Applicants with foreign bachelor degree/ US masters? - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
PPI ​ ​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Joey Chen

Applicants with foreign bachelor degree/ US masters?

Recommended Posts

Congrats to those who passed. To those who didn't, just hang on tight, read your report and dig into the sections you could improve. I'm sure you can pass the very next time!

 

Okay here is my question.

Does anyone have similar education background can provide some experience when applying license? I've certainly searched forum before asking, but I did not find too much useful info. Some threads are from 2010 so I am hoping requirements are changed to the desired direction.

What I found is even if you have a Masters degree from US university, applicants still have to go through degree evaluation? State board website provided some info, but it is only about undergrad school. No words about applicants with Masters/PHD degree at all. I did email the board try to get official guidance, but also want to see people here have any insight. 

I am applying in WI. Anyone else? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joey Chen said:

Does anyone have similar education background can provide some experience when applying license? I've certainly searched forum before asking, but I did not find too much useful info. Some threads are from 2010 so I am hoping requirements are changed to the desired direction.

Regardless of having the qualifications of 4+ years experience and a Masters degree, you will have to go through the NCEES degree verification process (This is VA). What i was told by the board is: Verify your foreign BSc or submit 6+ years of experience. It is a fairly annoying process that adds 400+ dollars. Hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Undergrad degree verification by NCEES is necessary. If your foreign institute has ABEEK approved curriculum, then just get an officially sealed English transcript and you are done.

If not, you will have to go through real "verification" process, which involves providing a list of courses you took and what are those. The course list must be in English and approved by your institute. So you will have to find someone in your school registrar office on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JC_90 said:

Regardless of having the qualifications of 4+ years experience and a Masters degree, you will have to go through the NCEES degree verification process (This is VA). What i was told by the board is: Verify your foreign BSc or submit 6+ years of experience. It is a fairly annoying process that adds 400+ dollars. Hope this helps. 

^^this

 

12 hours ago, Joey Chen said:

What I found is even if you have a Masters degree from US university, applicants still have to go through degree evaluation?

You dont necessarily have to get the evaluation but then you have to provide more experience. In Illinois it is 8yrs without verification and 4 with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Joey Chen said:

Congrats to those who passed. To those who didn't, just hang on tight, read your report and dig into the sections you could improve. I'm sure you can pass the very next time!

 

Okay here is my question.

Does anyone have similar education background can provide some experience when applying license? I've certainly searched forum before asking, but I did not find too much useful info. Some threads are from 2010 so I am hoping requirements are changed to the desired direction.

What I found is even if you have a Masters degree from US university, applicants still have to go through degree evaluation? State board website provided some info, but it is only about undergrad school. No words about applicants with Masters/PHD degree at all. I did email the board try to get official guidance, but also want to see people here have any insight. 

I am applying in WI. Anyone else? 

I am in the same boat as you. I am applying in WI as well. I have read on the DSPS website that a degree evaluation is necessary for a foreign bachelors degree through NCEES. I am currently in the process of getting that done. Let me know what you find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ImaPE said:

I am in the same boat as you. I am applying in WI as well. I have read on the DSPS website that a degree evaluation is necessary for a foreign bachelors degree through NCEES. I am currently in the process of getting that done. Let me know what you find out. 

 

they replied my email. see below.

"Yes, all foreign education needs to be verified through NCEES. Since it is required to have a Bachelors degree, they liaison will need to see that is has been verified through NCEES." 

I think I'll start the process soon. How far did you go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, NikR said:

^^this

 

You dont necessarily have to get the evaluation but then you have to provide more experience. In Illinois it is 8yrs without verification and 4 with.

 

I am actually based in Chicago, but since IL board is the most strict on experiences requirement (8yrs. seriously?) so I decide to get license in WI first and wait for that 8th year to come. Otherwise I might be out of school for too long before even taking the exam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 11:44 AM, MEPEPHD said:

Undergrad degree verification by NCEES is necessary. If your foreign institute has ABEEK approved curriculum, then just get an officially sealed English transcript and you are done.

If not, you will have to go through real "verification" process, which involves providing a list of courses you took and what are those. The course list must be in English and approved by your institute. So you will have to find someone in your school registrar office on that.

Yes. that seems to be the only route. Thank you for the input?

Have you done that too? Wondering how long it took you. I know it has to be couple months for sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joey Chen said:

Yes. that seems to be the only route. Thank you for the input?

Have you done that too? Wondering how long it took you. I know it has to be couple months for sure though.

Yes, I have.

1. Find your transcript and dust off. List all courses there to a table using Excel etc. I included year, semester, course name, number of credits, description for columns

2. Add description for each course with best of your knowledge. I often Goolgled to find syllabi of same or similar courses

3. Talk to someone in your foreign institute to find out who could verify your course listing. It could be your department and/or registrar. In my case, it was registrar office

4. Ask them to

- check your course listing and confirm

- fill out the form NCEES provides

- include a copy of sealed official English transcript

- and then send all together to NCEES

5. Pay fee and/or provide envelop for them to send oversea

 

In my case, it took about a month with multiple calls and email communications. You will have to push them because they rarely care (if at all) because it is not their priority.

Good luck.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Joey Chen said:

 

I am actually based in Chicago, but since IL board is the most strict on experiences requirement (8yrs. seriously?) so I decide to get license in WI first and wait for that 8th year to come. Otherwise I might be out of school for too long before even taking the exam.

good idea. When you decide to transfer to IL, do check their science class requirements. That is usually an issue for foreign applicants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MEPEPHD said:

Yes, I have.

1. Find your transcript and dust off. List all courses there to a table using Excel etc. I included year, semester, course name, number of credits, description for columns

2. Add description for each course with best of your knowledge. I often Goolgled to find syllabi of same or similar courses

3. Talk to someone in your foreign institute to find out who could verify your course listing. It could be your department and/or registrar. In my case, it was registrar office

4. Ask them to

- check your course listing and confirm

- fill out the form NCEES provides

- include a copy of sealed official English transcript

- and then send all together to NCEES

5. Pay fee and/or provide envelop for them to send oversea

 

In my case, it took about a month with multiple calls and email communications. You will have to push them because they rarely care (if at all) because it is not their priority.

Good luck.

 

This is very helpful! Thank you so much!

And one month is incredible short to me. I'm prepared it would be a lot more, just like you said, they dont care. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NikR said:

good idea. When you decide to transfer to IL, do check their science class requirements. That is usually an issue for foreign applicants

Good to know. Thank you. 

Survived the weather here. Nothing could be worse. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joey Chen said:

Good to know. Thank you. 

Survived the weather here. Nothing could be worse. I think.

:brickwall:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...