CA PLS Exam Results (April 2019)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does it take so long to release results from a cbt?
I'm not sure, seems like it would make the process fairly easy. There must be significant review during the post exam process on questions, answers, typos in the exam etc. I just thought now that the board pumps out the PE - Survey / Seismic every month it would alleviate the mass of exams received from the old setup (Spring & Fall). Ultimately, allowing the PLS results to be delivered sooner, but i guess not.

Why does it take so long to release results from a cbt?
While both are administered by CBT methods, the two California Civil exams are developed in a different format than the California Professional Land Surveyor.  This is primarily due to the size of the population.

Normally, the results for the CA PLS exam are released about 30-40 days after administration, which isn't much different from the release of the CA Civil exams, but due to the new test plan specifications beginning this January, more detailed analysis is required to determine the passing criteria for the first administration of this new test plan.  Candidates will be hearing results very soon.  EDIT:  I'm told results were released yesterday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
After results are released, how long does it typically take to see the numbers posted on the DCA license search?

After results are released, how long does it typically take to see the numbers posted on the DCA license search?
It depends on the licensing schedule.  I know that licenses are next scheduled to be ran this Friday 6/21

I took the CA Seismic exam about 5 years ago.  I also took the survey exam.  I wanted to see how the exam format went, so I just took both exams without studying.  Since I'm a structural guy, I passed the Seismic but failed the survey.  Would CA accept my seismic exam if I took the survey exam this year?

Back