When You Should Add PE After Your Name - Page 2 - APR 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
RBHeadge PE

When You Should Add PE After Your Name

3 hours ago, Drewism said:

I'm in New York as well as my coworkers. On the website it says 4-6 weeks for an application review. Bummer. I remember when I passed the FE it took them about the same amount of time to issue me the intern engineer certificate.

You're in for a long wait. @JayKay0914

29 minutes ago, Ky_Su said:

Can you put "PE-candidate" if you passed the PE but still waiting for the license from the State?  

I wouldn't do that.

It's better to just wait the few weeks until it's official.

• fudgey 1

3 hours ago, Drewism said:

I'm in New York as well as my coworkers. On the website it says 4-6 weeks for an application review. Bummer. I remember when I passed the FE it took them about the same amount of time to issue me the intern engineer certificate.

One of my other coworkers passed and is already using the title. Tisk, tisk, tisk.

@RBHeadge PE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Is this a PE application?  You are for sure to have longer than a 4-6 week review period, based on my recent dealings with them.  That department is a little bit of a shit show right now with reviewing since they have the PG applications and now rolling applications for both new applications and cross-state applications(meaning they don't have two busy periods, the whole time is a busy period).

As for using the title...I work in consulting (aka; a ton of lawyers), so I told people I passed, but I didn't add PE to the end of my name/title until I had the official number from the op search. False advertising my accreditation and licensure could hurt me and my company, depending on proposals and bid packages.  It's better to wait and not get in trouble legally.  I'd maybe mention that to your co-workers that they're not legally a PE until they have a license number.

1 hour ago, JayKay0914 said:

@RBHeadge PE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Is this a PE application?  You are for sure to have longer than a 4-6 week review period, based on my recent dealings with them.  That department is a little bit of a shit show right now with reviewing since they have the PG applications and now rolling applications for both new applications and cross-state applications(meaning they don't have two busy periods, the whole time is a busy period).

As for using the title...I work in consulting (aka; a ton of lawyers), so I told people I passed, but I didn't add PE to the end of my name/title until I had the official number from the op search. False advertising my accreditation and licensure could hurt me and my company, depending on proposals and bid packages.  It's better to wait and not get in trouble legally.  I'd maybe mention that to your co-workers that they're not legally a PE until they have a license number.

OMG no. It will probably be December before I get issued a license. If I don't hear anything by late July, I will inquire.

Edited by Drewism

1 hour ago, Ky_Su said:

Can you put "PE-candidate" if you passed the PE but still waiting for the license from the State?  

I agree with RB on this one, I wouldn’t do it. At best, “PE-candidate,” is only possibly (borderline) legal, so I wouldn’t risk it. Further, it doesn’t really hold any authority. I’d make the same argument for listing EIT after your signature.

Disclaimer: I don’t currently use P.E. after my name in most general correspondence. Official documents, yes, but in general I don’t list it on my e-mail.

Edited by ChebyshevII_PE

1 minute ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

I agree with RB on this one, I wouldn’t do it. PE-candidate, while possibly (borderline) legal, doesn’t really hold any authority. I’d make the same argument for listing EIT after your signature.

Disclaimer: I don’t currently use P.E. after my name in most general correspondence. Official documents, yes, but in general I don’t list it on my e-mail.

Yup. Also there is no benefit of writing PE-candidate. If you want to write something in a resume, you can mention you passed the exam and awaiting license.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cvanwy02 said:

Got an email that my application was approved and I now show up in the system an an active licensed Professional Engineer in Michigan.... Yahooo

Wow, really? When did you submit your materials? I sent mine in the evening scores were released and still haven't heard back...

5 hours ago, Ky_Su said:

Looks dumb and doesn't add anything to your name. Wait til you get a license #.

I just took and passed the Power PE Exam this cycle (April 2019). Previously, I worked doing industrial design (P&C mostly); however, I recently graduated with my BSEE in May of 2018. So, I haven't even had a year of work experience that counts towards my years of experience. I know not to put PE after my name, but Is it ok to put something like this (see below) on your LinkedIn page. Where the website references your NCEES Result Verification?

image.png.5a7179e86c2288e792bec0a41718648e.png

Edited by Snowman
(before response) I removed it from my Profile. I just put it on temporarily to create this post to show what I meant.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Snowman said:

I just took and passed the Power PE Exam this cycle (April 2019). Previously, I worked doing industrial design (P&C mostly); however, I recently graduated with my BSEE in May of 2018. So, I haven't even had a year of work experience that counts towards my years of experience. I know not to put PE after my name, but Is it ok to put something like this (see below) on your LinkedIn page. Where the website references your NCEES Result Verification?

image.png.5a7179e86c2288e792bec0a41718648e.png

I would say it’s okay. You wouldn’t be implying that you are a P.E. just by stating that you passed an exam that happens to be required in the track to earn the title.

Passing your exam is something to be proud of, and it looks good on your resume. Flaunt away!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

I wouldn't do that.

It's better to just wait the few weeks until it's official.

3 hours ago, Stephen2awesome said:

Looks dumb and doesn't add anything to your name. Wait til you get a license #.

You're probably right.  But, I'm seeing more and more MBA-candidate, CPA-candidate, Phd-candidate, it's only a matter of time until there's a PE-candidate?

7 hours ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

I agree with RB on this one, I wouldn’t do it. At best, “PE-candidate,” is only possibly (borderline) legal, so I wouldn’t risk it. Further, it doesn’t really hold any authority. I’d make the same argument for listing EIT after your signature.

I don't think just having a PE after your name on a document carries any authority.  It will, maybe, carry more weight, but probably not authority.  "PE" is a form of regulated advertisement.  Just like not any company can have some form of "engineering" in its name without being registered to protect the "health, safety and welfare" of the public.  Most, if not all, Boards require a seal and signature on an official document with professional opinions.  Now that will carry authority.  One may even get in trouble for placing PE after the name and not sealing a document with opinions that are considered "professional".

6 minutes ago, Ky_Su said:

You're probably right.  But, I'm seeing more and more MBA-candidate, CPA-candidate, Phd-candidate, it's only a matter of time until there's a PE-candidate?

There already is a legal term title for PE-candidate: Engineer in Training (EIT).

I can at least understand the usage of PhD candidate under very limited circumstances. But I've never heard of MBA- or CPA-candidate, that just reeks of overcompensation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NASATimp said:

Wow, really? When did you submit your materials? I sent mine in the evening scores were released and still haven't heard back...

I sent mine like 10 minutes after the results were released haha... I already had everything filled out and ready to hit send.  A co worker submitted his line 3 hours after me and still hasn't heard... I'm guessing I was the first application on their list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cvanwy02 said:

I sent mine like 10 minutes after the results were released haha... I already had everything filled out and ready to hit send.  A co worker submitted his line 3 hours after me and still hasn't heard... I'm guessing I was the first application on their list.

Wow! Yes, that would make a big difference. You were on the ball. I had electronic copies of my transcripts ready to submit, but I didn't have the reference form ready to go because I didn't want to tell any of my co-workers I'd taken the test if I didn't pass (which given my lax approach to prep was a definite possibility). :-) So I got it signed that afternoon and emailed it in.

There is a "Checklist" function on the Michigan site your co-worker can check out if he's curious. The link is on the first screen you get to after logging in. The "time sink" here must be going through all the transcript and reference emails, because I see those are the only two items on mine left, although they were submitted at the same time as everything else. (P.S. I submitted three separate transcripts so I apologize to everyone behind me in line! Glad you got in ahead.)

image.png.7c06481600c1a660fa4c976d751f38fd.png

Edited by NASATimp

3 hours ago, NASATimp said:

Wow! Yes, that would make a big difference. You were on the ball. I had electronic copies of my transcripts ready to submit, but I didn't have the reference form ready to go because I didn't want to tell any of my co-workers I'd taken the test if I didn't pass (which given my lax approach to prep was a definite possibility). 🙂 So I got it signed that afternoon and emailed it in.

There is a "Checklist" function on the Michigan site your co-worker can check out if he's curious. The link is on the first screen you get to after logging in. The "time sink" here must be going through all the transcript and reference emails, because I see those are the only two items on mine left, although they were submitted at the same time as everything else. (P.S. I submitted three separate transcripts so I apologize to everyone behind me in line! Glad you got in ahead.)

image.png.7c06481600c1a660fa4c976d751f38fd.png

I never saw the checklist.  I went to check it and now it just shows I have an active license.

• Thanks 1

@RBHeadge PE why would my license say it expires 10/31/2019 when I just got it?  A co-worker of mine who has had their license for a year expires 10/31/2020.

Edited by cvanwy02
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, cvanwy02 said:

@RBHeadge PE why would my license say it expires 10/31/2019 when I just got it?  A co-worker of mine who has had their license for a year expires 10/31/2020.

In WA the license expires every two years, but my first expiration date was my birthday following when I was immediately licensed. I guess they want to get their money’s worth out of you right away :P

Pros and Cons for each state i guess, took Georgia some extra time to allow the NCEES email to go out but i already had a license number before i even received the pass notification. Same day i was able to print my license from the state board site, order my wall license for framing. 

59 minutes ago, cvanwy02 said:

Mine also expires 10/31/2019 (in fact, punching in random numbers around mine, all of the recently-issued licenses do). Annoying. At least Michigan is one of the cheapest states to renew in!

14 minutes ago, NASATimp said:

Mine also expires 10/31/2019 (in fact, punching in random numbers around mine, all of the recently-issued licenses do). Annoying. At least Michigan is one of the cheapest states to renew in!

Two of my other co workers who just got licensed also expires on 10/31/19... strange

34 minutes ago, cvanwy02 said:

Two of my other co workers who just got licensed also expires on 10/31/19... strange

It seems to be literally everybody licensed in the recent batch.

1 hour ago, cvanwy02 said:

Michigan licenses are for a period of two years and expire October 31 in odd number years.

See https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-89334_72600_72602_72731_72865_91777-447980--,00.html

• Thanks 2

I seem to recall that some boards have newly minted PE licenses expire ~6 months from initial issuing.  Honestly can't remember why or which ones though, so take it for a grain of salt.