared it would be a lot more, just like you said, they dont care. 

good idea. When you decide to transfer to IL, do check their science class requirements. That is usually an issue for foreign applicants
Good to know. Thank you. 

Survived the weather here. Nothing could be worse. I think.

^^this

Hello NikR,

I am actually applying to ILLINOIS. I did my Credentials Evaluation and I had some humanities deficiency which I have now fulfilled. You said, IL needs 4 years with verification. Is that true with my case? Where did you find this requirement?

Hello NikR,

I am actually applying to ILLINOIS. I did my Credentials Evaluation and I had some humanities deficiency which I have now fulfilled. You said, IL needs 4 years with verification. Is that true with my case? Where did you find this requirement?
To be honest I am not entirely sure. Based on what written at the bottom of page 2 here (https://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/Apply/Forms/PE-END.pdf) I assumed once you get the credential evaluation they will classify you as an approved program graduate. Else, it beats the purpose of getting the evaluation done. The best way is to ask the board I guess. Please update us once you find the answer. 

To be honest I am not entirely sure. Based on what written at the bottom of page 2 here (https://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/Apply/Forms/PE-END.pdf) I assumed once you get the credential evaluation they will classify you as an approved program graduate. Else, it beats the purpose of getting the evaluation done. The best way is to ask the board I guess. Please update us once you find the answer. 
I see. I talked to the board today and unfortunately they still need 8 yrs of experience. Which sucks  like you said it beats the purpose of getting the evaluation done! (Can you tell I am super frustrated with this requirements)

I see. I talked to the board today and unfortunately they still need 8 yrs of experience. Which sucks  like you said it beats the purpose of getting the evaluation done! (Can you tell I am super frustrated with this requirements)
Exact same feeling. That is the only reason I decided to do it in Wisconsin even I live and work in Chicago.

Exact same feeling. That is the only reason I decided to do it in Wisconsin even I live and work in Chicago.
I see! I also applied to Michigan, but I do need the IL number as well. First spend your life studying for the exam and then spend the rest of it by figuring out the requirements! 😞

they replied my email. see below.

"Yes, all foreign education needs to be verified through NCEES. Since it is required to have a Bachelors degree, they liaison will need to see that is has been verified through NCEES." 

I think I'll start the process soon. How far did you go?
Did you need to get this for a WI license? How long does it take?

Back