The ones who passed tell us how you did. - Page 3 - APR 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
AlexandroAldama

The ones who passed tell us how you did.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:44 PM, goldpanner said:

Passed Civil Transportation

Morning: I felt confident on the majority of questions, approximately 6 questions I wasnt sure of (educated guesses, process of elimination).
Afternoon: Rough! Optimistically, felt confident on ~25. WAG on 5 questions.

I used testmasters course, as I am 15 years removed from graduating, and pursued other interests up until 5 years ago when I got back into the Engineering field.
I had all the reference books (HCM, HSM, Green Book, etc) as well as the CERM....I dont think I opened any of them, as I used the Testmaster spiral-bound books to find everything I needed. They were very well laid out, and I had tabbed the heck outta them as well.

My advise is time management (both in studying AND test taking), and become familiar with your resources (in my case, the testmasters notebooks).

Best of luck to future test takers, and believe in yourself!

23 minutes ago, JustTryingToHelp said:

Passed 1st time. Civil Transportation. Took SOPE for review. They were good for the AM but not so much for the PM portions.

In the AM portion, I felt very confident on 27 of them and the ramaining 10 were educated guesses (mostly concert questions) and 3 were a stab.

in the PM portion. Felt confident on 22 of them, had educated guesses on about 13 of them, and had to stab on 5.

With all this being said, I thought for sure I failed after leaving the exam and I ended up passing. Another guy on a different post thought for sure he passed and he failed. 

If you failed, keep your head up and dive deep into the depth portion of the exam for next time. From what I’ve seen, most people do well in the AM portion and then get killed in the PM portion.

good luck!!!

Can't believe I passed Civil Transportation! I took the PPI course offered by local NSPE chapter. The instructors were all local and helped a lot, but the course material wasn't really detailed in my opinion. I also canceled a trip to Hawaii for my friend's wedding and stay at home to study more.

I am pretty much on the same boat as @JustTryingToHelp when I walked out of the room. AM I should get around 25, educated guess 7-8 and at least 6-7 were foreign to me so I put down all Cs for Civil. For PM I spent 3:15 hours doing 25 questions and left myself 45 minutes for 15 questions. I probably got all those 15 wrong (putting As on 10 of them in the last minute) but I think the 25 questions that I spent most of my time on were mostly correct. So that gave me 30 AM + 25 PM = 55 Total estimate.

I also echoed @goldpanner's point on time management as I was probably lucky to be able to pull it off. Bringing a watch and set the stopwatch is a must.

About a month ago before the exam I were still debating if I should purchase all the manuals and guidelines listed. Coincidentally I sat next to a guy during a conference (same location as the exam lol) that he suggested me to do a search on the public library website. Guess what... I was able to borrow the Roadside Design Guide, MUTCD actual book, AASHTO Green Book, and HCM 6th ed. I also found the HSM draft version online (from 2009) with very similar materials as the published HSM. And I did use all of them during the PM.

For everyone that didn't pass, maybe luck was't on your side this time. Keep believing in yourself and you will pass for sure!

Passed PE: Power  - Recent graduate (May 2018) so math was all still fresh. Also, I like to read and have read 5 books on the topic since graduation: (2)Power Systems/(2)PE Study Guides/(1)Power Reference Manual

5 possible missed in the AM: 3 wrong + 2 guesses
3 possible missed in the PM: 3 guesses

Power System Analysis by Grainger (Author)

Electrical Engineer's Guide to Passing the Power PE Exam by A. S. Graffeo, PE

Power PE Technical Study Guide by Justin Kauwale, P.E.

Power Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam Second Edition, New Edition by Camara PE, John A 

Machines book I had back from college - Forgot name/Author. - didn't reference it at all during exam

Used all of these as references, plus NEC, NESC, NFPA 70E, NCEES Practice Test, Power PE Practice Test, Power PE References Practice Test

Edited by Snowman
Added Reference Material

4 hours ago, GR8 PLUMENG said:

ME-HVAC:  I was a repeat taker so I didnt really focus on studying concepts. I felt pretty confident I knew the material. I focused mostly on practice problems.

Materials for the Test:

ME Reference Manual printed and Tabbed.

MERM

Engproguides Full Test and Reference Manual (Very Helpful)

Slay PE - Psychrometrics and Basic HVAC System Calculations for the HVAC&R Exam

NCEES HVAC Exam (2016) and Six Min Solution.

I worked those problems 10 problems at a time. I think I went through both books probably twice.

Engproguides has 80 Questions. I focused on the areas I had difficulty. 

Morning part was easy. I think I had about 1 hr left with about 2 or 3 questions I just didnt wanna be bothered with. So I guessed those, and spent the rest of the time going over, making sure I actually bubbled in the correct answer. 

Afternoon was a bit challenging. But I managed to be done with an hour left. The key is to do so many problems that it becomes easy.  

thank you for this information

PE: Electronic many many years out of school and luckily passed as 1st time taker, same for FE. Better very late than never and I figured  that they won't have many years to collect my license fee either.  The duration between my FE and PE was almost six months. After receiving the EIT certificate that took nearly two months to receive then I signed up for PE. Total of four months on preparation:

- NCEES PE practice exam - Do the test run on it first then verified the answers. Reviewed the materials that I failed. Spent hour or so each evening,  few hours on weekend at my own pace. Two weeks before exam, did the test run again and refined the study. Stopped study two days before the exam to relax.

- FE reference handbook + FE review manual + anything I can find in the old books in my garage. I realized that through these years, physics has not changed. Circuit analysis is still analyzed the same way. Transistors have not changed a bit either. If that is the case, why having specific book is more helpful than the others ?  The pain from the electric shock I got decade ago would produce the same pain I get today. The test is not about technology trend or latest research papers. It was about the same old fundamentals that we forgot. For those who failed, focus on the area of your weakness after you practiced the sample exams. Don't focus on study to pass the exam, instead focus on understanding the concept posed in the problems. If you study just to pass the test you will fail when the exam change as they always do. That is why many repeaters still fail. NCEES practice exam is the best material for us because it practically tell  us what to expect, the level of difficulty and the type of questions. I saw peoples hauled so many of books with them and I was wondering if they rather spending time solving the problem than thumbing through their books. This was not a good sign. I too brought four books with me and probably spent no more than few minutes on them. I just felt guilty if I did not take them. They are not that useful. I should have taken only one reference book as I forgot to bring my lunch. I only had one bottle of water so I took the test starving. Now I got 6 minutes per problem. If I spent more than 3 minutes, then I realized that I wandered in the wrong path. I stopped. It appeared to me that they designed the test that way. The concept of the test is to gauge whether you know the subject or you don't. If you know, you can solve it under 1 minute instead of 6, 3 minutes max. I went through easy problems first, skipped if I did not how to solve it right away. When I revisited the old problems, I read and reread and understood what they asked for. The rule is not to solve it brute force, read the problems carefully. Some problems are straight some need to look in different angle. The information given in the problem is not always relevant. Maybe it is designed to throw you off course. I wish I knew my score, but I don't think it was more than 10 incorrect answers.

Passed WR&E First attempt.

AM: 34/40 Very Confident

PM: 20/40  Very Confident

If I could give anyone a little test-taking advice, it’d be this:

1)      Get really, really familiar with the AM portion material, no matter what discipline you end up taking. To me, these questions felt a lot like FE level questions, were much easier, and were much more straight forward than the afternoon portion. Spend enough time so you’re extremely confident with the basics of each discipline so you can crush the morning portion. These are the easy points.

2)      Know your reference materials. I'm a less-is-more kind of guy when it came to reference material, but whatever you decide to bring, make sure you know what’s in it. You can waste a ton of time trying to look something up in a book you’ve barely opened (I did this, don’t be like me). Be really familiar with the CERM. I probably used it on 90-95% percent of the problems where I had to look something up. Know what’s in it, including the appendices (which can be a huge time saver on some problems). You might not find this as helpful for you, but I also printed out a copy of the CERM index, 3-hole punched it, put it in its own binder and tabbed it alphabetically so I could look things up really quickly if I had to. It was useful during the test and while studying. A big time saver compared to flipping back and forth in the CERM.

3)      Don’t freak out if/when the PM portion feels really challenging. I got questions I had never seen before and didn’t have the first clue how to solve. Don’t let it throw you. Even if it happens multiple times. Move on and come back to it if you can.  Focus on the ones you think you’ll be able to solve. You might walk out of the PM portion feeling less-than-stellar, but don't throw in the towel. Keep your chin up!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WiMN195 said:

Passed WR&E First attempt.

AM: 34/40 Very Confident

PM: 20/40  Very Confident

If I could give anyone a little test-taking advice, it’d be this:

1)      Get really, really familiar with the AM portion material, no matter what discipline you end up taking. To me, these questions felt a lot like FE level questions, were much easier, and were much more straight forward than the afternoon portion. Spend enough time so you’re extremely confident with the basics of each discipline so you can crush the morning portion. These are the easy points.

2)      Know your reference materials. I'm a less-is-more kind of guy when it came to reference material, but whatever you decide to bring, make sure you know what’s in it. You can waste a ton of time trying to look something up in a book you’ve barely opened (I did this, don’t be like me). Be really familiar with the CERM. I probably used it on 90-95% percent of the problems where I had to look something up. Know what’s in it, including the appendices (which can be a huge time saver on some problems). You might not find this as helpful for you, but I also printed out a copy of the CERM index, 3-hole punched it, put it in its own binder and tabbed it alphabetically so I could look things up really quickly if I had to. It was useful during the test and while studying. A big time saver compared to flipping back and forth in the CERM.

3)      Don’t freak out if/when the PM portion feels really challenging. I got questions I had never seen before and didn’t have the first clue how to solve. Don’t let it throw you. Even if it happens multiple times. Move on and come back to it if you can.  Focus on the ones you think you’ll be able to solve. You might walk out of the PM portion feeling less-than-stellar, but don't throw in the towel. Keep your chin up!

Congrats! Would you like to celebrate with me and @8-10 Weeks Later next week at Fulton Brewery?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MspSdf said:

Congrats! Would you like to celebrate with me and @8-10 Weeks Later next week at Fulton Brewery?

Thanks! That's a definite possibility. I don't live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area but I'll be passing through on Friday. What day were you going?

Just now, WiMN195 said:

Thanks! That's a definite possibility. I don't live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area but I'll be passing through on Friday. What day were you going?

Next friday works for me if it works for you guys

Just now, 8-10 Weeks Later said:

Next friday works for me if it works for you guys

Works for me too as I will be going to the Twins game. DM me both your numbers and I will create a text group.

I passed Industrial. For both morning and afternoon sessions I divided the test into three groups: approximately 1/3 of questions I calculated and confidently answered; then 1/3 of them I dug thru my references and struggled to answer and then finally the remaining 1/3 I really struggled to answer by looking thru notes and reference material in order to answer. 

I’d like to add: time management is super imperative. 

I marked my booklet up with my answers and then saved filling in the bubbles on answer sheet until the last fifteen minutes or so 

On 5/14/2019 at 2:42 PM, EI_EI_OH said:

Passed Civil:WRE

Morning Session: I felt really good about the morning. I believe I only guessed on 3-5 problems, and I was able to come up with answers for all but 1 problem.

Afternoon Session: I thought this was a lot tougher than the three practice exams I took. Mainly because of the Environmental/Water Treatment Questions. I highly recommend the method of going through and answering the easiest problems first, the ones you think you can tackle with a little skimming of the reference material next, and then finally going after the problems that give you a full panic attack. I had to straight guess on 8-10 problems when time was about to run out. This caused me to think I might have failed, because in the three practice exams I was only guessing on about 5 problems per afternoon session.

I studied about 50-60 hours total. No prep classes. Just my reference materials and practice exams/problems.

Morning: ~35

Afternoon: 23-30

Where did you get your practice problems from?

Edited by CharlieHotel47_CE_WER

Passed Civil, Transportation second April attempt, 6 years out of college.  Wanted to share my experience for future test takers.  Started studying mid-October first try.  Studied apprx. 100 hours first attempt, mostly with CERM, NCEES practice problems and HCM.  Definitely over relied on the CERM.  Was never good at structures or geotech, and those killed me on the AM session first attempt.  Should have worked harder on my weak areas.  Also regret not getting more afternoon resources for Transportation.  There were a lot of PM session questions I assumed would be in the CERM, but were not and had to just guess on.  Felt cheated walking out on the PM session, but in reality I should have gotten more references.

Second attempt went with School of PE on-demand lectures.  Started studying again in mid-October, started on the School of PE lectures in early December.  Highly recommend.  SOPE notes were pretty much a second CERM, think I used SOPE notes/CERM 60/40 on AM exam day.  Finished SOPE lectures about a month before exam, and spent those last weeks hammering out practice problems/exams and continuing to get familiar with my references.  Brought HCM (of course they updated it since my first attempt, had to get twice), AASHTO Green Book (ABSOLUTELY NEED IT), HSM, Roadside Design Guide, MUTCD, PROWAG, NCEES practice exam, couple bound sheets of personal notes/problems and OSHA on exam day, in addition to CERM and SOPE notes.  All heavily tabbed and highlighted.  Totaled 175 hours studying on second attempt, including SOPE review class.

I definitely felt much more prepared second attempt, but did not feel confident I passed walking out of the exam room.  Had to guess on more than I expected to; I want to say I made complete guesses on 10 questions each session.  With the review I did and second attempt, was a bit disheartened to guess on that many completely.  Log into NCEES couple weeks later and boom, I had unexpectedly passed anyway.

Can’t speak for the other disciplines, but it will be hard to pass Transportation without most of the references.  Some are free online, but at the end of the day you will need to invest significant time and money to pass.  Some questions may be look-ups out of the references, and CERM will not cover everything in depth for PM.

Getting married in October so pretty much went all in this attempt and fortunately it paid off.  If you have trouble focusing I can’t recommend a review course enough.  A lot easier to focus after forking over an arm and a leg when you have to put the time in to make it worth it.  Good luck future exam takers!

Edited by Philly TF
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, CharlieHotel47_CE_WER said:

Where did you get your practice problems from?

• The practice exam that NCEES sells.
  • "Practice Exams for the Civil PE Exam" by Goswami. It had two full breadth exams.
  • "Six Minute Solutions for WRE" by Schneiter. I really liked this one.

I also worked some examples from the CERM.

Civil Structures

Morning: about 20 confident, about 4-5 not 100% sure, about 5-6 educated guess, about 10 random pick.

Afternoon: about 30 confident, about 5 not 100% sure, 5 random pick (probably could have made an educated guess or spend more time flipping through the codes but I was tired and just wanted to get out).

Civil WRE

AM 25 Confident 10 50% and 5 IDK

PM 24 Confident 8 50% and 8 IDK

I have taken Civil PE Transportation 3 times previously and I would like to say this time it seem alot easier in the morning. So I'm guessing the cutoff score for most of the Civil are higher this time. 

Edited by Fisherman504

Power here. I made educated guesses (or narrowed it down to 2 choices) on 2-3 questions, I felt like I had an answer for the others. I finished early both sessions and was very confident walking out. But I have 10 years experience, took a prep class, and put in ~200 hours over 4 months. I also spent a lot on reference materials, knowing my company would reimburse if I passed.