New York Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. But I didn't expect license at all right away. Is it the norm in other states to be simultaneous? 
I think some states do keep results back so they can issue everything at once (and I think some states you have your PE license number already, and passing the exam is the final 'key' to being an official PE), but I really only know-know that NYS is either really fast issuing license or really slow, depending on how many are being issued for in/out of state.

So how does the license number wait play out for those that passed? The website states 4-6 weeks and then encourages to look yourself up to see if you were licensed. Any other insights, experiences?

So how does the license number wait play out for those that passed? The website states 4-6 weeks and then encourages to look yourself up to see if you were licensed. Any other insights, experiences?
go look at OCT 2018 results threads , it's in there

honestly, i got mine fairly quick, others not so much.  i was obsessively looking every day to see if i was licensed, ha
Define 'fairly quick' lol. Can't be earlier than 4 weeks right? And I gleaned that it's alphabetical order. Is your last name early in alphabet? 

honestly, i got mine fairly quick, others not so much.  i was obsessively looking every day to see if i was licensed, ha
Also, the process to get approved to sit for NY PE exam is already very rigorous. I wonder why there's another review after the test...

Define 'fairly quick' lol. Can't be earlier than 4 weeks right? And I gleaned that it's alphabetical order. Is your last name early in alphabet? 
I think for the last exam they started issuing licenses as early as a week or two after results were released?  They did go alphabetical...but had it split.  So one person seemed to be uploading starting at A's and another person was uploading starting with P's.  Then they started uploading commodity licenses at the same time, so it became a little confusing.

As for another review...I don't think it's specifically a review?  I think it's more of manpower required to enter in the new licensee information into the database.  It might just be a couple of people in NYSDOE who is responsible for uploading all licenses for NYS to the database, i.e., engineering, nursing, geologist, etc. etc., so it could just be a giant bottleneck.

I think for the last exam they started issuing licenses as early as a week or two after results were released?  They did go alphabetical...but had it split.  So one person seemed to be uploading starting at A's and another person was uploading starting with P's.  Then they started uploading commodity licenses at the same time, so it became a little confusing.

As for another review...I don't think it's specifically a review?  I think it's more of manpower required to enter in the new licensee information into the database.  It might just be a couple of people in NYSDOE who is responsible for uploading all licenses for NYS to the database, i.e., engineering, nursing, geologist, etc. etc., so it could just be a giant bottleneck.
"PE exams - After receiving a passing result, it will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for a status review of your licensure application file. If you meet all requirements for licensure, you will be granted a license as soon as possible."

From the NYSED website, hence my confusion with another 'review.'

What you wrote makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI, I am also eagerly checking the site everyday. Hope it comes this week. 

I just passed the power PE in NYS and I have been checking everyday as well. I didn't understand what it means that the applications have to undergo a "status review".

On the application they ask all of the pertinent questions such as education, experience, etc. So, my understanding was that if you can sit for the exam and pass then you're pretty much good to go. As others have said, I guess it takes time to input the information into the database to issue licenses.

I remember when I passed my FE it took about 4-5 weeks to get my certificate in the mail. Could be the same amount of time for the actual license. We'll see.

Until then I'll just keep the refreshing the site daily just in case but I expect the wait to be no less than 4 weeks.

Back