April 2019 - Geotech Preparation & Cutoff Score!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoilDR

Reaction score
This was my 2nd attempt at Geotech. I passed. For some of our friends, on here - trying to see what the cutoff score was. Please chime in. I prepared with EET. Highly recommend them!

Managed to pass geotech on the first try. I took school of PE as part of my prep, and it definitly helped me with the AM. However, I can't say it was very useful for the depth. The six min solutions along with using the geotechnical engineers portable handbook were what pulled me through the PM portion. Would love to know what I scored on the PM portion.

hi all,

i failed this exam. i got 51/80. just want to figure out cutting score. please help!!! 

hi all,

i failed this exam. i got 51/80. just want to figure out cutting score. please help!!! 
Sorry to hear. That is the highest fail score I have seen on the forums for this administration of the geotech exam. Are you in Texas by chance?

The good thing to realize is you were very close this go around and can absolutely destroy the exam next cycle!

Hi everyone, how well do I need to prepare for sections other than Geotechnical if I plan to take the Geotechnical depth exam?  Structural engineering section for example is very long, but there are only about six expected questions on mechanics.  Please share your experiences; I plan to take the October exam but have been stressing out ever since I bought the Reference Manual.

First timer over here, failed with 48/80. Didn't take any courses just worked problems and read through material. Plan on taking EET for Geo Depth to hopefully bring it home in October!

Hi everyone, how well do I need to prepare for sections other than Geotechnical if I plan to take the Geotechnical depth exam?  Structural engineering section for example is very long, but there are only about six expected questions on mechanics.  Please share your experiences; I plan to take the October exam but have been stressing out ever since I bought the Reference Manual.
I didn't pass so take my advice with a grain of salt but I would buy a practice test or two to evaluate where you stand on the broad topics and decide from there where you need to focus your studying. Also, there's a lot of material in the reference manual that's not on the test, get very familiar with the syllabus from NCEES and don't waste time on topics not listed. Best of luck I'll be taking it again in October as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone who has recently passed PLEASE tell me what references really helped with the depth portion?  I have failed the exam several times due to my afternoon performances being substandard.  It has been the same story over and over for me each exam...I am really confident after the breadth portion of the exam and really worried after the depth portion!

I passed Geotech on my second attempt this time around. In October last year I got 40/80 (23 AM, 17PM) with TX grade of 61% - I took SOPE which I thought was okay for breadth for not at all good for depth. So I switched to EET for depth for the April exam and that is what saved me this time. I passed this time with 76% grade, I believe I did very good on the breadth and fairly okay in the depth. As far as I can remember, more than 50% of the questions were covered directly/ indirectly from EET course, may be 10-15% questions from SOPE, few questions from Geotechnical handbook and 1-2 questions from OSHA book - rest were conceptual questions. 

I highly recommend EET for Geotech esp. for the numerical part, lot of conceptual questions were also covered in their binder. Few things that worked for me:

1) You have to absolutely kill the morning section - try to score in excess of 35, I know it sounds high but very doable.    2) 15-20 questions in the Geotech depth will be numerical, try to get most of them to compensate for Geotech conceptual questions - EET should cover all the numerical problems.    3) For Geotech depth conceptual questions - I'd say refer to NCEES syllabus for Geotech and cover each conceptual topic as stated by them. I reviewed EET, SOPE, geotechnical engineer's handbook (by Robert Day), watched numerous youtube videos for basic Geotech concepts. I also bought few books by Das, Holtz, Coduto but never used them. 

Let me know if you have any doubts.

I was failed the Geotech PE Exams in October 2018. I just can't accept that but no option. Just don't want to Challenge the board. I don't know whether its because I don't have my credentials assessed by NCEES North Carolina. My undergraduate is CEAB-accredited by Canadian Engineering Board and had my FE exams with Michigan State. I was really confident after the exams but the score known on NCEES account is really insulting. 

Hopefully I will try again in Michigan; now that Candidates can take the exam with few years of experience and after passing the FE Exam.

Back